String 1.14.5: crash fix + global tuning

Official support for: loomer.co.uk
RELATED
PRODUCTS

colin@loomer wrote:All credit must go to the helpful support chaps at NI, but I believe I now know what is causing this Maschine (and Kore) issue. I'll endeavour to get an amended version built tomorrow.

Alan: If it's OK, could I send you this update for you to confirm the fix before I make it public? Thanks!
Hey Colin,

Sorry, I didn't see this before today (it's been kinda crazy here)... always feel free to just email me anything directly. :)

I just installed the 1.3.12 beta linked in the post above and can confirm that it fixes the problem in both Kore and Maschine. I think we're good to go sir!

Alan

Fantastic, thanks for letting me know. I'm both embarrassed that this issue took so long to fix, but equally relieved it finally is!

I'll get this release made official tomorrow, then.
Architect, the modular MIDI toolkit, beta now available for macOS, Windows, and Linux.

colin@loomer wrote:Fantastic, thanks for letting me know. I'm both embarrassed that this issue took so long to fix, but equally relieved it finally is!

I'll get this release made official tomorrow, then.
It's all good Colin... my music-making time has been at a minimum recently (hence the busy!) and we got there in the end! :)

I think my main concern was that the issue was a sign that Kore was going down the pan, relieved that it isn't!

(We'll have to catch up via email soon, it's been too long :) )

taoyoyo wrote: my music-making time has been at a minimum recently (hence the busy!)
I know the feeling (although I assume that busy also means work is going well for you?)
Absolutely: I can't believe how time flies!

I may as well make this release official now:

String for Mac OS X has now been updated to 1.3.12. Download it here. Just the one change in this release:
  • (fix: Mac OS X) Fixed issue which could cause String to be skipped by Kore or Maschine's plug-in scan.
The update is only worth installing for users of Kore or Maschine on Mac OS X. If this doesn't apply, I'd recommend skipping this update and staying with 1.3.11.
Architect, the modular MIDI toolkit, beta now available for macOS, Windows, and Linux.

colin@loomer wrote:
taoyoyo wrote: my music-making time has been at a minimum recently (hence the busy!)
I know the feeling (although I assume that busy also means work is going well for you?)
Absolutely: I can't believe how time flies!
Busy (but work-free) weekend here... will drop you a line this week! :)

Work is going almost too well (i.e.: there's too much of it! ;) )

Got String yesterday and been playing with it since then :) Great sound, very light on CPU, awesome chorus (can be used separately, yay!).

Also found a minor problem: the ordering of presets in the browser is messed up just like ordering of samples in Cumulus 1.0. Very likely it's the same Linux-specific problem related to on-disk file sorting and it is easily reproduced by installing the HunterKiller bank - all the new presets will be ordered randomly. Not really a major issue, but maybe it can be fixed in some future update?

Yes, no problem, I'll get that fixed asap. I'm just looking into an issue with String when hosted by Reaper, so I'll combine both of these fixes into a release.

EDIT: Actually, I think this preset order bug was fixed in a previous build. Have you got the most recent Linux version?

I've uploaded beta builds of String 1.14.1 for both 32-bit and 64-bit Linux; download them here.

Preset sort order seems to works fine in this build - it'd be great if you could confirm / deny this. It also adds XDG Base Directory compatibility, a few UI tweaks, and other minor compatibility fixes.

Thanks!

colin@loomer wrote:EDIT: Actually, I think this preset order bug was fixed in a previous build. Have you got the most recent Linux version?
Oops, I've got 1.3.0 indeed. The sorting bug is fixed in both 1.3.11 and 1.14.1. The new UI looks good too. Thanks!

Great, thanks for letting me know. I've just waiting on confirmation for another String fix: once I have the OK, I'll get an official release pushed out (which won't be this version, by the way - there was a minor bug involving VST categories for the FX plug-in in this build. I fix one bug, another pops up in to take its place!)

Another beta; this time, version 1.14.5. This update adds the following:
  • (fix: Windows 64-bit VST) Fix for immediate VST crash which could occur on certain hosts when run in Windows XP 64-bit.
  • (feature) Added "Tuning" parameter to modulation section. This enables String to be tuned up or down a half-semitone in either direction from standard concert pitch. Previously saved presets and projects will use A=440Hz by default.
  • (feature: Linux) Added "Show Directory" to the preset browser, which will will reveal the selected preset directory in your window manager.
Download String 1.14.5 for Mac OS X, Windows, and Linux here.

Provided nothing nasty emerges from the testing woodwork, I'll flick the switch and make this the official release tomorrow.

Thanks!

This beautiful instrument just gets better and better....
The inner workings of vurts mind are a force to be reckoned with.
music is a need in my life...yes I could survive without it but tbh I dont know how
myfeebleeffort
https://paulroach2.bandcamp.com/
https://hearthis.at/83hdtrvm/

jethrobull wrote:This beautiful instrument just gets better and better....
Thanks; much appreciated!

I've now made String 1.14.5 the official release: download it here, go make some beautiful music!

colin@loomer wrote:
jethrobull wrote:This beautiful instrument just gets better and better....
Thanks; much appreciated!

I've now made String 1.14.5 the official release: download it here, go make some beautiful music!
Lovely jubly :love:
music is a need in my life...yes I could survive without it but tbh I dont know how
myfeebleeffort

seriously though, I would sell everything in my arsenal apart from the Loomer stuff!
myfeebleeffort

Return to “Loomer”