Login / Register  0 items | $0.00New @ What is KVR? Submit News Advertise

Cubase 7 will load Cubase SX project files?

Plug-in hosts and other software applications discussion

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

ChamomileShark
KVRian

687 posts since 12 May, 2004, from Oxford, UK

Postby ChamomileShark; Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:39 am Cubase 7 will load Cubase SX project files?

hi, my current old PC seems to be failing so it looks as if I will need to move to a new machine.

I can't seem to find this on the Cubase site, will Cubase 7 running on Widows 7 definately be able to open and edit projects created in Cubase SX? I have them all safe on an external drive currently.
Compyfox
KVRAF

12278 posts since 18 Oct, 2003, from Berlin, Germany

Postby Compyfox; Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:17 am

This should be possible, as the file ending changed with SX from old Cubase VST5. Steinberg even released SX3 as ISO for free for Cubase 5 (and up) users that wanted to migrate their old projects.

I recently loaded a Cubase 5 project in Cubase 7 - no problem whatsoever. And since the topography didn't change, this should worh with SX as well.
fcscholz
KVRer

10 posts since 13 Jun, 2013, from Mannheim

Postby fcscholz; Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:32 am

It SHOULD... Please keep us up-to-date!
ChamomileShark
KVRian

Postby ChamomileShark; Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:01 am

ok, I think if no one has actually done this I'll ask Steinberg directly. I have a fair number of SX projects which I am part way through.
Compyfox
KVRAF

12278 posts since 18 Oct, 2003, from Berlin, Germany

Postby Compyfox; Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:51 am

*sigh* I said it should work, and apparently, it does.

I just digged out a project from 2006, made with Cubase 3.1.1.x and aside from the missing plugins I used back in the day - it's running perfectly fine.

So there you have it, go ahead, update to C7, finish your Cubase SX3 projects.

And yes, loading and editing of Cubase 5 and Cubase 6 projects also work of course. Only if you have older projects (Cubase VST times), then you need SX1 to SX3 to convert.

I can't tell you anything about SX1 and SX2 projects, I jumped directly from VST5 to SX3. But if Cubase 7 can load SX3 projects, it can also load SX1 and SX2 projects. As I said - the file format is the same!
ChamomileShark
KVRian

Postby ChamomileShark; Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:11 am

thanks!
whitecloud
KVRist

364 posts since 16 Dec, 2008, from Washington State

Postby whitecloud; Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:19 am

What a coincidence. I upgraded from Cubase 5 Essentials(32 bit)to Cubase 7 Artist 64 bit earlier this month. I have a bunch of old DVD backup projects from SX 1 and Cubase 5 Essentials would not open them. For the life of me I "lost" my old Syncrosoft dongle and really wanted to go back and finish stuff that I did so many years ago. I was stuck in the mud. Then the other day I found that dongle in the most obvious place. Then I tried to see what current plugs I have that would work with SX, then I remembered something. I demoed 6.5 when it was current ended up not buying it and I believe it did load those old SX projects. I am in the process of copying 5 or 6 DVD's to my D drive and will try to import them into 7. I'll report back but I am optimistic. Seems like i remember that newer Version of Cubase other than Sx 1 or 2 changed the project file and they would not open again with SX 1 so have a backup copy.
Amon1973
KVRian

861 posts since 2 Sep, 2010, from EU

Postby Amon1973; Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:43 am

Here you can find the Projects Compatibility Chart for products from SX/SL/SE 3 onwards.

https://www.steinberg.net/en/support/kn ... files.html

Cheers
ChamomileShark
KVRian

Postby ChamomileShark; Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:09 am

thanks unfortunately that just takes me to the home page - also going to the knowledge base and typing in compatibility of project files and then search it says it can't find anything.
electro
KVRAF

3569 posts since 5 May, 2002

Postby electro; Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:12 am

I know SX3 will open up fine under C7 and you need SX3 if you want to create .fxb and .fxp presets.

I think for full compatibility you may want to load SX1 files in SX3 and resave before trying to load in C7.
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM
ChamomileShark
KVRian

Postby ChamomileShark; Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:19 am

thanks for that electro - I possibly don't have too many in SX1/SX2 but I'll go through them. thanks
electro
KVRAF

3569 posts since 5 May, 2002

Postby electro; Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:27 am

I believe SX2 introduced the 2 post fader FX which may compromise mixes from SX1.
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM
Amon1973
KVRian

861 posts since 2 Sep, 2010, from EU

Postby Amon1973; Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:47 am

ChamomileShark wrote:thanks unfortunately that just takes me to the home page - also going to the knowledge base and typing in compatibility of project files and then search it says it can't find anything.

mmmmhh, sorry. Don't know why, I was able to load it normally.

This is the direct link to the .png:

https://www.steinberg.net/fileadmin/red ... ity_V2.png

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)