sE Munro Egg 150's. Bought.

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Etiquette isn't the right word, but I'm struggling to find a better one.

I have narrowed my choice of monitors down to four, all of which will be auditioned in the store prior to purchase with a selection of my own CD's.
However, this audition obviously won't factor in the acoustics of my own room.

Is it appropriate to ask to take all four sets home to try and return three?
I would be (reluctantly) willing to purchase all four on credit card if I knew i'd be guaranteed a refund.

The question is whether this is an appropriate/reasonable thing to request from the store?

BTW, the monitor types have purposely been left out of this question because I don't want a conversation about them right now 8)
Last edited by Mushy Mushy on Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Asking them couldn't hurt but if I was a business owner, I'd be loathe to let stock leave my premises unless it was paid for...they may allow you to test one set at a time...assuming you had left credit card details with them..
4 sets of monitors wouldn't be an option.
I'm tired of being insane. I'm going outsane for some fresh air.

werp wrote:Asking them couldn't hurt but if I was a business owner, I'd be loathe to let stock leave my premises unless it was paid for...they may allow you to test one set at a time...assuming you had left credit card details with them..
4 sets of monitors wouldn't be an option.
Ok fair points but one at a time is useless.
I need side by side comparison.

I doubt they will go for it. Would you want to buy "new" monitors in an opened box that someone already used?

I demoed my selection instore...insisting that I placed them where I liked..within reason..avoiding corners and walls..and teenagers cranking out stairway to heaven.......

Frantz wrote:I doubt they will go for it. Would you want to buy "new" monitors in an opened box that someone already used?
Nup definitely not. But most stores (this one included) operate under a 30-day return policy.
Presumably they sell these items again as opened/B-stock.

Allowing all 4 out for demo is very unlikely, unless you're going really high end. I reckon your best bet is:

1. Check out your short list of monitors in store

- the list will almost certainly narrow to 1 or 2 out of your current selections

2. Kindly ask if you are allowed to demo your favoured set at home

- some stores won't have a problem with this

When you get the demo set home if you're not happy with them ask to try out the other set. The alternative is to purchase the favoured set, and make a genuine return if they sound crap in your room.

Peace,
Andy.
... space is the place ...

werp wrote:I demoed my selection instore...insisting that I placed them where I liked..within reason..avoiding corners and walls..and teenagers cranking out stairway to heaven.......
I think this us what I'll end up doing.
It's such a big decision though :?

ZenPunkHippy wrote:Allowing all 4 out for demo is very unlikely, unless you're going really high end. I reckon your best bet is:

1. Check out your short list of monitors in store

- the list will almost certainly narrow to 1 or 2 out of your current selections

2. Kindly ask if you are allowed to demo your favoured set at home

- some stores won't have a problem with this

When you get the demo set home if you're not happy with them ask to try out the other set. The alternative is to purchase the favoured set, and make a genuine return if they sound crap in your room.

Peace,
Andy.
Extremely logical and sensible advice as always Andy.

Sounds like a plan 8)

Mushy Mushy wrote:
werp wrote:I demoed my selection instore...insisting that I placed them where I liked..within reason..avoiding corners and walls..and teenagers cranking out stairway to heaven.......
Then I bought them from ebay and saved $600 :D

werp wrote:
Mushy Mushy wrote:
Then I bought them from ebay and saved $600 :D
LOL. Yeah I do feel sorry for them.
I think I would give the store the courtesy of purchase unless the saving was massive.

That company has made enough from me on guitars already 'he said innocently'

Mushy Mushy wrote:I think I would give the store the courtesy of purchase unless the saving was massive.
Might have suggested this last time you asked about monitors, but most stores will match online prices - or get very close - if you ask. They know they have to compete on price otherwise they lose out.

Probably best to find out before going through the demo process, though.

Peace,
Andy.
... space is the place ...

It depends on the store. I used to go to a studio supplier years back that would happily let you try gear out at home. I think they would have baulked at letting me take 4 sets of monitors though. But those kind of suppliers tend to get to know you - they certainly are a bit easier with regular customers. I never found more mainstream music stores to be quite as easy about it, and my supplier really wasn't set up as a straight retail outlet - it was dedicated to studio stuff only. Having said that - they had a well set up auditioning room, and its accoustics were far better than my own home studio, so I generally found it a better place to check out gear. My philosophy is that I want to know how it sounds in good conditions - your own room will have nodes so that you can't adequately judge the speakers at certain frequencies. You're going to have to compensate for your room anyway, so you may as well start out at the best position you can.(IMO)

A decent supplier will set up all 4 speakers at their showroom so that you can A/B them, so it's only a matter of taking in CDs that you know really well (and some of your own mixes that you know really well). I suspect you'll end up having to do it this way.
Last edited by kritikon on Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ZenPunkHippy wrote:
Mushy Mushy wrote:I think I would give the store the courtesy of purchase unless the saving was massive.
Might have suggested this last time you asked about monitors, but most stores will match online prices - or get very close - if you ask. They know they have to compete on price otherwise they lose out.
:oops:
Yep, it's been a long time coming.

I was close before but ended up spending that money on a holiday.

The store I'm thinking of are quite good. I will be very up front with them all about my intentions. They may even have better suggestions. After all they do this every day.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”