Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 New What is KVR? Submit News Advertise
mystran
KVRAF

4478 posts since 11 Feb, 2006, from Helsinki, Finland

Postby mystran; Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:06 pm another toy for your pleasure: my "Dust Arp 32" polyphonic "MIDI" gate

Ok, more coherent description (and more coherent video):

Dust Arp 32 (for 32 steps.. there is 64-bit version too, but Windows only) is a polyphonic pattern arpeggiator of sorts. It was original designed as a "MIDI level gate" but it quickly become obvious that it works as an arpeggiator too.

It doesn't do anything with audio: you feed it MIDI notes, and it'll send MIDI notes out (which you need to route to some sound generator).

Download here.

Since the original video was considered too confusing, here is a sort of tutorial. See the "youtube annotations" for descriptions of what is going on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzt2OfU5sb0

Basic description (explained in the video too) is that it takes the incoming MIDI notes, assigns them to the "rows" automatically, and then plays notes when the given step is set to have a note on that row.

Left-click will set short notes. Right-click will set ties. If there was already a dot of that type where you click, it'll draw in "erase" mode instead.

Gate sets the length of the "short" notes, while "ties" will end at the end of the step, unless there's a note at the next step (that is played, in case of jumps), at which point the two notes will merge into one.

Shift (with either button) will draw "monophonic" only.
Control (with either button) will affect "everything above" that row.
With both shift and control, everything above draws, everything below clears.

The horizontal slider below the dots will set the pattern length.
The vertical bars below that will set the velocities of the notes that start at that step.

It has some "intelligence" to try to do the "right thing" which can sometimes result in somewhat confusing behavior, but it tries really hard to avoid anything "bad" going on.. so you should always get something "sort of reasonable" even when you do random things on the fly.

There is full automation recording of everything (with a slightly confusing VST encoding), but be careful when automating both dots and pattern (preset) selection at the same time, as the automation playback will affect currently selected pattern, not the one that it was recorded for.
Last edited by mystran on Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:45 am, edited 6 times in total.
Image <- plugins | forum
t3toooo
KVRAF

1776 posts since 24 Dec, 2005

Postby t3toooo; Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:15 pm

fixed your screwed link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzZeqdAnt9k

looks and sounds very interesting. :)

(edit wired,now the video in the above post just shows up fine)
mystran
KVRAF

Postby mystran; Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:26 pm

I'll use this post to store the original (incomprehensible post). Feel free to ignore, the same info is largely in the more coherent new post on top.

---
So.. what is a "polyphonic midi slicer"?

(No, it doesn't have an OSX version, you can leave now.)

Well, it's.. I don't know. The plugin is called "Dust Arp 32" because it has 32 steps (it does come as 64-bit version though, which is called "Dust Arp 32-x64"). Now.. this was originally designed to be a polyphonic MIDI gate, but.. obviously such a thing can be (ab-)used as an arpeggiator as well, and calling the plugin "PolyMidiGate" just didn't quite seem right.

It is currently available for download from here. It'll get a page as well (and maybe some additional features) but I've spent "significant number of" hours today doing and testing new release builds, so I'm really not in the mood for website updates... so I wanted to do something fun and release this thing.

Because screenshots are boring, here's a video that is at least as incoherent as this forum post (ie me randomly playing around with it, not really a demonstration video, there's two of those polyphonic midi slicers for double the pleasure though).. well t3toooo had the old one embedded.

I made [that older] video before I decided to go with the "old knob style" so don't panic.

The slightly more coherent description follows:

- currently held MIDI notes are allocated to the 8 lanes (this is done whenever the step changes) in order from bottom to top (the current alloc shows on the GUI). It might actually support hold-pedal too (let me know if it doesn't seem to work). When there's a "dot" it'll send a note.

- left-click to set short notes, right-click for ties (the : markers).. and click again to clear, drag around to paint (the type of dot that you click will determine if it'll start painting or erasing). Holding ctrl will replicate the edits to all the slots above, while holding shift will force "mono-phonic" drawing (except if you hold both, then it'll just clear anything below, and replicate to above).

- the horizontal bar below the dots sets the pattern length and the icon to the left of that is a drop-down-menu for various options for editing

- the vertical bars below that will set velocities of notes triggered on that step

- gate controls how long the short notes are (and setting it to zero will stop sending any notes at all), while "stepdiv" controls how host playback position is converted to internal time.

Additional incoherence:

You can automate preset-selection (each preset is treated as a "pattern") as a VST parameter (use the selector on the GUI to get it to send automation data to host for recording). I'd also like to know if that's too confusing for someone's favourite host. For another, EVERYTHING can be automated. Yes, that means every single dot (and the ties, and the velocities) except they are encoded as 8-bit masks into parameters, so there wouldn't be a zillion of them.. but they should record when tweaked from the GUI (or feel free to try to automated them in other ways). I recommend saving your settings before you attempt to use both features at the same time, though (because.. mm.. playback goes to the active pattern, not the one it was recorded from.. silly as it is). :P

Secondly, this only processes MIDI. You send it note-on messages (and optionally other stuff, some of which might pass-through).. and it'll slice it into shorter notes, depending on the dots on the GUI.. and you will have to route that to some synthesizer to get some sound out of it.

Thirdly.. it should be robust against tweaking on the fly, should stay in time as long as you don't do weird tempo-automation, and should always do something sensible (not necessarily what you want, but if you get "glitches" please let me know). It will NOT change notes during ties (well, it should not), so if you tie everything non-stop (on a loop), then you can't have it change the note (this is.. by design).

Fourthly.. if the host transport is playing, it'll lock to that. If not, it'll start internal timer on first note-on, and let it run for a bit after the last one. If no further notes are received during that short period, it'll stop.

Lastly.. support will be unavailable until I wake-up, since I really should have gone to bet hours ago..
Last edited by mystran on Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image <- plugins | forum
mystran
KVRAF

Postby mystran; Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:13 am

Ok, either this was not an interesting plugin, or I timed things really badly, or the description was totally incomprensible, because I seriously don't remember it ever happening that nobody says anything. :o
Image <- plugins | forum
hma
KVRist

248 posts since 13 Jan, 2006, from top down

Postby hma; Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:40 am

For me it is description. Looks interesting, but what does it exactly do? Let's say I send a midi note through it, what can I do to it using this?
Guenon
KVRian

918 posts since 17 Jun, 2005

Postby Guenon; Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:47 am

mystran wrote:Ok, either this was not an interesting plugin, or I timed things really badly, or the description was totally incomprensible, because I seriously don't remember it ever happening that nobody says anything. :o

Haha :)... Awwh. I'll be sure to test this before tomorrow. It does seem very interesting!
Rah
KVRist

456 posts since 30 May, 2013, from Space is the Place

Postby Rah; Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:54 am

It does look interesting, but alas, I could not make heads or tails of your description. I'ma play with it later. Thanks!
bk
KVRian

1473 posts since 15 Aug, 2003, from Indianapolis

Postby bk; Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:04 am

I'll download this and try it later. It looks cool, but I doubt I'll understand it until I try it myself.

I'm not sure if it's a step sequencer or a programmable arpeggiator, a combination of those two, or something else completely.

I think your video is a little off-putting in that it's way too complex to actually understand what's going on. You're too close to the project, and understand it intimately, while we're standing outside looking in wondering what the hell you're doing!

Maybe start with a single blank instance with a monophonic sound source, then add in dots, giving it time to sink in and understand what's going on before moving on to poly?
Jedinhopy
KVRian

804 posts since 20 May, 2010, from Home

Postby Jedinhopy; Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:38 am

The name (polyphonic midi slicer) sounds like (midi file beat slicer).
Manipulating a midi file the same way as putting a wave file into fruity slicer.
Musical Gym
KVRAF

4779 posts since 23 May, 2004, from square1

Postby Musical Gym; Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:54 am

I don't see a download link for it.
lingyai
KVRAF

1959 posts since 27 Jan, 2011

Postby lingyai; Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:59 am

bk wrote:I think your video is a little off-putting in that it's way too complex to actually understand what's going on. You're too close to the project, and understand it intimately, while we're standing outside looking in wondering what the hell you're doing!

+1

Mystran: while you're still at the early stages of release, you have a golden opportunity which many devs forgo, thereby limiting the size / loyalty of their user / customer base -- i.e., the opportunity to get an outsider to help you produce clear, proper documentation, be it a video walkthrough, a PDF tutorial or whatever.

I know it's a mundane task for some devs. But I've lost track of how many cool-seeming things I've walked away from -- even free ones -- because in the end I couldn't figure it out; and was also a bit resentful that the dev couldn't be bothered to explain it properly. You'll be disappointed if you think that people, completely spoiled for choice, are going to spend much time puzzling over how to use your product, which to them is just the latest in an endless stream, if you won't help explain it. Make it easy for people; it's the first step to converting them into users.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tDj_Van ... uNbgY-4qFK

I'm not the Messiah. I'm not the Messiah!
bk
KVRian

1473 posts since 15 Aug, 2003, from Indianapolis

Postby bk; Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:39 am

Just had a quick play with this, and it is a very cool tool. Works fine for me in Reaper 4.

Haven't completely wrapped my head around it yet, but it is somewhat of a cross between a stepseq and a polyphonic arp.

The notes you are holding down show up on the left hand side, always in order from lowest at the bottom to highest at the top. You can hold down as many as 8 notes and if there is a dot in that lane and you're holding down that note it will play the note on that beat.

If you're holding down three notes, add a fourth, and release one of the original three, everything will shift back down to the bottom three lanes, meaning the notes do not necessarily stay with their original lane.

It is very difficult to describe, but not so difficult to comprehend once you've tried it.

It also contains several randomize functions.

I'm waiting for someone cleverer than I to create some cool presets and share them here!

Well done, Mystran!
Holophonic
KVRist

454 posts since 22 Nov, 2005

Postby Holophonic; Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:49 am

murnau
KVRAF

4999 posts since 13 Jan, 2005, from Zeppelinhaupttribüne

Postby murnau; Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:53 am

thanx mystran - looks very interesting. i'll try it.
Signature blocked until 5000+ posts made
Halma
KVRian

1009 posts since 9 Apr, 2012

Postby Halma; Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:01 am

Can't wait trying it out tomorrow. Top plugs, top dev, top notch!

Regards
Sebastian
Next

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Effects