THX-15 - ElectroProg (Seismic Dirge)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

In October 2010, I installed SampleTank Free and immediately recorded this. It took 9 hours to record, and the August 2013 edit/remix/master took me 10 further hours, of trimming, editing, FX, levelling, panning, EQ and mastering.

I would call this a moody dirge.

EDIT:20210930:mp3 link removed

under gathering SoundClouds:-

http://soundcloud.com/whatsisname/thx-15

EDIT: 20130825 - dropped Ensembler by 1dB - upped Piano by between 1-2dB during latter half of track - tweaked piano velocity - re-mastered

EDIT: 20130915 - boosted kick and snares by 2dB - boosted Pro-53 pad - made slight cut to master HF EQ and slight increase at approx. 80Hz - re-mastered

Recorded in EnergyXT2.5.4/Remixed in EnergyXT2.7beta

SampleTank Free/SampleTank 2.5
EnergyXT Drum Sampler
MicroTrance
ConcreteFX Ensembler
NI Pro-53
Valhalla Shimmer
IK CSR
EnergyXT Reverb
FerricTDS
T-Racks Linear Phase EQ
T-Racks Opto Compressor
T-Racks Vintage Equalizer
T-Racks Brickwall Limiter

DR - 10

EDIT:20210930: - Remixed in 2021 - This was mainly cosmetic (EQ, levelling, and panning tweaks). I added a couple of targetted EQuivocate instances, fixed the timing of the gating of one of the synths, replaced FerricTDS with Satin and then mastered.

https://soundcloud.com/whatsisname/thx- ... ks5-master

Recorded in EnergyXT2.5.4/Remixed in EnergyXT2.7/Mastered in T-Racks 5

SampleTank Free/SampleTank 2.5
EnergyXT Drum Sampler
MicroTrance
ConcreteFX Ensembler
NI Pro-53
Blue Cat Gain3 Stereo
EQuivocate
IK CSR
EnergyXT Reverb
Valhalla Shimmer
Satin
T-Racks Linear Phase EQ
T-Racks Opto Compressor
T-Racks Vintage Equalizer
T-Racks Brickwall Limiter

DR - 11
Last edited by seismic1 on Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:51 pm, edited 4 times in total.

I would call it beautiful Seismic
expert only on what it feels like to be me
https://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1/tracks

Mister Natural wrote:I would call it beautiful Seismic
Thanks very much for listening and for the kind comment, Mister Natural. It is much appreciated. Glad you liked it :)

We are well into the "Concert Rust" / "Reconstruct" era. Unfortunately, I am unable to decode the meaning behind this track title other than pondering what happens when you divide George Lucas' first movie by 75. :?:

A bit of a detour for you but I enjoyed this a lot. The beginning conjured up visions of suspense films with measured piano, dramatic pauses, and wide open spaces. I had no idea where it was going. I was delighted when the lady started singing. It was like sunlight bursting through the clouds. (Was she provided courtesy of SampleTank or did you track down Mike Oldfield's "Incantations" vocalist?) From that high point, the track cruises towards the finish line.

There were some potential mix level issues. The most significant was at 4:21 when that riff came in sounding very loud and distorted. There were also points, like 2:55, when the piano is covered up by other instruments. I think volume automation could solve this if you want to do some extra work.

Soundwise, I wasn't crazy about the drum kit, especially the electro-toms, which sounded like an 80s hip hop record.

But overall good stuff Señor Sísmica!
Last edited by Frantz on Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

different, interesting and original! Seemed to take quite a meandering route but I was loving it by the end... good work Seismic :-)

my new favorite track from you! :)

is this really the piano sound from the free sampletank player?

Great work, Tim, soundtrack material..! Somehow the first part of the song reminds me of the early "Doom" game series. Love the vocal sound, where did you get it?

Best,
Adi/Thedeadsoul

Frantz wrote:We are well into the "Concert Rust" / "Reconstruct" era. Unfortunately, I am unable to decode the meaning behind this track title other than pondering what happens when you divide George Lucas' first movie by 75. :?:
I can see that you're just going to love the next one :lol: Actually, this was just a punctuated anagram, if there can be such a thing. Any SciFi connection is merely subliminal.
Frantz wrote: A bit of a detour for you but I enjoyed this a lot. The beginning conjured up visions of suspense films with measured piano, dramatic pauses, and wide open spaces. I had no idea where it was going. I was delighted when the lady started singing. It was like sunlight bursting through the clouds. (Was she provided courtesy of SampleTank or did you track down Mike Oldfield's "Incantations" vocalist?) From that high point, the track cruises towards the finish line.
No. It wasn't Maddy, but it's funny that you mention Oldfield. My favourite album from MO is Ommadawn, and that unison vocal duet from Clodagh Simonds and Bridget St. John on Side One had a ghostly quality that still sends shivers down my spine all these years later, and was probably a subconscious contributor to the thinking behind the vocal part here. To answer your question, the vocal is from SampleTank Free, but I had to pick the notes carefully to achieve the cleanest sound and, when I had it, I smeared it with Shimmer to smooth out the rougher edges.
Frantz wrote: There were some potential mix level issues. The most significant was at 4:21 when that riff came in sounding very loud and distorted. There were also points, like 2:55, when the piano is covered up by other instruments. I think volume automation could solve this if you want to do some extra work.
That riff is quite loud, but much quieter than my 2010 original recording. Maybe I will cut the level a little. I chose the sound to deliberately contrast with ths "cotton-wool" qualities of the vocal/trance gate and add some abrasive character. I agree that the relative volume of the piano is too low in places. I'll probably tweak this at the weekend.
Frantz wrote: Soundwise, I wasn't crazy about the drum kit, especially the electro-toms, which sounded like an 80s hip hop record.
.... If you ride with me on a Friday anything goes.....
Frantz wrote: But overall good stuff Señor Sísmica!

Thanks very much for listening and commenting, Frantz. Glad you liked it :)

seismic1 wrote:Actually, this was just a punctuated anagram, if there can be such a thing.
THX-15 = 51XTH = Sixth.

OK, sixth what? Is it a musical interval.

sazb30 wrote:different, interesting and original! Seemed to take quite a meandering route but I was loving it by the end... good work Seismic :-)
meandering.......that's about right. Probably the story of my life :wink:

Thanks very much for listening and commenting, Sarah. Glad you liked it :)

Good stuff, it has a solid structure, well produced.

I don't feel the "meandering" sensation, it's more something that's increasing in power, without exploding. Keep on the good work ;)

astrochimp wrote:my new favorite track from you! :)

is this really the piano sound from the free sampletank player?
Thanks very much for the listen and the kind comment, Clemens. Glad you liked it :)

Yes. That piano came from SampleTank Free, along with the Female vox and the Taurus.

seismic1 wrote: It wasn't Maddy, but it's funny that you mention Oldfield. My favourite album from MO is Ommadawn, and that unison vocal duet from Clodagh Simonds and Bridget St. John on Side One had a ghostly quality that still sends shivers down my spine all these years later, and was probably a subconscious contributor to the thinking behind the vocal part here.
You seem to be referencing Oldfield a lot lately so that's why I thought of it. Ommadawn is also my favorite of his. Everything on it flows seamlessly (except for that horse song).

seismic1 wrote: To answer your question, the vocal is from SampleTank Free, but I had to pick the notes carefully to achieve the cleanest sound and, when I had it, I smeared it with Shimmer to smooth out the rougher edges.
It worked like a charm. In the future, I wouldn't mind hearing SampleTank lady singing backed by a mellotron choir. :idea:

Love this, man. You're such a good composer and producer, my hat's off.
"The Law speaks too softly to be heard amid the din of arms." -- Gaius Marius {Roman consul,soldier}

Excellent Tim. Love all of it but in particular the choir section!
Bandcamp
Music with progressive intent.

Return to “Music Cafe”