Nodal 1.9 released

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
Hi all,
We are pleased to announce that version 1.9 of our generative music software Nodal has been released.

If you're not familiar with Nodal, its a standalone sequencer that allows you to create complex musical patterns based on the concept of a network of nodes (musical events) connected together by edges (transitions between events). The edge length controls timing information. You create the network interactively and assign any number of virtual players, who travel the network to create the composition. Nodes can feedback on each other, which means even very simple networks can generate complex musical patterns.

Nodal works with all major DAWs and MIDI synths, and runs on Mac OS and Windows. A license costs US$30 and a free 30 day trial version is available. A single licence allows you to run both Mac and Windows copies simultaneously.

You can download the software and find out more from our web site: http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~cema/nodal/index.html (http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~cema/nodal/index.html)

Regards,

Jon.

jonmc wrote:Hi all,
We are pleased to announce that version 1.9 of our generative music software Nodal has been released.

If you're not familiar with Nodal, its a standalone sequencer that allows you to create complex musical patterns based on the concept of a network of nodes (musical events) connected together by edges (transitions between events). The edge length controls timing information. You create the network interactively and assign any number of virtual players, who travel the network to create the composition. Nodes can feedback on each other, which means even very simple networks can generate complex musical patterns.

Nodal works with all major DAWs and MIDI synths, and runs on Mac OS and Windows. A license costs US$30 and a free 30 day trial version is available. A single licence allows you to run both Mac and Windows copies simultaneously.

You can download the software and find out more from our web site: http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~cema/nodal/index.html

Regards,

Jon.
Quote for links
Duh

And because it's useful:
Nodal 1.9 - NEW!!

New Scales mode for Voice Groups allows you to set a key and mode for each player
Improved debugging: show edge signalling information for each edge, last notes played for nodes
Voice group muting: mute individual players while a composition is playing
Updated for current versions of MacOS and Windows

Additionally, since 1.1:

Node programming: nodes play chords, sequences and more
Continuous Controller Editing
MIDI Triggering
New improved manual
Full cut, copy & paste
Unlimited undo & redo
Re-written MIDI engine for Windows
Built-in MIDI synthesizer now also for Mac
Full MIDI Synchronization (Master & Slave)
Enhanced and refined user interface
Customizable document colors
Custom document templates

I remember checking this out. Interesting concept. Need to check it out again. :D

One thing on the license though: It says $30 gets you "free upgrades up until the next major version (that is, all 1.x versions)". Since it's now v1.9 that's probably not that much. Or is this reflected in the price already?

I remember checking this out. Interesting concept. Need to check it out again. :D

One thing on the license though: It says $30 gets you "free upgrades up until the next major version (that is, all 1.x versions)". Since it's now v1.9 that's probably not that much. Or is this reflected in the price already?

wasi wrote:I remember checking this out. Interesting concept. Need to check it out again. :D

Yes, the price includes any upgrades until version 2. Anyone who purchased the first version in 2007 has been receiving free upgrades for the last 6 years.

For version 2 we will offer an upgrade option that will be less than the cost of a new license, so if you purchase a 1.9 license you won't need to purchase a new full license, but you will need to pay if you want the upgrade.

Jon

jonmc wrote:
wasi wrote:I remember checking this out. Interesting concept. Need to check it out again. :D

Yes, the price includes any upgrades until version 2. Anyone who purchased the first version in 2007 has been receiving free upgrades for the last 6 years.

For version 2 we will offer an upgrade option that will be less than the cost of a new license, so if you purchase a 1.9 license you won't need to purchase a new full license, but you will need to pay if you want the upgrade.

Jon
I've just bought 1.9. It seems a little unfair to charge for an upgrade to 2.0 if those who bought previous versions have been receiving free upgrades for the last six years.

davide37 wrote:
jonmc wrote:

Jon
I've just bought 1.9. It seems a little unfair to charge for an upgrade to 2.0 if those who bought previous versions have been receiving free upgrades for the last six years.
I expect there will be further upgrades before version 2 is released. These will be free for any current users. I appreciate that the number of updates will be far less than for someone who purchased a licence in 2007, but we chose to reward early supporters while the software matured - so if you buy a license for the current version you're getting a mature application that has had many new features added since 2007 (and still for the same price).

We're a university, not a commercial developer, and all the money that comes in from licenses goes back into further developing the application, so we rely on people purchasing a license to support further releases and improvements.
Regards,

Jon

Just saw this and thought it was a pretty cool way to use nodal for creating sounds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uRUdUoyJHo
:borg:

Looks like developer of Nodal is no longer to be found.
http://www.kvraudio.com/news/monash-uni ... v1-9-23285
https://www.kvraudio.com/product/nodal- ... ty/details

Heck, I was looking forward to Nodal 2.
Last edited by Kalamata Kid on Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

2018 will be my year for interactive generative improvisational music.
I will examine everything regarding arps, midi fx, and chord progression.
Prefer Windows multi-touch capable plugins but will consider apps for iPad
if use core midi.

I hope that jonmc will make an an announcement regarding Nodal 2.
Is it in the works?

I hope it will be Multi-touch friendly.

I'd really like to use this, but, it has red flags all over it for me. Something like this, from a super small and somewhat absent developer needs to be serial number or license file only. I get that it's only $30, but sequencer tools have a higher premium for me because losing it means changing workflow. It's not so much the $30 investment, it's the time lost that could have been invested elsewhere. This strikes me as a bit of a labor of love turned labor of disinterest. The developer even commented on the website that his interest directly relates to sales. Fair enough, but something this niche is never going to generate a huge number of sales.

I havent been able to use my licence for years, previous advice from them was I should have deactivated the software to use the licence elsewhere. Difficult if your machine dies which mine did.

Every few years I send them another email in some hope, damned if Im paying for another licence!

So I sent another email and today received a reply stating theyre releaseing a new version next week with a new licenceing system :)
Amazon: why not use an alternative

lol wow
awesome !

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”