Voxengo SPAN 2.6 FFT spectrum analyzer plugin released

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

September 1, 2013: Voxengo SPAN version 2.6 update is now available for download. SPAN is a free real-time "fast Fourier transform" audio spectrum analyzer plugin for professional music and audio production applications. For the most part it was derived from Voxengo GlissEQ dynamic parametric equalizer and reproduces its spectrum analysis functionality. SPAN is available in AudioUnit, VST and now VST3 plug-in formats (including native 64-bit support), for Mac OS X (v10.5 and later), and Windows computers.

List of changes in version 2.6:
  • Right-clicking on the spectrum will copy the frequency pointer to the clipboard.
  • "dBFS.30" and "dBFS.15" metering options added.
  • 1/9 and 1/12 octave smoothing options added.
  • 65536 block size option added.

SPAN provides you with a very flexible "mode" system which you can use to setup your spectrum analyzer preferences. You may specify Fourier block size in samples, FFT window overlap percentage, spectrum's visual slope. Beside that you can choose to display secondary spectrum of a desired type (e.g. real-time maximum, all-time maximum). Spectrum can be smoothed out visually for an easier examination.

SPAN features:
  • Output signal power statistics
  • Spectrum smoothing
  • User interface window resizing
  • Clipping statistics
  • Correlation meter
  • K-metering
  • Stereo and multi-channel analysis
  • Mid/side analysis
  • Internal channel routing
  • Channel grouping
  • Preset manager
  • Undo/redo history
  • A/B comparisons
  • Contextual hint messages
  • All sample rates support
Voxengo SPAN and other pro audio plug-ins can be downloaded at the Voxengo web site: http://www.voxengo.com/product/span/

Wow! This is great news.
65536 block size option added.
Well that is some serious size! The best just got better... :o

One thing I would like to see on a spectrum analyzer is the possibility to move the frequency display up and down a few octaves. This way you could slow down audio and analyze percussive sounds better, without the pitches lowering so much that they disappear out of the view.

Well, SPAN has zooming, and scrolling.

Thank you Aleksy for updating this very useful tool. It's always on my master bus when I need to double-check a resonance center freq (real-time average) or observe the overall curve (average). Nice 1/2 octave smoothing!
:)

Thank you. Span is the best analyzer you can get for free.

Oden wrote:The best just got better... :o
Indeed it did! Thanks Aleksey!

Thank you very much for the update.

I am not very happy though to see that now there's a proper installer... no way to have a zip with all relevant files instead - just like before?

I *love* portable stuff... :)

Thanks,
Mario

Will SPAN plus get the same update soon? :?

Sure, SPAN Plus will be updated with similar features.

I've moved to installers to provide signature which is now always checked by both Windows and Mac OS X.

^^^
Fair enough ...

Perhaps you could add an choice to select a folder for the shortcuts? I have mine organised within a 'Music' folder.

One thing that nearly tripped me up was the addition of \Voxengo to the folder path name after I had selected the precise folder where I wanted the VST2 plug-in to go. Luckily I saw that and edited the path name to remove it. I can see other users ending up with ...\Voxengo\Voxengo\SPAN.dll
DarkStar, ... Interesting, if true
Inspired by ...

I'll see if the installer (Inno Setup) allows to exclude double folder names.

What does the percentage in window overlap mean?

camsr wrote:What does the percentage in window overlap mean?
It's the time overlap between the adjacent FFT spectrum analysis blocks.

E.g. 90% means the block being currently calculated is overlapped with the previously calculated block by 90% (in time domain). This allows for smoother spectrum updates at high block size settings.

Quick observation: Shouldn't "1/9 oct" & "1/12 oct" be on the top of the list instead of bottom?

s_t wrote:Quick observation: Shouldn't "1/9 oct" & "1/12 oct" be on the top of the list instead of bottom?
Yes, they should, but I can't do that without much hassle - they are on the end of the list for backwards compatibility reasons.

Return to “Effects”