Any Harmor users ? Question about a patch called "Dreamland"

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Harmor

Hi there,

just back from a team mate's home who just bought Harmor and I just had a chance to mess around with it for 30mins. He is a 2 days new user btw.

I played a very beautiful patch called Dreamland and I just wondered how to program the background "Rain drop" kind of sound/texture. Didn't fully understand the flow and UI by just using it for 30mins. Anyone know what is the technique behind this patch? And do you think the similar tech. can be applied to other big-name synths ?

Again, as Zebra is always be my "to-buy" synth until I get my paid next month.. Do you think Zebra can program similar patch?

Note: I don't have any relationship with the author but I just wanted to show you how that patch sounds like.

http://www.yookamusic.com/track/dreamland-ykm_4f387432

Regards!
Cowby

The trick is in the B side. Filter 2 is Noise and its Resonance is full up, which is required to make this trick work. But please don't ask me anything more than that ... at least until IL provides some much improved Harmor documentation. :lol:

I know of no other synth, not even Alchemy, that could do this sort of thing. It involves some serious random manipulation of individual partials before they are combined back into the resultant wave output.

Very cool preset ... appreciate you having called it to my attention.

The filter mix for this preset is set so that F1 and F2 are in series. F1 has the resonance all the way up with a "noise" resonance type, like dmbaer mentioned. In the Harmor on-line manual, this type is described as "special effect. Harmonics are sounded randomly. Use the RES to control the amount of randomness, width controls the length/duration of changes in harmonics." So you get amount of harmonic randomness with the resonance set to max.

There's something else going on, and that's with the Pluck control. It's all the way up for Part B. The manual says this is a "specialized decay-related filter". I turned it all the way down, and switched off the delay and reverb, and heard the dry, unprocessed "drops".

Harmor is one of my favorite VSTs. Agree on the crappy manual. It could also benefit with a more extensive bank of factory presets.

Thanks for clearing that random partial think up. That was where I was stuck.

What's missing here is that Harmonic blur is what turns the noise blips into chimes. Turn the mix down on the left and you get just random noise 'ticks'. Check the spectrogram to see what it does.

To me those raindrops sounded quite FMish...

Thanks all for the reply and my team mate told me similar findings.

BTW, anyone find that Harmor is so digital and cold sounding? I know it's not fair to judge it by a player (me) who just used for 30mins or so.... But may be just blame it to those patches.... I couldn't find any warm / analog sounding patches which pleased my ear.

I saw the 101 tutorial last night by IL and I was shocked that this plug was so versatile. Drag the wav files for analyzing and re-synth are full of fun!
Last edited by cowby on Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

cowby wrote:BTW, anyone find that Harmor is so digital and cold sounding?
That's the byproduct of additive synthesis.

EvilDragon wrote:
Be honest, IL Harmor reminded me it sounded like a Korg Radias which I owned before where some users said it cold and digital as well.. haha

EvilDragon wrote:
Be honest, IL Harmor reminded me it sounded like a Korg Radias which I owned before where some users said it cold and digital as well.. haha

wasi wrote:What's missing here is that Harmonic blur is what turns the noise blips into chimes.
Good point, wasi, I had forgotten to check over on that side of the GUI.

Return to “Instruments”