u-he Satin or Slate VTM?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Satin Virtual Tape Machines (VTM)

Hi,

I'm really excited about Satin and can't wait to demo it, but I would also like to try Slate VTM because the thing is: I play rock. Well, guitar rock. To be more specific: '60s/'70s type of guitar rock. Only soft synths / sample libraries I use: Abbey Road Keyboard (piano, hammond, mellotron), Redtron (mellotron strings and brass) + Superior Drummer and AmpliTube. So no modern synth sounds, at all.

So my question is this: Is Satin more suitable for electronic/dance/synth orientated music?

I already have Kramer Master Tape and ToneBoosters ReelBus, but I'd like to have something like VTM (or Satin) that you can use for every channel AND busses.

So what you guys think, should I purchase Satin or Slate VTM?
Last edited by J4R1O on Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I keep pressing the space bar, but I’m still on Earth."

Buy Satin its cheaper (You can get it cheaper while its on a introductory offer @ $89) and you won't have to deal with the stupid I-lok fiasco.
Last edited by V0RT3X on Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
:borg:

I have VTM and it's really excellent, and works great on just about anything. It's a pity about the ilok, but it's worth the inconvenience imo.

I've not tried Satin, obviously. But I'll be buying that also.

So the short answer is, get both.

Satin will also have FX so that's another reason to buy it.
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

I can sell you my VTM, i'm not using it. It sounds great, but a bit of a step back for me. I like digital, cos bass is my friend ;)

V0RT3X wrote:Buy Satin dude its cheaper and you won't have to deal with the stupid I-lok fiasco.
You can't be so "binary" on this question (no direspect at all here! :) ). First and most important, we don't know what Satin is gonna be able to create, we mainly have some articles here and there and a poor public demo of U-HE recorded with a cam mic (Musikmesse), so no idea about the sound. Even if U-HE is an awesome company, I'd rather demo it before considering which is the best for J4R10 purposes. According to what I red about Satin, I see it more as an effect than a pure emulation, but I might be wrong on this point, just my humble opinion (even if I know that there's a good part about emulating tape artifacts).
The Slate VTM is just about emulating non linearities, harmonic distortion, crosstalk, compression etc...which comes with the tape recorder (no flange or echo for example).
I'm definitely considering buying Satin, but I'm also VERY satsified by VTM and don't know what you're meaning by "Ilok fiasco".
I understand the war about Ilok, and I'm not really kind of there "philosophy" too but it has always worked perfectly on my comp, and I always try to buy Ilok licenses I'm sure about, so no problem about transfer fee on my side for example.

So yeah J4R10 Satin will obviously be a killer plug, but as a rock musician you should also check Slate VTM which is also made to be driven by hot music.
The best for you is to give a try to both and see what fits your style the most. And yeah if you have some bucks to burn, well consider both ! :D
Last edited by Endor-8o8 on Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

This thread comes about a week early :lol:

Urs wrote:This thread comes about a week early :lol:
That's what I'm meaning at the start of my post yeah ! ;)

These two "warmth" plugins are cheap and have gotten good reviews:

http://www.sknote.it/Roundtone.htm

http://sonimus.com/products/satson/

(Both can be used on tracks as well as busses).

RoundTone is a Tape Machine, SATSON is a channel strip preamp.

Apples and Oranges. And the OP didn't ask for opinions. He asked if SATIN will be better than Slate VTM. But, tests are not possible since SATIN is not out for the public yet!
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

V0RT3X wrote:Buy Satin its cheaper (You can get it cheaper while its on a introductory offer @ $89) and you won't have to deal with the stupid I-lok fiasco.
$89.00 is a very good deal and not being dongled makes a big difference. Anticipation is high.
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

VTM is hard to beat but "Satin" is not released yet, so you should ask this question in 1-2 weeks again ;)

OR, you could buy VTM at a reduced price, from me now :P

Yes, I think I should have post this next week... just can't wait to get another tape emu to play with. :)

I will try Satin as soon as it's possible, but it's sad that I cannot demo VTM because I don't have iLok (not very keen to get one, either). But if VTM is so amazing that I've heard and read, then I should reconsider to get that darn dongle. :D

Exciting weeks ahead... Satin, SDRR, GTA V, our debut album... :hyper:
"I keep pressing the space bar, but I’m still on Earth."

Urs wrote:This thread comes about a week early :lol:
Hey, you can consider yourself lucky it is "only" a week early :lol:

I'll say this: VTM does the vintage tape thing extremely well. If Satin can do it equally as well, it would be a hell of a buy, especially considering how much more flexible it is. So, wait a week and demo Satin. If you love it, and it does everything you need, buy it. If not, I doubt VTM will disappoint you. I will say this though: if you buy VTM, wait for a Slate sale or at least get it at a reseller where you'll get a good discount (seems like someone in this thread might even have one for a good price).

Return to “Effects”