UVI Mello Free via Facebook...fail

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Mello UVI Workstation

Numanoid wrote:But not just Prog Rock.

One of the things that made OMD's Architecture and Morality so good is that they used the Mellotron a lot.

In hindsight it has given that synth-pop album a more timeless shine than other albums from that same era.
You're right. It can be used in all kinds of music.

It's too bad Mellotron was almost completely obscure in 80s. I really appreciate those few artist who were bold enough to use it when everyone else used synthesizers and drum machines only.

Actually I've been thining to make a synth album myself. Just good old synth sounds nothing else but maybe I give Mellotron a shot. It could give it some nice edge.

Vertti wrote:It's too bad Mellotron was almost completely obscure in 80s.
It caved in to the mighty reverb-gated snare! :D

Numanoid wrote: And I'm glad I bit the bait, because the new iLok manager works A LOT better for me than the old way of doing it.
I can't agree more. The old one was a pain in the a on my system.

deleted.
"The Juno 60 was often incorrectly referred to as a synth. It is, in fact, a chorus unit with a synth attached." -PAK

ChiTown24 wrote:Re: moaning about facebook promotions.
Yap yap yap!

In order to do this... "recommendation", I still need to waste an email adress, which needs maintenance, and nowadays pretty much every provider asks for "legit data".

Sorry, too much hassle. The "pro FaceCrook" (and all other "social communities") fraction needs to understand that there are still people out there that don't want/don't need this nonsense.

Don't like it, don't use it. Plain and simple.

BUT OOH WAIT! FREE SH*T!
[/brain off]
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

xalama qo wrote:So I clicked the ad here on KVR, got transported to the facebook page, liked it.
New page pops up with 'download here' link. Click, nothing. Right click, save as, 'download.html' or some such destination. Seems like you need to click to generate a coupon, does this mean you need a UVI account first?

Go back to open an account and read the features info on the UVI Mello page...requires iLok. Option to apply for FREE iLok...er, no thanks.

Pity. Would have been a 'nice to have'.
It's a true epic fail

We shall see orchestral machines with a thousand new sounds, with thousands of new euphonies, as opposed to the present day's simple sounds of strings, brass, and woodwinds. -- George Antheil, circa 1925 ---

gnu23 wrote:
xalama qo wrote:So I clicked the ad here on KVR, got transported to the facebook page, liked it.
New page pops up with 'download here' link. Click, nothing. Right click, save as, 'download.html' or some such destination. Seems like you need to click to generate a coupon, does this mean you need a UVI account first?

Go back to open an account and read the features info on the UVI Mello page...requires iLok. Option to apply for FREE iLok...er, no thanks.

Pity. Would have been a 'nice to have'.
It's a true epic fail

EPIC WHINING I have to say...

Because something is given for free as part of a promotion for a short period of time doesn't mean that it should have the typical freeware plugin's properties (i.e. no copy protection, a simple download link etc). Everytime someone gives something for free the same KVR moaning, the same crybaby posts: "I hate ilok, I don't want to instal service center, I won't register to a website, I don't have facebook, blah blah blah....")

Just don't download it and move on with your life.

Showing hate towards certain C/P mechanisms is one thing.

But forcing users over to a platform they do not use or even like is a completely other thing.

I bring as example WavesFactory again:
I am user of their ML. So I count as "regular user" it seems. Still I have to jump over to Facebook to "like" them in order to get a coupon for a sale. That ultimately kicks the regular users in the balls telling them "pft - you're not part of our userbase unless you show your appreciation on Facebook".

And this is what's pissing me off!

Actually, Kyle C from NineVolt pulled the same - but he at least said "you know what - want still the deal without signing up to Facebook, make a donation of 5 USD". While this thing is also something to debate, it's still "appreciating" the regular users that are not on any other social community.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Compyfox wrote:Showing hate towards certain C/P mechanisms is one thing.

But forcing users over to a platform they do not use or even like is a completely other thing.

I bring as example WavesFactory again:
I am user of their ML. So I count as "regular user" it seems. Still I have to jump over to Facebook to "like" them in order to get a coupon for a sale. That ultimately kicks the regular users in the balls telling them "pft - you're not part of our userbase unless you show your appreciation on Facebook".

And this is what's pissing me off!

Actually, Kyle C from NineVolt pulled the same - but he at least said "you know what - want still the deal without signing up to Facebook, make a donation of 5 USD". While this thing is also something to debate, it's still "appreciating" the regular users that are not on any other social community.
We get it. Nothing is going to change. I am extremely happy with this deal as are many others. If you don't like it because you don't have a computer, don't have Facebook or don't have an iLok...too bad. That's unfortunate. It really is. But UVI and other companies don't owe you ANYTHING in cases like this- especially not for a FREE item!

Does anyone want to talk about the actual product here instead of whining like a little b****?

Compyfox wrote:

uvi are not 'forcing' you to do anything.

donato wrote:Does anyone want to talk about the actual product here instead of whining like a little b****?
Sure! It's a great product but few things I must say:

If you wanna build your own 3 sound bank let's say something classic like flute-choir-strings. Can you just copy the wanted layers to one program? Will the sound switch still work in this case? I haven't had need for this but for example playing live this would save some RAM not have to load many banks in the same time.

There seems to be some clicks or bad transients with some of the samples. The best way around this has been dialing a little bit attack. Anyone else hearing this? It's not the key or mechanical noise because I usually mute them.

Oh I can't wait to get my hands on Satin. Mello + Satin will be some super sweet 70s sound I love so much. Of course I will introduce some modern twist because blindly replicating something old done to dead isn't very interesting in my opinion. But when it's something old and good and some new and innovative mashed together then we are talking!

Vertti wrote:There seems to be some clicks or bad transients with some of the samples.
That's pure emulation of the Mellotron no doubt :D
Vertti wrote:If you wanna build your own 3 sound bank let's say something classic like flute-choir-strings. Can you just copy the wanted layers to one program? Will the sound switch still work in this case? I haven't had need for this but for example playing live this would save some RAM not have to load many banks in the same time.
To build multipatches with the UVI player, I use the layer browser, where 4 layers can be added at once, either to the same midi channel, or to different channels.

Numanoid wrote:That's pure emulation of the Mellotron no doubt :D
I should have known. Those clicks and "bad" sampling become so much more obvious when you are playing yourself. Well one more reason why this is better emulation than SampleTron.
Numanoid wrote:To build multipatches, I use the layer browser, where 4 layers can be added at once, either to the same midi channel, or to different channels.
This seems like a good solution. Thanks Numanoid.

I wonder if this is a part of a larger Mellotron set that UVI will be offering in the future?

budweiser wrote:
Numanoid wrote: And I'm glad I bit the bait, because the new iLok manager works A LOT better for me than the old way of doing it.
I can't agree more. The old one was a pain in the a on my system.
This was exactly my experience. I had not updated to the new ilok manager b/c of the bad initial reports. Well, to get Mello working, I did update it and to my surprise, the ilok manager works great! It was much easier than the old website.

Mello is a great freebie.

Return to “Instruments”