FL Studio tuning

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello kvraudio ppl!

First of all i hope i'm writing in the right forum section.

Now, i would like to inquire about the Pythagorean 432 Hz tuning. I'd appreciate it if someone could answer this for me.
Is it possible to correctly tune to 432 Hz in FL Studio? I know there is the master tune option, which also tunes down all FL Studio native plugins, but i guess that would still not yield me the real Pythagorean tuning. In order to get the accurate Pythagorean tuning, i would have to tune down to -32 cents AND use the Pythagorean scale, right?

Some 3rd party vsti's offer to select different tuning scales, like Luxonix Purity, which has Pythagorean scale option in it, but that applies only to melody? as i read from their manual. Anyway, does anybody know if i'd choose to use Pythagorean scale in Purity, does this scale apply to all diatonic keys i play, or do i have to retune to for different keys somehow?
Also, is it necessary to tune down both, daw and vsts? So that, i'd have to select the wanted scale in Purity and tune down to A=432Hz, AND then in FL Studio tune down the master tuning to -32cents. What if the DAW doesn't have master tuning, but vsti does. Would tuning the vsti and selecting a different scale inside the vsti suffice, leaving the DAW at it's standard A=440Hz tuning?

Looking forward to hearing from you.
Peace,

Can you change FL to 432Hz tunng.. yes with the main pitch knob.

Can you tune to pythagorean... Not system wide, as the intonation is different, that is the ratio between the notes. You would need to implement micro tuning which I do not believe FL can do. Although some plugins such as Harmor will as it allows you to do per note frequency shifts and also import scala/tuning files.

Have a look at what wikipedeasays for more details.

hecuba wrote:Also, is it necessary to tune down both, daw and vsts?
No. There isn't really any point in dealing with this except in the instrument; it's sufficient, that's where the sound is made. I don't know why the DAW would impact that globally.

I don't know FL, but for instance Cubase has scripts to provide tunings. The problem with that implementation, with that type of implementation is it's based on one fundamental note, the relationship isn't transposable. Same thing with Scala, there has to be an additional implementation (.tun) unless you're never going to change the 'tonic' or basis. Vienna Instruments utilizes .scl and provides for setting the 'key' note, but the scala file has to be given as 12 to the octave.

Kontakt has a fairly good implementation in scripts\microtuning, albeit it's all in cents rather than ratios. Once you find the cents values rough equivalents, you can base an intonation on any of 12 tones. The other problem with that interface is we're rounding off additionally, it's roughly -32¢, not precisely, as though to obtain A=432.

BTW, there is nothing particularly 'Pythagorean' about A=432. Since there was absolutely no way to quantify frequency at that time. 'Pythagorean' refers merely to one of various rational intonations out of that area of theory.
Last edited by jancivil on Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AmyTree wrote:Although some plugins such as Harmor will as it allows you to do per note frequency shifts and also import scala/tuning files.
Hi AmyTree! Where i can find this option (importing) in Harmor? Thank you!

Igro wrote: Hi AmyTree! Where i can find this option (importing) in Harmor? Thank you!
Its not an option, you just drag the file and drop it onto the harmor interface.

AmyTree wrote:
Igro wrote: Hi AmyTree! Where i can find this option (importing) in Harmor? Thank you!
Its not an option, you just drag the file and drop it onto the harmor interface.
Thank you. And in what format are those tunning files and where i can get them?

Igro wrote:
A common format for microtuning is called scala. I don't know where you would get them or how you would create them, as its not something I use.

However there is a handy site that may help you.

AmyTree wrote:
Igro wrote:
A common format for microtuning is called scala. I don't know where you would get them or how you would create them, as its not something I use.

However there is a handy site that may help you.
Thank you so much.

Scala files are quite simple to create; once you know the format, you can make them in a text editor and save as .scl.

looks like:

Thanks AmyTree and jancivil! Your replies were very helpful!

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”