Looking for FDN Reverbs

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The only ones I know are freebies, but I'm interested in at least one commercial one... any suggestions?

Probably the best one is AriesVerb but I think it's abandonware now.

Sean Costello (of Valhalla DSP) has written a lot about FDNs over the years, and released a Csound FDN reverb years ago. Dunno if they're in the Valhalla verbs (some developers are protective of their designs) but it might be worth asking.

u-he MFM2 is based on 4x4 FDN. It's primarily known as a delay machine but it can do reasonable reverbs too.

I assume software baesd FDN reverbs. There're many, but most well known would be VRoom from Sean, Ircam from Flux, Plate 140 from UA etc.

Winstontaneous wrote:Sean Costello (of Valhalla DSP) has written a lot about FDNs over the years, and released a Csound FDN reverb years ago. Dunno if they're in the Valhalla verbs (some developers are protective of their designs) but it might be worth asking.
I have used modified FDNs (i.e. I tend to combine FDNs with other techniques). Some of the ValhallaRoom algorithms are FDN-ish, while others aren't. If it uses a scattering matrix to couple parallel branches, I consider it an FDN, but there is a huge world of possibilities within this definition.

Warp69 is probably correct in his assessment of software reverbs that use FDNs. The Flux one is easy to guess, as these are descended from Jot's reverb work at IRCAM (and the Miller Puckette work that proceeded Jot's), and these were largely FDN. I can hear FDN-ish sounds in some other reverbs, but I'm not going to wager any more guesses.

As far as hardware FDNs, Eventide was making use of these in the 1980s. The Eventide H3000 manual shows a few 6-delay FDNs for the reverb algorithms. Most of the other good hardware reverbs from this time used allpass loops (allpass delays embedded in a larger delay loop), or parallel combs with embedded allpasses. There were some pure Schroeder/Moorer reverbs from this time as well, but these haven't ended up in the "classic" category.

The Csound FDN I worked on was my first original design (back in 1999). It is VERY simplified compared to my current work, but I still like the sound. I'd stick a few series allpasses in front of it nowadays.

Sean Costello

Warp69 wrote:I assume software baesd FDN reverbs. There're many, but most well known would be VRoom from Sean, Ircam from Flux, Plate 140 from UA etc.
WIKID - that's more than I knew. Everyone's got a major stiffy for Valhalla verbs and I haven't even tried it out. perhaps its time...

Ariesverb is alive as far as I can tell. http://www.ariescode.com/index.php

Return to “Effects”