Blind (song off of new EP)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Blind -- song off of new 8-song EP: "_"

Welcome back sir. The good news is that "Blind" is mixed much better than your previous material. The instruments and vocals are well balanced. Most of the lyrics are intelligible. The lyrics are also available on BandCamp.

The song sports another manic, enjoyable blitz instrumental break.

I'm not so sure about packing the song with wall-to-wall lyrics delivered like you're reading a shopping list. Not immediately appealing but perhaps it will grow on me.

In any case, I'm glad your back with new material and a very good mix.

frantz, good to hear that the mix is better, and the lyrics are almost clear.

'blind' could be my favorite track on there, but apparently it's not a favorite with 5090 listeners. 'hp blavatsky', 'in love again', and 'endless light' seem to be 5090 favs.

'klamath falls' and 'everywhere' are toned down pieces (little to no drums, good dose of mellotron vstis).

'strawberry smoothie' is a raucous 'post-modern blues' number.

'strawman' mixes guitar fingerpicking with 8-bit lead synth, all in another 'unusual scale'.

the only thing with 'blind' is; i would maybe remove the 'diminished riff' sections, and have a shorter song. the solos are ok, but those 'triplet' riffs might be interfering with overall momentum/flow.

oh, 'blind' gives podolski vsti a nice workout; taking a relatively simple line and using automations to jazz it up. 'everybody' knows this already, but for free vstis, the u-he ones seem to have some of the best-sounding oscillators, especially in light of their low cpu usage.

most of the bass lines on this project are charlatan vsti.

Is the EP called 5090, underscore, or is it untitled? These sort of questions make my brain hurt. :shock:

I would again advise caution about "listener" favorites based on play counts. Looking at my web access logs, some Chinese bots "listen" to some of my songs every day. One of my songs called "Decoded Dreams" (by Fragile Gods) gets frequent human listens by people looking for "Fragile Dreams" which is apparently something from an anime movie. These human listeners must all say WTF is this sh*t!?

I give much more weight to actual comments on KVR and SoundCloud.

5090 is the songwriting 'contest'. the album is untitled, but there has to be some sort of placeholder for online purposes, thus the '_'.

re-looking at the stats; as it turns out, 'strawberry smoothie' is the most popular listen at 5090.

Another enjoyable visit to the world of mrblitz. This track has quote a calm, relaxed vibe and a really great build during the 48 bars after the intro. The mix is good, possibly aided by sparser instrumentation than in previous tracks or possibly by better eq in the mix. That progression used during the intro and again towards the end reminded me of some of the Crimson stuff from the last 15 years.

Good work :)

seismic, glad you liked it. cheers!

This is a blast. :)
"Time makes fools of us all. Our only comfort is that greater shall come after us." Eric Temple Bell

http://thetomorrowfile.bandcamp.com/

thanks everyone. ... probably not worth a new thread, but a few 'wips' from the 'upcoming' release:

Sunburn

Shadows Dance (instrumental)

The Great Divide

i'll definitely begin a new thread, if and when the new release arrives.

Sunburn is brilliant! Best of Blitz. :love:

I haven't listened to the other tracks on Blind yet. Why not give them their own threads?

Well now!
Everything you do is strange, but either the strangeness is mellowing, or I'm getting sucked in - really enjoyed this :tu:
It wasn't me! (well, actually, it probably was) - apparently now an 'elderly' so maybe I forgot!

I listened to all three of the new tracks, and I think Sunburn is the pick of the crop. I loved the creepy fairground 'tron intro which was headed off at the pass by the guitar and drums. The vocals were clear and audible and I really enjoyed the percussion on this track. It was a really good fit with the rest of the instruments.

Good work :)

I'm still loving Sunburn. It's the "single" of the three. I would suggest not changing it. It's perfect as it is.

Shadow Dance is very good. Reviving your old piano composition skills. A solid album track.

The Great Divide is the least successful of the three. A poor mix including inaudible vocals. It's also hard to listen to with every space filled up with relentless drums or some other instrument.

thanks for the listens/feedback on the wips. there are 3 or 4 others being worked up for that project.

meanwhile, i re-did the mix to blind:

changes, 12 Sep:
kick patterns
snare sound
2nd part of guitar solo
some filter settings on podolski synth
added glitch to guitar intro/bridge

Some really cool stuff here. I like Sunburn (especially the intro) and Shadows Dance best. Thanks, mrblitz.
No longer a moderator.

Return to “Music Cafe”