Waldorf Pulse 2: officially released (OS updated to v1.18)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

good speech. ;)
Massive, Serum. Diva, Repro-1, HIVE, Spire presets, Reason ReFills more! https://NewLoops.com

olikana wrote:
Aural Chaos wrote:
olikana wrote:anyway was a smart move from waldorf. a tube drive is great for adding wamrth...which is exactly what the pulse1 lacked.
a good tube drive costs easily over 100 euro....so including it in a 450 synth must have not been easy. kudos to them on that.
There is no tube in the Pulse 2....
so the "tube drive" is digital...? or an analog distortion/feedback circuit emulating a tube drive kinda sound...
i thought it was weird to have a real tube drive in there for such small price
It's solid-state based, obviously. Tube Screamer much?

faun2500 wrote:good speech. ;)
+1

kmonkey if u trying to reignite me very good try.
1- there would have been demos in the other thread anyway
2- infact they had already started to surface but someone else actually "played police" and had them pulled (waldorf didn't want demos before official release apparently).

in any case i alreday said above that reopening a new self pimp thread was worth it in the end with lots of good long demos by ingo.so i'll go even as far as saying thanks to him for the long showcase. and i agree demos count more than anything. so let's leave it at that.

although to be honest what i like about the new demos ,the nice warm drive, i could already hear from the demos made by this duede at messe (although that was a prototype with bugs).
https://soundcloud.com/n2s1/messe13-wal ... impression

and for once i wanted to hear more clean bread and butter demos :P
cos the pulse1 was so lifeless with those...
which brings me to...
ingonator wrote: Concerning "bread & butter" sounds it seems to be perfect for that.
i'm very surprised you didn't add this time a simple brass sound to the demos like you always do if you think it is perfect for that.
I already know that in the pulse1 2 detuned saws + filter + filter env in the sounded pretty thin and sterile and did not sound anywhere as good as good 2 sawtooth vcos + ota roland filter for example.
if the pulse2 has the same oscillators and filter of the pulse1 something tells me it will fall a bit short in good bread and butter (and if u make such demo for curiosity i'd like to hear it fully clean without the drive).
although to be honest i could just try it out on monday (they apparently arrive in the UK then)

olikana wrote:
ingonator wrote: Concerning "bread & butter" sounds it seems to be perfect for that.
i'm very surprised you didn't add this time a simple brass sound to the demos like you always do if you think it is perfect for that.
In fact there were at least two brass sounds and a Synth Horn sound and i got one more which i did not add a demo for...

I made "only" 59 preset demos while i currently got 92 patches.

The remaining patches e.g. also include approaches to Clarinet, Oboe and Flute sounds and a few more paraphonic sounds too.

Ingo
Last edited by Ingonator on Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

EvilDragon wrote: It's solid-state based, obviously. Tube Screamer much?
At the Pulse 2 website they mention that the Pulse 2 includes two overdrive circuits (in the second paragraph):

http://www.waldorf-music.info/en/pulse-2-overview.html

Ingo
Ingo Weidner
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

olikana wrote: if the pulse2 has the same oscillators and filter of the pulse1 something tells me it will fall a bit short in good bread and butter (and if u make such demo for curiosity i'd like to hear it fully clean without the drive).
although to be honest i could just try it out on monday (they apparently arrive in the UK then)
If the Pulse 2 is basically an expanded Rocket, then we definitely know it will sound awesome. Waldorf just hasn't had the time to get out good demos. The exact same thing happened with all the other manufacturers in 2013 that made an analog synth. They got the product out as quick as they could so we have the opportunity to get it earlier and all of the demos came there after. Now all those analog synths have demos all over the place showing off quite a bit. Same thing with the Pulse 2. You can already hear a bunch of talk all over the web about people who have been contracted to make demos and I think Ingo listed everyone. Not to mention next week we will have more demos from users who preorders their Pulse 2.

The Rocket sound fantastic and the Pulse 2 seems to be an expanded much more versatile Rocket, which is awesome. I too would like to hear more bread and butter demos first and then all the wild and crazy stuff after. But I don't doubt the Pulse 2 will deliver. We just need to give the demo patch creators a chance to post them. I just can't help thinking a Rocket with the list of Pulse 2 features, I couldn't have asked for more!

stikygum wrote: The Rocket sound fantastic and the Pulse 2 seems to be an expanded much more versatile Rocket, which is awesome. I too would like to hear more bread and butter demos first and then all the wild and crazy stuff after. But I don't doubt the Pulse 2 will deliver. We just need to give the demo patch creators a chance to post them. I just can't help thinking a Rocket with the list of Pulse 2 features, I couldn't have asked for more!
AFAIK the Pulse 2 is technically quite different to the Rocket. Oscilators in Rocket are completely digital (DSP based AFAIK) and the multimode filte does not seem to be the same as in the Pulse 2.

The Pulse 2 also des not include the "Supersaw" while the Unison in the Pulse 2 is a kind of a "Superpulse".

Ingo
Ingo Weidner

Sounds like a really interesting synth imho, I'm still a bit confused about the paraphony, in particular what happens to OSC2 and 3 when you use the paraphone shape on OSC1? Do they only sound on the first or last triggered note?

Naiw wrote:Sounds like a really interesting synth imho, I'm still a bit confused about the paraphony, in particular what happens to OSC2 and 3 when you use the paraphone shape on OSC1? Do they only sound on the first or last triggered note?
Like mentioned at the list of the waveshapes (which could be found in the manual) it is mentioned taht with paraphonic modes Osc 2 + Osc 3 are deactivated.

As you only have a single envelope and a single filter for all notes usually you will retrigger all other held notes when playing a new note. In some patches this could be easier noticed than with others.
For the envelopes there are 5 trigger modes that have an important influence on the behavior too.

Ingo
Ingo Weidner

Hi,

i started creating some audio demos from some of my favorite patches from the other factory sound designers.

Again only raw single preset demos without additional FXs. Like in my other demos the Aftertouch and/or Modwheel was used in most examples to add additional modulations.

1.) This is a patch from Rob Lee who is a sound design genius IMO and is involved with Waldorf for some years now. He was one of the last to get the Pulse 2 so maybe he will contribute more patches in a future update (and/or in a full soundset).

Pulse 2 - Tech Stab RL

This patch does not use any VCA Drive.

2.) Another patch from Rob Lee that uses the Fuzz Drive to create a Guitar like sound:

Pulse 2 - Bad Rocker RL

3.) A third, paraphonic, patch from Rob that fakes a Delay by using the envelope loop mode (A-D mode):

Pulse 2 - Fake Delays RL

Tbh i first did not understand how this works until i noticed the loop modes.

4.) This is a patch from Stefan Stenzel (developer + CEO) which uses a resonant Bandpass filter to create a vowel like sound:

Pulse 2 - I

I have used a similar "trick" for one of my patches in my other demos.

5.) Another patch from Stefan Stenzel, this time an Arpeggiator sound. The Modwheel adds accent to the Arp steps.

Pulse 2 - Autobahn Bass

6.) This is an Acid like Arpeggiator sound from Jürgen Driessen. Aftertouch and Modwheel are used for further modulations.

Pulse 2 - Acidizer JD

7.) Last but not least one of my favorite patches from Christian Gritzner that uses the fuzz Drive to create a distorted paraphonic Organ sound:

Pulse 2 - Organics 1 CG

That demo is quite long (around 3 minutes). Again i have to mention that no additional FXs were added to this.

Like always i added those demos to the corresponding post at the OP.

Have fun,
Ingo
Ingo Weidner

Ingonator wrote:
Naiw wrote:Sounds like a really interesting synth imho, I'm still a bit confused about the paraphony, in particular what happens to OSC2 and 3 when you use the paraphone shape on OSC1? Do they only sound on the first or last triggered note?
Like mentioned at the list of the waveshapes (which could be found in the manual) it is mentioned taht with paraphonic modes Osc 2 + Osc 3 are deactivated.

As you only have a single envelope and a single filter for all notes usually you will retrigger all other held notes when playing a new note. In some patches this could be easier noticed than with others.
For the envelopes there are 5 trigger modes that have an important influence on the behavior too.

Ingo
Oh sorry, I apparently read the shape section too fast :-)

Great work on all the audio demos Ingonator.

It's great to see another Waldorf product released. I love the Waldorf tone.

Are there any ways to control the oscillator start phase on Pulse 2?
Fight Apathy or don't.

For those with an iPad: a Pulse 2 editor via MIDI stuff

http://till-kopper.de/pulse2.html

(I have the iPad, albeit very old.....but not a pulse 2 or MIDI stuff)

I like the way the editor looks...except maybe the Waldorf Puce green.

EvilDragon wrote:Pulse 1 did have drive, sorta, in the Mixer section - you could overdrive the filter by pushing all 3 oscs above 90 or so (max is 127).
The Pulse 1 is awesome when driven hard like that. It can get way over the top yet is more natural sounding than the Little Phatty's distortion or pedals.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”