VST missing in mixed-down audio files

Official support for: mutools.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Recently I got a synth called Adventus DF. It is cheap, ancient, and thus not exactly top-notch :D But it does make some nice sounds when tweaked right. So I was just recording a little brass example for another thread and discovered that there was no sound in the resulting audio file. So I added another vst and melody. That is present on the audio, but the Adventus track is missing again. Is it that plugin's fault or is it simply incompatible with Mulab? First I thought it might have to do with SE, but the second vst I added is also SE and works fine.
It is a legit version, and I can play it live without any issues, I can record, save, and open projects containing it. Just in the audio files it is silent :D

Sounds like a VST plugin issue to me otherwise all VSt plugins would suffer from it. Did you also contact the plug developer?

I have just written him a mail, but I am not sure he will reply, the developer doesn't seem to care much about his customers. I had written to him months ago asking something about his synth, no reply ever...

You might be right. There are two versions of that synth, a single-filter and a double-filter version. I just discovered that I can mix down tracks using the single-filter version without problems, unfortunately it does not sound as good as the other one :P

As expected, no reply from that creep...
25 euros down the drain :P

Two more VST's that seem incompatible with Mulab:
The WOK effect plugins Lexor and CromFX. Both easily make Mulab overload, even in idle mode they cause 25 and 80% CPU load respectively on my computer, without a single note.

(I tested them in Mixcraft as well, there they both work. Not in the most efficient manner, either, but 15% on a three-note chord is OK for a more complex multi-FX plugin.)

I am just writing this because there are no demo versions available and the "low on CPU" bullet on the WOK website does definitely not apply to Mulab. So if you buy them for Mulab, you are likely wasting your money, like me :P

Strange, cause MuLab has nothing to do with the internal processing of a VST plugin. Maybe you're using a different audio setup (samplerate / block size / multicore setup)?

Partly my fault, I had tried several audio settings, but forgotten that I had set the Windows energy scheme to saving when I bought Purity weeks ago :oops: Purity uses so few resources I hardly get beyond 10% in power saving mode, despite using multiple instances :D

Anyway, this whole thing does suggest that Mixcraft is a lot more efficient and optimized than Mulab in terms of using computer resources. Now that I switched to the power waste mode or whatever it is called in English, I tried the WOK multi FX plugin again: Mulab shows a CPU load of about 25% with a 3-finger chord, Mixcraft only 5%.
Last edited by fluffy_little_something on Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

could be a multicore issue. do you checked Audio Setup settings under "Num Audio Processor Threads" or so in MuLab? i can't believe that Mixcraft is that better.. :P

Yes, I have tried various settings, for instance only 4 instead of 6 threads (I have a 6-core processor), but that seems to make no noticeable difference. in terms of CPU load.

No, Mixcraft is not better at all, it has certain deficits, which is why I use Mulab.
But it does seem to be more efficient, yes.

I see that Mixcraft uses a "High Priority" boost by default, which makes the rest of your system less responsive. To be fair you have to turn that off when comparing to MuLab. There is a wishlist item to add such option in MuLab too.

Another thing: MuLab's multicore engine is not working in a 'linear way'. A consequence of the fact that MuLab is constructed in a modular way. Sometimes adding a new plugin in MuLab won't increases the CPU meter. Not easy to explain but thing is that it's not always easy to compare CPU measurements between hosts as it depends on the project and your system.

Anyway, i don't want to disregard indications, further optimizing CPU consumption where possible is one of the items on the wishlist.

Yes, it is strange. some plugins, e.g. Memorymoon synths, seem to run better in Mulab, others worse or not at all, like the Waves stuff.

I have just turned off the priority feature in Mixcraft, but the CPU values are exactly the same. Probably because except for Chrome I never have other applications running when working in either DAW. So that can't be it...

Return to “MUTOOLS”