Phantasy (Piano)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

i've re-done several earlier-sequenced piano pieces with a piano emulator that works 'better' than the instruments from previous attempts. also, there's a brand new piece in the collection called Phantasy

entire Piano album:

archive.org
bandcamp
soundcloud

Very cool. Only listened to Phantasy, but I'll check out the album at some point. Thanks, mrblitz.
No longer a moderator.

I'm not sure why the piano emulator works better than the actual instrument itself but it's missing a lot of dynamics that should be in a piano piece. I also notice some pieces sound rather hard to play speaking from a pianist myself.

Left some comments on some tracks on sound cloud. Yoni is a pleasant track. Phantasy sounds great, but as supermaneric says would be hard to play. But that's ok ;)
I've used a guitar synth to play saxophone that would be hard to play on a sax merely because of the advantages a stringed instrument has over a blown one. Extending the boundaries is fun. Well done...
Bandcamp
Music with progressive intent.

thanks for the listens/comments.

it's not clear what constitutes a single 'listen' on soundcloud, but this project yielded more listens by far than anything else i've released there.

the piano itself here is actually a collection of samples, contained within a renoise 'instrument'. previously with mda piano i was getting distortion. aside from some odd 'resonances' with certain note sequences, this renoise instrument sounds better overall.

admittedly, there are not a lot of dynamics with these recordings. the variance below 'full volume' is probably 10-20%. any dynamics with these will probably be from 'less notes' versus 'more notes' in a given passage. indeed, the 'per note volume differential' is not great.

with the exception of 'walter and walter', all of these could theoretically be played in real-time by a world-class pianist. the chief difficulties of playing 'phantasy' would probably be with some of the rhythmic structures.

'walter and walter' though; that would probably require 3 or 4 hands.

other extremely-difficult-but-not-impossible pieces might include, 'freak world', 'everywhere', 'mutation'.

'yoni' was actually another one of those written 25+ years ago during college. it was an idea taken from the guitar in descending by 'inverted' 3rds in triplets:

kinf of like: afaegefdfcec... etc.

this renoise version has some accidentals (out of the key) added into the left-hand block chords, which weren't originally there in the transcription.

as for the dating of the pieces, there are the old, transcribed works from the '80s, and the new, purely step-sequenced ones from the past couple of years:

old:
yoni
spring fever
accidental minuet
exercise
sonata in c minor (this is a slow version)
ii (like 'sonata', another one written for piano OR two guitars)
small waltz

new:
walter and walter (was a kvr one synth contest entry for zebralette)
freak world
mutation (closes out with a 'sonatina' from the '80s)
everywhere (employs a 'hexatonic' or six-note scale)
phantasy

Absorbing album. Complex and demands my attention. I'd say sometimes it could be too complex if it were to be background music, but when paying attention to it it is enjoyable :)

Return to “Music Cafe”