Unreal! Nine Volt Audio going out of business!

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

What am I missing with REX? Isn't Logic's Flextime able to already change the bpm of any loop?

And thanks for the clarification ezelkow1 on if Taiko 2 is included in the group bundle. Sounds like that is the only library they have that isn't included in the bundle, unless I overlooked some other libraries.

I just bought their whole lot (taiko and all).

Cant wait to download a ZILLION GIGABITS OF GOODNESS

Kyle Z's work is among the best available - he is a top-notch, class act all the way. I am really, really strapped for cash atm but found the $200 to own the rest of his libraries - even though I already owned most of them, including Taiko 1 and 2. The new libraries come with a challenge response scheme, whereas in the past no such protection was used and it was a joy for the customer. In retrospect, it's too bad the protection wasn't employed earlier on, and let this be a lesson to all musicians and developers who are listening. The reality is that we need to support our development community and allow them to use whatever protection scheme they think works best for them. If you don't like it, don't buy it!

Anyone who relies on REX or especially Stylus RMX a lot should consider Nine Volt among the very best libraries they can find, and many are absolutely unique in multiple ways.

Thanks you Mr. Z for all your creative work, and I'm very glad to have been fortunate enough to support you and work with your amazing libraries.
ALL YOUR DATA ARE BELONG TO US - Google

https://soundcloud.com/dan-ling
http://danling.com

stikygum wrote:What am I missing with REX? Isn't Logic's Flextime able to already change the bpm of any loop?

And thanks for the clarification ezelkow1 on if Taiko 2 is included in the group bundle. Sounds like that is the only library they have that isn't included in the bundle, unless I overlooked some other libraries.
In a quality REX library, when you alter the tempo, even a lot, there is no audible effect on the audio at all. Then using an advanced REX plug like Stylus you can take any "loop" and re-order it by editing midi slices, and change the tempo to any tempo you want, like 7/8, and alter the dynamics, pitches, and random musical order of slices by adjusting sliders. It's amazing what you can do really.

Maybe some of the newer plugs and DAWs are now able to come close, but I doubt any will achieve the audio quality, tempo and slice flexibility you get with a carefully edited and constructed RMX library. Not according to Eric Persing anyway.
Last edited by Gonga on Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:09 am, edited 4 times in total.
ALL YOUR DATA ARE BELONG TO US - Google

https://soundcloud.com/dan-ling
http://danling.com

Got the hang drums, very very nice

Quick Review of the purchase/install process

I emailed Nine Volt Audio my request for 2 formats of their libraries (ACID and REX) on hard disk, and received the purchase link within a day. I ordered it on the 16th and it arrived on the 20th via USPS (signature was required).

It came on a mini-USB hard drive. Cable was included to connect the drive to 2 USB ports on the PC. I copied everything to my local hard drive first. The ACID Wavs are ready-to-use. The REX files require running an installer (created by Chicken Systems). It seemed to be straightforward challenge/response - I entered a code that they included in the package as well as my email address. They emailed me a serial number. I entered that and the install began - it took about an hour. I then uninstalled the installer. I now have all ACID and REX files ready to use.

All in all, straightforward.

EDIT: I did an inventory of the libraries, and there are 3 libraries that are not included in WAV format: Action Toms V1, Action Toms V2, and Global Hand West Africa. There is a readme mentioning that for WAV purchasers, these 3 libraries are included in REX format.

Whew. Downloaded the whole package, but I found the download process to be thoroughly redonkulous. Made even more so by the fact I had to download it on a different machine than my production PC at home. Really don't like that download program that is forced on you, doesn't even allow you to queue multiple downloads at once. :nutter:

They were going out of business! Maybe they had to limit the bandwidth?!

Here we are nearing March and their site and e-commerce, which was advertised as absolutely closing come January 2014 remains operational with the notice: "Our Store is Still Open - You Can Still Purchase." Hmm...

eDrummist wrote:Here we are nearing March and their site and e-commerce, which was advertised as absolutely closing come January 2014 remains operational with the notice: "Our Store is Still Open - You Can Still Purchase." Hmm...
They'll probably come back in a year with a different company like "Triple A Audio" or "C Battery Audio" and with some new products.

Do they have a plugins for life plan? ;-)

^^ I hope so, they're a good company who made interesting products.

Or sorry, are we all just mocking them at the moment?

Doug1978 wrote:^^ I hope so, they're a good company who made interesting products.

If a brick and mortar store has a "going out of business" sale and says "the doors close on Jan. 20th...you must buy today!", and then stays open for another month, yeah, it doesn't send a great signal.

They're a good company with good products. I'm just agreeing with eDrummists post that it looks strange to keep taking orders.

And realistically, I was mocking Denis from Prodyon who goes out of business and returns on a regular basis (and sometimes with a new company name). He's back now with a new product, btw. Better grab it now.

jsp1979 wrote:
Doug1978 wrote:^^ I hope so, they're a good company who made interesting products.

If a brick and mortar store has a "going out of business" sale and says "the doors close on Jan. 20th...you must buy today!", and then stays open for another month, yeah, it doesn't send a great signal.

They're a good company with good products. I'm just agreeing with eDrummists post that it looks strange to keep taking orders.
I agree.

I think the group buy came in a bit too high, and it was a mistake not including Taiko 2, and the timing was atrocious (mid-November, less than two weeks before Black Friday).

In short; I don't think he sold nearly as many bundles as he hoped he would, and I think that's why it's still for sale.

$149 for the lot, including Taiko 2, would have been the sweet spot for me.

"Any 5 loop collections for $99!" would have had me reaching for my wallet, too. Heck, maybe "Any 4 loop collections for $99!" would have, too.

It's a really fine line between "Shut up and take my money!" and "meh; I'll pass".
"The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense, not between right and wrong." - Carl Jung

The $199.99 for 38 titles is back until November 21 and I'm kinda tempted.

I'm using Studio One and Ableton and figured out that if I decide to buy, the best format would be REX. And then I red about the C/R protection and got a little sad.

So, anyone that already got it in REX can write how many libraries are C/R? And how the activation process is done step by step? On their site things aren't very clear.

By the way, my DAW machine is offline. Is that an additional problem?

e@rs wrote:The $199.99 for 38 titles is back until November 21 and I'm kinda tempted.
Didn't these guys go out of business and close shop a year ago? :?

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”