SunRay (Melodic/Vocal Trance)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Imagine:
Walking outdoors, a bit of a cloudy day. You come to a hold and gaze upon the sky.
The clouds slightly open up before you and a ray of sunlight gently hits your face.
Close your eyes and feel the warmth of the sun.

Longing for the summer.

Tip: Headphones and a slight bump on the volume ;)

This was my first go at Shevannai which I won with the Call to Arms Charity fund raiser

Tags: EDM, Trance, Dance, Elven, Vocal
Track length: 6:14
Construction time: ~5 evenings over a 2 week period.

Hope you enjoy! Thanks for listening :)

SunRay Direct MP3 link
SunRay @ Bandcamp
SunRay @ Soundcloud

Very nice! I liked the vocals and how they were mixed in. A very well-done tune, perfect to listen to while I'm waking up this morning! :)
Bandcamp: https://suitcaseoflizards.bandcamp.com/
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN4kuy ... Dx4ziLn3ng
Now a Relay Radio DJ! http:/www.relay-radio.com

Tip: Headphones and a slight bump on the volume
That's your task to make it work on every sound system :P

Nice arrangement and atmosphere, but sounds quite like 1997-1998. Very synthetic sounds and low loudness. Certainly could use some modern technique.

The vocal is great indeed.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

woolyloach wrote:Very nice! I liked the vocals and how they were mixed in. A very well-done tune, perfect to listen to while I'm waking up this morning! :)
I used the melody of the vocals in the pad chords with some sidechain for the transition.
Jumping from the synth melody directly to the vocal was quite abrupt ^^
Also I put a somewhat simplified vocal on the background fading in slowly.
DJ Warmonger wrote:That's your task to make it work on every sound system
Oh it does, I just prefer the separation you get in this tune on headphones.
DJ Warmonger wrote:Nice arrangement and atmosphere, but sounds quite like 1997-1998. Very synthetic sounds and low loudness. Certainly could use some modern technique.
Funnily that is the year I stopped making music. Started again this year so I guess I have to catch up :P

Loudness is something I struggle with allot. I use ReaXcomp as multiband compressor on master followed by Waves L1. I kept dynamic range around 8-9 at the busy parts (TT DR meter).
Busy looking for some mastering tutorials since I really need to learn more in that area.

Thanks for the comments.

Nice song but it has a rather melancholic vibe, so I would call it "Lost in the Mountains" or something like that...

Regarding the loudness: could be more but on the other hand I like it that it's not over-limited and distorted like most modern tracks. :)

Regarding the loudness: could be more but on the other hand I like it that it's not over-limited and distorted like most modern tracks
Me too, I hate when they distort and when they are oversaturated. It is possible, however, to achieve powerful and clean sound at the same time. It is difficult, but gradually getting there ;) Still, to ever try, you need to hear some tracks as reference.

Optimal dynamic range for generic trance is 5 dB, so I aim at 5+ on DR meter after all the limiting.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

Tricky-Loops wrote:Nice song but it has a rather melancholic vibe, so I would call it "Lost in the Mountains" or something like that...
Interesting..

How about:
Wandering through a lush forest mountain side, you have no idea where to go.
You come to a hold and gaze upon the sky. The clouds slightly open up before you and a ray of sunlight hits your face.
Close your eyes and feel the warmth of the sun. After opening them again realizing you still have no idea where you are.

I thought of the name during a late night listening session and while I was just staring at my computer's desktop the wallpaper changed to one with a ray of sunlight coming through a cloud. - That'll do :D
DJ Warmonger wrote:Optimal dynamic range for generic trance is 5 dB, so I aim at 5+ on DR meter after all the limiting.
I'll push it a bit more next one 8)

I liked it. It doesn't sound squashed. All of the instruments come through the mix very well. I love the pads, synths and vox. The bass has a nice warm sound and the melodies and arrangement are great. I've just played this through my UX2/Rokits and my rDac/FMJ A19/773s and the overall sound is very clean and pleasant indeed.

Good work :)

Thank you :) Always exciting how other experience your music but that surely gave me a smile on my face.

I created a simple video to go with the song on Youtube.
Hope you like it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khVn6jR1Gks

Very nice work and superb production. I don't think it is not so loud, it sounds just perfect.

Regards

It does sound a little dated but nostalgia seems to be pretty hot in dance music at the moment so that might not be bad. It has a really clean sound and I like all the levels. I wouldn't say that it is melancholic myself, it does have a thoughtful vibe to it though. I look forward to hearing some more tracks now that you are back in the game.

Darko A. wrote:Very nice work and superb production. I don't think it is not so loud, it sounds just perfect.
Thank you.
olliehay wrote:It does sound a little dated but nostalgia seems to be pretty hot in dance music at the moment so that might not be bad.
Indeed, when I was working on the melody it reminded me of the "Synthesizer Greatest" cassettes I had in my younger years. I know the sound is very simple (mainly a slight unison'd pulse with a panflute mixed in softly) but somehow it just fits the song. I tried a lot of different sounds but kept returning to the simple one.
olliehay wrote:I look forward to hearing some more tracks now that you are back in the game.
Much more to come :)

Return to “Music Cafe”