Nexus 2.5.1 - Expansion Licensing Changes

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

ants13 wrote:
zeep wrote:The nexus2 is a very good synth to have in your arsenal, to me it's worth the synchrosoft dongle hassle. Also they won me over when they send candy along in the original dvd package. ;)

Now registering all my expansions to the dongle is taking it a bit too far imo. Losing the dongle before meant repurchasing naxus2, after this update i guess it means buy all the expansions again too.

What do i get back for all that extra risk as a customer?
you dont have your expansion licenses on the dongle.
The only difference is instead of a key file for each expansion you now have one key file for all of them.

At least thats how its working for me.
So no need to worry about losing your expansions on the elicenser
I understand but what if you lose your dongle? You lose that one keyfile, you lose all expansions right?
I'll put in a ticket this week if ii don't see an official reply here.

see what you mean, as far as I can remember I have never given them my elicenser number and I am not using the elicenser that came with nexus as I already had a steinberg one.
And I'm having no issues so I cant see it makes any difference.

Ants

Seems like the support is slowly.
Ask them some question about Nexus. But no answer after 24 hours.

I've encountered one wrinkle with the new expansion licensing. Every time I buy something from reFX I have to re-enter all my billing info, even though I already have an account there (some other sites are like this too... Antares, and I think Waves). Anyway, a few months ago when filling out all my info again to purchase a couple expansions I accidentally used my personal email instead of my regular refx email. This had the unintended side effect of creating a new refx account (even though I was already signed in at refx.com with my existing account) and applying my new expansions to the new account.

At the time it wasn't an issue, because I had keyfiles for the new expansions from that new account, and everything worked fine.

But now with 2.5.x I can't use those expansions anymore, even though my eLicenser is registered under both my reFX accounts. Nexus tells me it's muting the patches from those expansions if I try to use them. I have submitted a support ticket, but I imagine they're swamped with holiday sales stuff right now. Fingers crossed that they can merge my accounts somehow.

Also- I'd MUCH rather use an eLicenser/iLok than pray that a challenge/response will work every time I have to install stuff on a new computer or partition. Ever install the Korg Legacy Collection? Took me like an hour just to register that bundle on my PC. And you've got things like Ableton Live where you've got a max number of activations. Ableton emailed me that I can't install Live 8 again without asking permission, for example. Give me a dongle any day over that nonsense.

Dongles are also handy for dual-boot systems. I've got Win7 and Win8 partitions on my DAW system and I don't have to do anything special with any of my iLok/eLicenser/Waves software because the licenses are all right there; just leave the keys plugged in.

UPDATE: reFX just got back to me; they merged my accounts and gave me a new master key, w00t.

I understand but what if you lose your dongle? You lose that one keyfile, you lose all expansions right?
no
if you lose your dongle, only your basic Nexus is lost, you can use your bought expansions with a new Nexus

nothing changed, except you do not have one single keyfile for every xp you bought any more. Instead you have 1 keyfile container, where all XPs are stored.

Um...no to all of what I am reading...at least I think.

If you lose your elicenser just get another. Change the serial of the elicenser associated with your account and redownload the license file. Nothing gets lost. No need to buy anything again.

No need for a new nexus.

thejonsolo wrote: If you lose your elicenser just get another. Change the serial of the elicenser associated with your account and redownload the license file. Nothing gets lost. No need to buy anything again.
No need for a new nexus.
sooo.. beeing in the shitty situation of just having lost my elicenser with cuabse / nexus on it, is this actually possible? i highly doubt it, but before i shell out another 300$....

i hate refx though. steinberg is a lot easier with transferring licenses, even though the product is way more expansive than shitty nexus. i just need this piece of crap cause a lot of people i work with use it...

Return to “Instruments”