What about Inter-App-Midi

For iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod), Android, Windows Phone, etc. App and Hardware talk
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Cubasis 2

Can we actually send MIDI from e.g. Garage-Band to a Synth (or Cubasis) and then get the Synth to return the resulting audio?

tele
Listen to me at soundcklick:
www.soundclick.com/wewritesongs

As far as I know you can't send midi from garage band to anything which is a shame since the smart instruments would be great controllers for other apps.

But have a look at the cubabsis tutorial http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDfZvwPrkTo for how midi works in cubasis via inter app audio (very well in my opinion)
Instant human just add coffee

Several synth apps do send MIDI to other apps. This is a feature referred to as 'Virtual MIDI'. Unfortunately, GarageBand does not let MIDI out, only in.

iPlogger wrote:Several synth apps do send MIDI to other apps. This is a feature referred to as 'Virtual MIDI'. Unfortunately, GarageBand does not let MIDI out, only in.
Oha, bad news. :-)
Well, if it lets MIDI in, then one could probably use Cubasis as the main app, sending MIDI from there and use Garage Band (and it's smart instruments) just as a sound module.

telebunke wrote:
iPlogger wrote:Several synth apps do send MIDI to other apps. This is a feature referred to as 'Virtual MIDI'. Unfortunately, GarageBand does not let MIDI out, only in.
Oha, bad news. :-)
Well, if it lets MIDI in, then one could probably use Cubasis as the main app, sending MIDI from there and use Garage Band (and it's smart instruments) just as a sound module.
Only by recording the output through the headphone socket or lightning/30 pin connector..... You can't use garageband as an input to audiobus.
Instant human just add coffee

I'm pretty sure Audeonic Apps (creator of MidiBridge) is close to releasing MidiBus, an app that would solve this problem. Check it out: http://audeonic.boards.net/thread/54/midibus-happening

very interesting info.
One thing that is missing: Unlike a Plugin on PC/Mac, you cannot load an app several times.
E.g. ff you wanted 32 different sounds from Sampletank, you'd have lost...
Well, I'm sure this is gonna evolve and soon it's gonna be veeeeeery pro.

tele

That has been a long standing wish of mine. We need the ability for multi-timbral synths. SampleTank allows up to four sounds which is nice. A few others allow for two. But most are single patches. And with the iOS limitation of a single app instance, it limits these apps to one sound at a time. I like to create layers but can't do that right now.

This might be a dumb question, but along the same lines... How about background midi?
I'd like to call up any "media" and still be able to play an app in the background over midi. I'm relatively new to Ios, but it doesn't seem that I can do this quite yet.

SylvStuart wrote:This might be a dumb question, but along the same lines... How about background midi?
I'd like to call up any "media" and still be able to play an app in the background over midi. I'm relatively new to Ios, but it doesn't seem that I can do this quite yet.
I don't understand the question really well, but, is'nt Virtual MIDI between iOS-apps you mean?
I use virtual MIDI between Sampletank and Steinbergs Cubasis on my iPad - awesome combo!
Sampletanks support for all the new technology in iOS runs very smooth (Audiobus, IAA & Virtual MIDI)!

Explain in more detail if I misunderstood you're question...

SylvStuart wrote:This might be a dumb question, but along the same lines... How about background midi?
I don't think that is an issue, it's really background audio that matters. With apps that have a switch to enable background audio, they won't play in the background if it is off, even with MIDI input. Turn background audio on, and they will play In the background. There is nothing that needs to be changed in the MIDI settings in this scenario, it's all about the background audio.

Apologies if I'm misunderstanding....

Thanks all, it works like a charm. And yes, it was simply a matter of turning on background audio.
I simply wanted to use the pad as a song learning tool where I can find a tune and play along via a midi connected keyboard.
Playing Galileo via RB3 keyboard while typing this in.

Return to “Mobile Apps and Hardware”