Recant - ElectroProg (Seismic Backtracking)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Michael Corleone wrote: Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in
This took about 10 hours to record in November 2010, and marked a brief revisitation to the TranceFusion project, which I assumed was some 4 months behind me. Never say never. The November 2013 Edit/Remix/Master took a further 11 hours, and involved a little sound design, and the usual shenanigans. This track is actually quite minimal in terms of instrumentation. 8 instances of SynthMaster 2.5 on this remix and 1 sampled Akai XR-10 kit. SDRR on the master bus

EDIT:20211015 - mp3 link removed

on SoundCloud, the latest version with added oomph:-

http://soundcloud.com/whatsisname/recant

EDIT: 20131208 - fixed gated synth timing problems. Added new acid synth part. Re-mastered.

Recorded in EnergyXT2.5.4/Remixed in EnergyXT2.7beta

SynthMaster2.5
EnergyXT Drum Sampler
Microtrance
IK CSR
EnergyXT Bit Crusher
Blue Cat Flanger
SDRR
T-Racks Linear Phase EQ
T-Racks Opto Compressor
T-Racks Vintage Equalizer
T-Racks Brickwall Limiter

DR - 13

EDIT:20211015: - Remixed in 2021 - This was more than a cosmetic remix, with various synth parts being replaced, the bass synth supplemented by a second, arpeggiated part, changes to the percussive synth part. I also re-worked the middle-16. There were also cosmetic changes to the EQ, levelling, and panning. I also replaced SDRR with Satin and then mastered in T-Racks5

https://soundcloud.com/whatsisname/reca ... ks5-master

Recorded in EnergyXT2.5.4/Remixed in EnergyXT2.7/Mastered in T-Racks 5

SynthMaster2.9
EnergyXT Drum Sampler
Microtrance
IK CSR
Blue Cat Flanger3
T-Racks Linear Phase EQ
T-Racks Opto Compressor
T-Racks Vintage Equalizer
T-Racks Brickwall Limiter

DR - 11
Last edited by seismic1 on Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:18 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Nice work. Really like that bass. Interesting change around the 3min mark. Then after the organ dropdown at 4:00 it just gets better and better!

{buggritt. Steadily de-bumping my own track!}
It wasn't me! (well, actually, it probably was) - apparently now an 'elderly' so maybe I forgot!

lovely riff!

loved it so much that i quickly made something around it

www.youreallfree.com/music/recant.mp3

folderol wrote:Nice work. Really like that bass. Interesting change around the 3min mark. Then after the organ dropdown at 4:00 it just gets better and better!

{buggritt. Steadily de-bumping my own track!}
Thanks very much for listening, Will. Glad you liked it :)

I think that bass was a modified SM factory preset, as was the TG and the distorted synth in the middle section. All of the other sounds were unmodded presets.

Emerald Tablet wrote:lovely riff!

loved it so much that i quickly made something around it

www.youreallfree.com/music/recant.mp3

Thanks very much for listening, commenting, and glad you liked it, Remmie :D

I loved the sounds and tune that you built. You have that chinese-sounding shenai, the various effected 'tron sounds, the typewriter percussion, and some great reverb action going on. It all fits like a glove.

I love it :tu:

The opening 1.5 minutes are a tough slog because that "rave" patch sounds tired to me. Things improve afterwards but the synth sounds keep dampening my enthusiasm. The composition is very solid but unfortunately the SynthMaster presets don't do much for me.

I start enjoying the piece from 3:54 onwards. The organ break is interesting and the arp provides a lift to the dance elements. The drum programming is very good as usual. The piece remains energetic until the ending.

I am hoping Santa puts a Zebra or ACE in your stocking. :)

I'm also more fond of the last few minutes than the first few, but all in all I enjoyed it. Thanks.
No longer a moderator.

Frantz wrote:The opening 1.5 minutes are a tough slog because that "rave" patch sounds tired to me. Things improve afterwards but the synth sounds keep dampening my enthusiasm. The composition is very solid but unfortunately the SynthMaster presets don't do much for me.

I start enjoying the piece from 3:54 onwards. The organ break is interesting and the arp provides a lift to the dance elements. The drum programming is very good as usual. The piece remains energetic until the ending.

I am hoping Santa puts a Zebra or ACE in your stocking. :)
Damn. I spent a while reverse-engineering that gated patch from an audio-render of the original track made in 2010 before my old computer curled up its tootsies and took SynthMaster 2.0 with it :)

Actually, I've had comments on some of the gated synth patches used on previous tracks (Citron, in particular). Maybe I'll revisit this someday. The thing with SynthMaster is that everything is configurable, so I should be able to get some great sounds from it.

I like the sound of the XR-10 kit. It's on a couple of other upcoming tracks.

I really would like to get hold of Zebra, maybe 2014 will be the year :)

Thanks very much for listening and commenting, Frantz. Glad you liked at least some of this :)

I just listened to Recant again. I am again getting the impression that many of the synths sound dark and murky. I don't know if it's SDRR on the master bus, the sound of SynthMaster, or perhaps the mix is bass heavy?
seismic1 wrote:Actually, I've had comments on some of the gated synth patches used on previous tracks (Citron, in particular).
There is a similar gated sound at 0:53 featured on the title track of Citron. While it's not my favorite sound, it is good; it has bounciness, movement, and life to it. On Recant, the gated sound is more lifeless and static. I think it would be better with more stereo effects if you are going to solo it like that.

I agree the drums sound very good. I think the track is well composed and it is exciting when it kicks into gear. Another Remake/Remodel of Recant could be worthwhile. :)

gonna have to agree with the others... but i think its the timing of the gate that messes it up because the tone itself is nice... here we have the same gated part in sync with a drum n bass part...

https://soundcloud.com/layzerkvr/test

with a little TLC i can hear it sit in there real smooth with the rest.... :tu: :x :D
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

layzer wrote:i think its the timing of the gate that messes it up
+ 1

I didn't mention it but I was also thinking this. The timing between the gated synth and the bass line is subtly out of sync.

Layzer: Very cool demo! Four on the floor kicks with a 16th note bass line really energizes that gated synth. :wheee:

The arp at 4:39 in Recant has a similar energetic effect and could probably be featured earlier.

D.H. Miltz wrote:I'm also more fond of the last few minutes than the first few, but all in all I enjoyed it. Thanks.
Thanks very much for the listen and the comments, DHM. Glad you liked it :)

I see a pattern emerging :lol:

Some really interesting synth and percussion work in here Tim... and I love the bass parts. The 4:50ish arp lead is sweet too. Agreed with the fellas above that the timing of that riff made me a bit dizzy, otherwise, :tu:
Image Image

Frantz wrote:I just listened to Recant again. I am again getting the impression that many of the synths sound dark and murky. I don't know if it's SDRR on the master bus, the sound of SynthMaster, or perhaps the mix is bass heavy?
I think it's probably the patches I used. I don't usually go for very bassy mixes, and I haven't noticed a problem with SDRR, but the synths on here do sound a little on the bassy side relative to my norm.
Frantz wrote:
seismic1 wrote:Actually, I've had comments on some of the gated synth patches used on previous tracks (Citron, in particular).
There is a similar gated sound at 0:53 featured on the title track of Citron. While it's not my favorite sound, it is good; it has bounciness, movement, and life to it. On Recant, the gated sound is more lifeless and static. I think it would be better with more stereo effects if you are going to solo it like that.
I have re-arranged the track a little. That gated synth has had a little more life added. I have added another gated synth which sits better with the rhythm, and I added another bassline.
Frantz wrote: I agree the drums sound very good. I think the track is well composed and it is exciting when it kicks into gear. Another Remake/Remodel of Recant could be worthwhile. :)
I'll probably mix it on Sunday. The character of the track has changed, especially towards the end.

layzer wrote:gonna have to agree with the others... but i think its the timing of the gate that messes it up because the tone itself is nice... here we have the same gated part in sync with a drum n bass part...

https://soundcloud.com/layzerkvr/test

with a little TLC i can hear it sit in there real smooth with the rest.... :tu: :x :D
You're right. That timing is out of whack with the rest of the track. I've made a few changes. I need to remix it on Sunday. I decided to add a second gate with a different pattern to change the feel of the track, and an extra bassline at the end.

I love that synth bass on your remix :tu:

Return to “Music Cafe”