aalto license policy, BOUGHT! - cleared up thanks Madrona... now.. cpu usage?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Yeah ok something very wrong, cause some patches are just what i consider "normal" usage, and some are completely maxing out a core, as in even in activity monitor it will show 70% on a core (which related to 100% on the logic meter in real world usage, 70% real use on a live low latency core is where you'd start getting pops and clicks).

Love to hear from some more mac and logic users then. Obviously not an issue on windows. Cheers and thanks ED!

Not using Logic, but Live on Mavericks. Tried both AU and VST, and on the Mac Activity monitor, Live registers 10% in this example without anything loaded (not even Aalto). Live with either of the patches is 48%, so a 38% increase. This is a MBA i5 1.8 GHz.

Also on mavericks, will try live myself too and see. Might be a logic incompatibility then.. 48% is not a proportionate to ED's findings though on PC, even though he has faster MHZ, yours is 10x the cpu. Doesn't make sense. Seems like a mac issue.

I also find live shows much lower cpu than logic (and also i am on 2.2ghz so not that much faster per core) but craps out much lower, like at 50 or 60% at low latency.

By the way, does the cpu release when you are not pressing notes, or is this the idle usage with patch loaded you are telling me? i.e if you start hitting notes does it go even higher?

For me in Live 9, Mavericks, MacBook Pro 2.8G, most Aalto few patches max at 30 - 35% with 4 voices played.

I guess that's still considered hi-cpu usage (a few instances and you're done); I've gotten used to bouncing everything to audio. Probably why I get nothing done... :D

Ok so it seems more and more like the mac one is not coded like the windows one. :?

I deliberately took Mac's Activity Monitor for testing the CPU usage, as DAW's meters tend to vary wildly from dev to dev. One thing to bear in mind when using the Activity Monitor is that it shows a full 100% per core. So, if you have an application that uses two cores to the max it will show 200%. I'm not sure how Windows displays these things, but they may account at least to some extent for the Windows/Mac discrepancy.

Ok.. my testing in Live makes sense.

25% showing on lives monitor using all 4 polyphony of organ - clean.

25% showing for awfully big bass.

Cpu usage with alton never subsides no matter whether no keys are being played, or whatever patch chosen. Those two are just examples so we all have a known patch to test, it's the same across the board.

Obviously, there is a major problem with Logic then, and possibly denormals all round if cpu never subsides.

So this can only go to 4 polyphony?

In live it's at least usable..

Ok, 5 instances of alto at 128 buffer in live, all playing maximum 4 polyphony using different keys and pad patches, 39% overall on lives meter. That's not what i call "cpu hungry" really.

No matter what though with playback stopped, live stays at 39% constantly.

Something is very wrong with aalto, logic 9 and mavericks :(

Live's CPU meter isn't actually a CPU meter, as I hope you're aware. :)

Yes, of course, but i still know how to relatively judge it and when it craps out.. i know when each host does using their meter.

I have gone back to logic now, and once even one key is pressed in aalto, that's it, the core stays maxed.

I can't play any of the "playable" ie non sequenced patches in realtime without rice krispy factory. None of them.

Therefore i actually can't use aalto in logic :shrug:

I knew what it sounded like cause i tested it before but in snow leopard and a much earlier build, i guess i should have demoed it again, i just presumed it would be the same. (i'd definitely remember a synth maxing a core with a single voice)

I will never learn. Oh well. $49 gone, with hoping at least it will be fixed :(

That's unfortunate. Stuck between Logic and live there's no great option for Aalto. I haven't been using it in Live due to the latency issues. Waiting for bitwig to use it again.

madronalabs wrote:

And hey, Aalto is on sale from now until December 10 for $49!
Ohh wonderful! Instant buy!

Echoes in the Attic wrote:That's unfortunate. Stuck between Logic and live there's no great option for Aalto. I haven't been using it in Live due to the latency issues. Waiting for bitwig to use it again.
i don't use live for composition (and couldn't), only rewired into logic for beats, but i occasionally do cpu and crash testing in it. Even with C7, i just always seem to go back to logic. It's what i'm productive in, i just can't seem to hate it. I still can't believe apple are not updating the bug ridden X though.. i'm in shock in what a bad state it's still in. very sad. hence why cubase is here as an alternative, when 9 stops working some day.

Mavericks :nutter:
Why??!

sqigls wrote:Mavericks :nutter:
Why??!
on the laptop, because my battery time is much higher and no more fans spinning with safari in backround chewing CPU.

On my imac i am on snow, and plan to never change :hihi:

TheoM wrote:
sqigls wrote:Mavericks :nutter:
Why??!
on the laptop, because my battery time is much higher and no more fans spinning with safari in backround chewing CPU.

On my imac i am on snow, and plan to never change :hihi:
Mavericks offers better battery life and higher fan threshold?
I just say this as I have been suspicious of Mavericks since it was released… and almost everyone I know who updated has been having (sometimes MAJOR) problems with it.

So you bought Aalto!?! I am considering doing the same, but the sound is quite challenging to fit into my rig though for some reason. I reckon I'd need to give it the permanent one-synth challenge. I wonder how close to a Buchla it is, I am to assume from what I've heard that Aalto is based on the Buchla sound?

Return to “Instruments”