New Rests Variation MegaKool!

Official support for: musicdevelopments.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The new rest variations are great!

You can make some great chordal rhythms using them in the track header so they apply to the full track.

Thank, Attila.
Help! I've fallen up and can't get down!

Win7 x64 Dual Dualcore Xeon 3.0 Ghz 16 GB Ram. Cubase 6, RapidComposer, BIAB, Abelton 6, Acid Pro 6,Roland XV5080 & Super JD, E-Mu CS PX7, Korg Radias R and MI-EX R, ASR-X Turbo, UAD 2 Quads, stuff.

I am glad you like it!
It was your idea, so I am saying thanks too :)

Attila
https://www.musicdevelopments.com
Home of RapidComposer, Melodya, MIDI Mutator and Syne
All software 40% off during the Anniversary Sale until April 29!

musicdevelopments wrote:I am glad you like it!
It was your idea, so I am saying thanks too :)

Attila
Here's another one ... and a 'BIG' one, I think ... if I may be so bold.

The generators produce variations of note pulses based (presumably) upon music theory and probability.

So why not include generation of rests within the generators? Rests too must be subject to similar rules of music theory and probability. They are really judiciously placed 'silent' notes. It seems to me to some extent the bass generator already incorporates this.

The inclusion of rests in generation would be ideal for the melody generator and probably could work well in chord generators to provide rhythms impacting the chords.

Seems to me rests could be at home in the phrase inspector as naturally or even more so than in the variation inspector.

Win7 x64 Dual Dualcore Xeon 3.0 Ghz 16 GB Ram. Cubase 6, RapidComposer, BIAB, Abelton 6, Acid Pro 6,Roland XV5080 & Super JD, E-Mu CS PX7, Korg Radias R and MI-EX R, ASR-X Turbo, UAD 2 Quads, stuff.

I absolutely agree.

+2 8)

Very good idea! I am not yet sure how it will work and which options to offer to the user. I think I need to get some reading about rests.
Maybe rests should belong to the rhythm rather than the phrase properties.
I'll give it more thought.

Thanks!
Attila

musicdevelopments wrote:Very good idea! I am not yet sure how it will work and which options to offer to the user. I think I need to get some reading about rests.

Thanks!
Attila
I would think about this on the order of choices of one or two rests or 'silent' notes per bar (4 bests) favoring something just before the end of 1/4 note beat 2 and 1/4 note beat 4 so the down beats on 1 and 3 are preserved.

The user could select an interval of beats/ bars for rest inclusion as in the phrase length. So, for an example, select 8 beats (2 bars) and 1 rest. The rest length would be generally one of the note lengths used in the notes.

Anyway, this is how I imagine it might work.

Another thought on this issue. I realize that it is quite easy to 'work around' this by simply shortening phrase lengths and then leaving gaps in the track.

For example, consider a 8 beat/ 2 bar section with a 1 beat rest at the end. Just make your phrase 7 beats long.

This works OK ... but could get tedious as you could never use 'fill' as each phrase would require that same 1 beat gap between it and another phrase.

So let's say you set up a whole track with all the spacing and phrases with rests at the end yo like ... can we select multiple phrases and with Cntrl+Alt drag them 'en masse' to another track? Or is there a 'duplicate' track function?

Those features would make it well worth while to spend the time on one track, provided we could reuse the phrases for other tracks ... both to play different voices at different transpositions and to create 'call and response' passages.

Of course, we now have the great feature of using the rests in the track variation ... which I'm still happily experimenting with to very favorable result. :)

Thank you for your contribution, como baila!

como baila wrote:
musicdevelopments wrote:Very good idea! I am not yet sure how it will work and which options to offer to the user. I think I need to get some reading about rests.

Thanks!
Attila
I would think about this on the order of choices of one or two rests or 'silent' notes per bar (4 bests) favoring something just before the end of 1/4 note beat 2 and 1/4 note beat 4 so the down beats on 1 and 3 are preserved.

The user could select an interval of beats/ bars for rest inclusion as in the phrase length. So, for an example, select 8 beats (2 bars) and 1 rest. The rest length would be generally one of the note lengths used in the notes.

Anyway, this is how I imagine it might work.
Well rests often happen at the end of phrase.. It's like like a coma or a period, so it would divide two statements, or two ideas in a long music al phrase. I have no idea of inner workings of RC, I'm very new her..

Same with rhythm.. the rest can end a rhythmic phrase or better yet,, state the rhythm, and then allow rhythmic rests to come in..

In the old days (yes I'm old) of analog modular synths.. I would get great results by having difference sequencers running different amounts of step before reseting.. And throwing in some switches to shut off the gate or trigger, so note didn't sound.. brought forth all these glorious permutations of the melodic sequences..

Good morning, Mark! ... yes, the end of bars for the melody was what I was trying to describe ... maybe choices like inserted at the end of 1 bar, or 2 bars, or etc.

Interesting! Thank you for your input!

Attila

Return to “MusicDevelopments”