Rapidcomposer 2.53 and cubase 7.5 - problems

Official support for: musicdevelopments.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello

any of you guys had problems with RC 2.53 and cubase 7.5?

i have just installed it on my Win7 64bits . Works fine as standalone, but as VSTi
it crashes all the times, and i cannot even end the task, i cannot close cubase, i have to force restart the PC.

Thanks for your feedback

rgds
Mau

In Ableton RC works fine but in Cubase 5.5, I've had the same issue. For some reason Cubase tries to assign every midi channel that RC has available, 16 midi tracks each and all at the same time, which is causing the crash. When I use the vst rack I can see a ridiculous amount of midi tracks assigned to the project before it goes down. I can say, the developer is aware and is looking into the issue.

Hello Mau,

yes, there are known problems with RC and Cubase. These are investigated and will be hopefully solved in the next 4-5 days. Sorry for the inconveniences.

Attila

Thanks Attila

Best,
Mau

ThatKid wrote:In Ableton RC works fine but in Cubase 5.5, I've had the same issue. For some reason Cubase tries to assign every midi channel that RC has available, 16 midi tracks each and all at the same time, which is causing the crash. When I use the vst rack I can see a ridiculous amount of midi tracks assigned to the project before it goes down. I can say, the developer is aware and is looking into the issue.
If I understand you correctly, what you are experiencing is a function of the way Cubase works. It was designed to be able to be used with a master keyboard so that any selected track would be able to get midi input regardless of what it's midi channel output routing would be. To do this it accepts midi input from any (and all) midi channels sent by the connected midi port.

Since MIDI VSTi may have up to 16 midi channels sent from the port, any track in Cubase connected to a MIDI VSTi will receive as many midi channels as are being sent from the MIDI VSTi. So if you set up your Cubase MIDI track as Channel 1 input from your MIDI VSTi to channel 1 MIDI output to your hardware or softsynth and the MIDI VSTi is using 16 channels ... all 16 will go to the track with input channel 1, all 16 to the track with input channel 2, etc., etc.

And everything will sound horrible.

The answer is to use the MIDI Input Transformer to filter our every channel on the track except the one you want to trigger that particular sound source. Do a search of 'transformer' in this forum and you should see a post about how to do this.

However, this should not cause either RC or Cubase to crash. If it is crashing, it is some other problem.
'
Help! I've fallen up and can't get down!

Win7 x64 Dual Dualcore Xeon 3.0 Ghz 16 GB Ram. Cubase 6, RapidComposer, BIAB, Abelton 6, Acid Pro 6,Roland XV5080 & Super JD, E-Mu CS PX7, Korg Radias R and MI-EX R, ASR-X Turbo, UAD 2 Quads, stuff.

If I understand you correctly, what you are experiencing is a function of the way Cubase works. It was designed to be able to be used with a master keyboard so that any selected track would be able to get midi input regardless of what it's midi channel output routing would be. To do this it accepts midi input from any (and all) midi channels sent by the connected midi port.

Since MIDI VSTi may have up to 16 midi channels sent from the port, any track in Cubase connected to a MIDI VSTi will receive as many midi channels as are being sent from the MIDI VSTi. So if you set up your Cubase MIDI track as Channel 1 input from your MIDI VSTi to channel 1 MIDI output to your hardware or softsynth and the MIDI VSTi is using 16 channels ... all 16 will go to the track with input channel 1, all 16 to the track with input channel 2, etc., etc.

And everything will sound horrible.

The answer is to use the MIDI Input Transformer to filter our every channel on the track except the one you want to trigger that particular sound source. Do a search of 'transformer' in this forum and you should see a post about how to do this.

However, this should not cause either RC or Cubase to crash. If it is crashing, it is some other problem.
'
Thanks.

I think I know why RC crashes with Cubase. There is a workaround: after you started Cubase, hold down the Ctrl key before Cubase starts to scan plug-ins.

The issue is probably RC wanted to load the last composition that was created with the standalone version and for some reason it crashed during loading.
There are several people using RC and Cubase 7.5 happily, so this workaround should fix things until the next bug-fix update is available.
I added several fixes to the VST plug-in so this won't happen in the future.

Thanks,
Attila

Attila
you probably know ... but if not ... Steinberg have ended support for the VST 2.4 SDK and the download is no longer available. See http://www.steinberg.net/en/newsandeven ... -2631.html

The replacement SDK, which has been out for a while, covers VST 3.x, VST 2.x and AU format. Don't know if this makes things easier or harder for you.

Cheers

HI Attila
thanks for the suggestion. I'm sorry but it didn't work. Always crashed.
just to be precise, RC 2.52 worked fine with cubase 7.06. The problem came out after update to cubase 7.5.

Basicly, when i open the RC plugin on cubase, it goes ahead, it asks me if i want to create a midi track:
if i say yes it crashes (all freezes and no way to even forcely close cubase)
if i say no, it is OK, it loads the vst instruments on the rack window. When i click on the icon to open the instrument...here i have the same crash (all freezes)

i tried to open cubase keeping pushed CTRL. Same result.

i'll wait patiently for the fix. i like RC a LOT!

rgds
Mau

Thank you, Raymond0, I did not know about it.

It will require some effort to support VST3, because RapidComposer is both a plug-in and a host... This was planned sooner or later anyway. As I have heard it won't be easy.

One thing is sure, VST2.x plugins and hosts supporting them will be available for years.

Thanks,
Attila

maubusy wrote: just to be precise, RC 2.52 worked fine with cubase 7.06. The problem came out after update to cubase 7.5.

Basicly, when i open the RC plugin on cubase, it goes ahead, it asks me if i want to create a midi track:
if i say yes it crashes (all freezes and no way to even forcely close cubase)
if i say no, it is OK, it loads the vst instruments on the rack window. When i click on the icon to open the instrument...here i have the same crash (all freezes)
For me it is just the opposite. Earlier, with Cubase 6 and 7 and RC 1.x and 2.0, I had a lot of crashes. Now, with RC 2.53 and Cubase 7.5 it works quite well for me.

Hi Mau,

then it seems Cubase does not scan for plug-ins. Try to hold Ctrl when the RapidComposer plug-in is actually instantiated, e.g. when you click on the icon in the rack window.

Alternatively this should also work: run the standalone version, create a new composition, either an empty or a simple one (don't use VSTi plug-ins please:). Save it, then quit the program. Now the VST version should work next time.

Thanks,

Hi Attila
I think that Cubase 7 dropped support for anything before vst 2.4... see http://www.steinberg.net/fileadmin/file ... _Chart.pdf which only mentions vst 2.4 and vst 3.

I get the sense Cubase 7 doesn't seem to like plugins that aren't fully compliant with their vst spec.

Another suggestion just in case... http://ygrabit.steinberg.de/~ygrabit/pu ... index.html ... although I have no idea of programming I subscribed to the vst plugin email list to get a sense of where things are heading. Takeouts are that the new SDK is up to v3.6 (from v3) and still has a few bugs .... vst 3 hasn't been fully embraced ... Apple OS updates seem to make developers cry and lose their hair .... there is an iOS version now out. Once registered you can access the archive.

Closer to home ...http://www.kvraudio.com/product/vst-aud ... -steinberg

Cheers

Hi Attila
thanks again but no success, i've tried all you told me to do.
PLus, i have another PC (always win7 64 bits) that i use mainly for video purposes (editing, montage) , and also for music. I had installed nuendo 6.06 trial. Then i installed cubase 7.5 and RC 2.53. Just to compare the behaviour.

well on that PC
RC 2.53 vsti + cubase 7.5= crash always
RC 2.53 vsti + Nuendo 6.06 works fine

Evidently Cubase 7.5 has something new...
cheers
Mau

maubusy wrote:Hi Attila
thanks again but no success, i've tried all you told me to do.
PLus, i have another PC (always win7 64 bits) that i use mainly for video purposes (editing, montage) , and also for music. I had installed nuendo 6.06 trial. Then i installed cubase 7.5 and RC 2.53. Just to compare the behaviour.

well on that PC
RC 2.53 vsti + cubase 7.5= crash always
RC 2.53 vsti + Nuendo 6.06 works fine

Evidently Cubase 7.5 has something new...
cheers
Mau
Mau,
It is strange that one Steinberg product works while the other will not.

The following may not be the problem, or solution; on the other hand it may be.

See this thread for some installation hints:

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=394420

I am hopeful the solution will be this simple and is definitely worth a try.

Let us know how it turns out.

Best of luck!

Happy Musiking!
dsan

Return to “MusicDevelopments”