CPU's for a windows 7 x64 update (plus other build talk)

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

er, ssd not loading komplete any faster than other system that I can tell.

hibidy wrote:er, ssd not loading komplete any faster than other system that I can tell.
ram is always faster.

nevertheless,since a hdd is spinning,a ssd is more stress resistant and the read cycles are almost 0 demanding.

One thing I really hate about installing software on a new computer is that no matter HOW anal you try to be, you always frack something up.

hibidy wrote:er, ssd not loading komplete any faster than other system that I can tell.
If you mean it's not installing faster, that's because it's limited by the read speed of the Komplete drive.

Try using HDTune or CrystalMark to measure the differences. They are huge!
ALL YOUR DATA ARE BELONG TO US - Google

https://soundcloud.com/dan-ling
http://danling.com

Thanks man! I just thought that since the OS installed in nearly record time.

BTW: TO ALL:

Thanks a bunch! :)

WHOO HOO! Got S1 and komplete installed and it's a mad-mad. Can you say "instant kontakt/etc?" I knew you could.

Again, thanks to everyone who helped so much

SSD rocks!

Speed + silence == joy.
... space is the place ...

Congrats hibby! Glad you are liking it. :tu:

Happy Musiking!
dsan
My DAW System:
W7, i5, x64, 8Gb Ram, Edirol FA-101

Just some things in case someone is building a computer and stumbles across this:

So, the biggest mistake I made was going with the lower priced corsair PSU. It has this fan that kicks in from time to time that is noisy. Should have gotten the seasonic as recommended. I guess I had this bird chirping in my ear about how great the corsair stuff is and kinda had it locked in my brain. Sorry I didn't listen.

I recommend this case. (corsair 330R). Case fans are quiet unlike the PSU and it was really easy to get everything to fit. Organized and the panels were all lined/dampened. The only thing was the front panel connections ARE NOT clear on exactly how to install them. Better instructions would have helped.

@CPU i74770: In real world testing, it smokes my older i7 860 (first gen). Much of the spiking I had in studio one is gone and there is quite a bit less of load. Haven't busted out the big projects (actually I haven't finished installing all of my software) but it's clear it was a good choice. What I find the most surprising is how cool it runs even with the stock fan. About 40C at most and on my first gen i7 I needed a much better fan to get it that cool. Anyways, if looking and unless you can't afford the 4770, I think it's a good choice it seems.

Wish list: I know there was a suggestion for a WIFI card somewhere on here, but whatever I got kinda blows. (a TP-link?) Even though it's a dual arm I get much worse reception than the old computer even though it's in the exact same location. I'm not into buying/returning a bunch of stuff so I wish there was a way to KNOW which would work best. I'd recommend doing significantly more research on this if you are like me and keep a net connection. I'm still "g" connection so maybe if you have a better net it's more obvious what works and what doesn't.

This is a great thread Hibidy. May I ask what your final build specs where? I looked through the thread and found this a few pages back and wondered if this is what you went with in the end..

samsung dvd burner
-corsair carbide 330 case
-corsair CX750 PSU
-seagate 2TB drive for audio and storage
-samsung 750GB SSD for OS, libraries and the like
-zotac nvidia GT630 fanless VGA
-corsair vengeance 16 GB of ram
-windows 7x64 ultimate
-intel core i7 4770
-gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H
My milkshake brings all the girls to the yard

http://soundcloud.com/the-boogee-man

Yes, and it came out great except one thing. The PSU is too noisy. Too lazy to replace it. Other than that it's been pretty dreamy.

I priced that out in Germany. It was about €1300. Not bad for such a decent machine. Still, that would mean beans on toast for a long time. And of course lying to my girlfriend about how much it really cost.

"yes, baby it was only €300. Such a bargain".
My milkshake brings all the girls to the yard

http://soundcloud.com/the-boogee-man

hibidy wrote:WHOO HOO! Got S1 and komplete installed and it's a mad-mad. Can you say "instant kontakt/etc?" I knew you could.
Yep, SSD is incredible. There's just no going back once you realise how much your HDD was bottlenecking ultra-simple general purpose computing tasks. Double clicking any program or file and it just being instantly there (even immediately after a cold boot with no precaching etc) feels like the proverbial missing link has finally been bridged. I'd gladly lose 1 GHz from my processor in exchange for the snappy, responsive feel of an SSD system if I had to choose between the two.

I think I'm going to get another SSD drive since they seem to be getting cheaper (newegg had a 240GB samsung for a really low price recently) The seagate 2TB drive is a tad noisy at times and I don't need that much storage (I back everything important onto an external drive)

All of my projects are on the E drive (since I don't want rewriting on the C drive for obvious reasons) and sometimes that still takes a bit to load. I figure if they price is right and even though it's rewriting a good bit, it's still going to have a long life.

I thought I'd save a thread and repost here instead of starting a new one.

Crap, the samsung is on sale and I'm not decided :cry:

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”