CPU Questions

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have a MacBook Air, mid-2011 with a 1.7Ghz dual-core processor, and I am having CPU trouble stacking multiple instances of Massive, running Diva in DRAFT mode, and running Prism.

Yes, I DO realize those plugins are quite CPU intense.

My questions are:

1. How much better CPU performance could I expect if I upgraded to a new computer with a 6 core top-of-the-line Intel processor?
2. Are those of you who have have such processors able to run multiple instances of Prism or Diva without issues?
3. Will upgrading my computer as described allow me to have an EXPONENTIALLY better experience with the above plugins? Or, am I better off just living with what I have and using workarounds?

I don't mind running Maschine in Ableton and using track freezing, but a big problem is that simply running Prism (without playing) takes up an enormous amount of CPU. I also love the workflow of Maschine standalone, but it is a bummer to have all of those nice NI presets, which I'm unable to use due to my CPU. I also don't want to spend money on a new computer if it won't make things exponentially better.

Any thoughts and comments are most welcome. But, "freezing" patterns in Maschine is not fun.

Thanks!!
Last edited by jbone1313 on Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DIVA is now multicore so it can spread it's voices across multiple CPU cores. More cores the better when running DIVA or ACE.

Ableton Live runs each track on it's own core if it can. Live 9.1 can render using multiple cores.

If you can, wait as intel has a new CPU due in 2014 but if it's hell with your CPU a quad core with more Ghz will be far better than what you have now. Apple are working with intel to get a 12 core CPU but it will cost mega bucks.

I can run multiple DIVAs at 48khz 12ms latency with an i7 3.4Ghz.

jbone1313 wrote:I have a MacBook Air
jbone1313 wrote: Will upgrading my CPU allow me to....
You can't upgrade your CPU. You need to buy a new Mac.
(on a desktop PC you could..)

More power will enable to you to use more stuff, yes.
www.mkdr.net

MophoEd - the BEST DSI Mopho Editor VSTi

Unfortunately those MacBook Air's and most slim line computers suck for upgrading and that processor is quite dated as far as power is concerned. Especially when it comes to trying to run powerful modern VSTs like the DIVA.

Thanks for the replies, folks. Yes, I TOTALLY understand that you cannot upgrade a Macbook Air's CPU. I should have clarified that in my questions. That said, my questions are still valid. What I meant is: Is it worth upgrading to a new computer with a faster CPU?

Your opinions and comments are still welcome.

I clarified the OP.

Thanks!

It is worth it if you would like to run the kind of plugins you are wanting to run... :)

Kaboom75 wrote:DIVA is now multicore so it can spread it's voices across multiple CPU cores. More cores the better when running DIVA or ACE.
Also, the optimal load/distribution depends on the specific scenario. At least some low poly patches might actually yield dramatically better results on the project level when you keep the multi-core mode off. This depends on the DAW software used and all that jazz.

For example, take the "MK Joy" lead patch from the factory library. Make sure Diva is set to "divine" quality, make no other changes. On my i7-3770K system at stock clock speed (3.5 GHz), buffer size at 128 samples (output latency reported 4.69 ms at 44.1 kHz) I can get about 67-68 instances of this playing nicely in Ableton Live, with Diva's multi-core operation turned off.

Trying this with multi-core turned on, it's a complete trainwreck much, much sooner. (Same thing with the init patch, switching to legato mode in divine quality, 95-96 instances, practically grinding to a total halt when trying the same multi-core enabled).

Edit: Funnily enough, I get the same performance -- well, the same ballpark anyway -- on poly patches which should, in theory, have a better chance of working with multi-core turned on (as one "divine" instance with eight voices won't be putting the load on one single core). Testing the factory dream synth category, the patch "MK Planet Earth", I can comfortably run eight instances at divine quality and the same buffer settings as above, playing long notes simultaneously so the load is at full 8 voices per instance.

In other words, on this system that particular patch weighs in at 64 voices total, with multi-core off. Turning multi-core on actually introduces some glitching. (Also, just tried it, turning multi-core off again, adding one more instance and bringing up the voice count one by one, went to a total of 68 voices with zero glitches or crackles :), so it seems to be surprisingly comparable to the total voice count of single-voice instances indeed.)

jbone1313 wrote:running Diva in DRAFT mode
For a more direct comparison, patch "MK Planet Earth" in draft mode, four simultaneous voices playing chords in each instance. Less than 5 ms latency, 64 instances total (256 total voices) in Ableton Live. So yeah, if you're currently having trouble running multiple Divas in draft mode, I think it's safe to say you'll get remarkably better performance if you go for a new system :)

look for other threads with the content: vienna ensemble pro.
I'm not getting paid for promoting it, but if the question is "change and spend a lot" or "make resources free so you can stack lots of synths more in the same computer" this program can make a HUGE difference on the way the cpu is handled.
I'm not going to argue with the techies on this, but for me this was thé solution and i generally work with 40/50 vst's alike the ones you name in one single computer.
You can also try their demo and give it a try, so you don't have to spend before you are convinced.

kind regards,
R.

Guenon wrote:
Kaboom75 wrote:DIVA is now multicore so it can spread it's voices across multiple CPU cores. More cores the better when running DIVA or ACE.
Also, the optimal load/distribution depends on the specific scenario. At least some low poly patches might actually yield dramatically better results on the project level when you keep the multi-core mode off. This depends on the DAW software used and all that jazz.

For example, take the "MK Joy" lead patch from the factory library. Make sure Diva is set to "divine" quality, make no other changes. On my i7-3770K system at stock clock speed (3.5 GHz), buffer size at 128 samples (output latency reported 4.69 ms at 44.1 kHz) I can get about 67-68 instances of this playing nicely in Ableton Live, with Diva's multi-core operation turned off.

Trying this with multi-core turned on, it's a complete trainwreck much, much sooner. (Same thing with the init patch, switching to legato mode in divine quality, 95-96 instances, practically grinding to a total halt when trying the same multi-core enabled).

Edit: Funnily enough, I get the same performance -- well, the same ballpark anyway -- on poly patches which should, in theory, have a better chance of working with multi-core turned on (as one "divine" instance with eight voices won't be putting the load on one single core). Testing the factory dream synth category, the patch "MK Planet Earth", I can comfortably run eight instances at divine quality and the same buffer settings as above, playing long notes simultaneously so the load is at full 8 voices per instance.

In other words, on this system that particular patch weighs in at 64 voices total, with multi-core off. Turning multi-core on actually introduces some glitching. (Also, just tried it, turning multi-core off again, adding one more instance and bringing up the voice count one by one, went to a total of 68 voices with zero glitches or crackles :), so it seems to be surprisingly comparable to the total voice count of single-voice instances indeed.)
Hence the problem with multithreading plugins used in a host that also multithreads- with multiple instances, you don't have enough time for thread distribution, unless you use larger buffer sizes. It becomes a tradeoff very quickly.

ew
A spectral heretic...

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”