Snippet written around a snare line warm up cadence at UA

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Snareline - The snare theme part was alternating right and left hand at a faster speed of course. A drumline warm up. The good old days.
http://compusouth.net/a/snareline.mp3

And a b side, well they're both b-sides!
http://compusouth.net/a/121513.mp3
Last edited by crimsontider on Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Double. Sorry 'bout that.

"snareline" has a mid-'80s electronic sound. I'm guessing that this represents a snapshot of your musical history from college. I hope I'm not ageing you prematurely.

"121513" reminded me of the Porcupine Tree sound of the early-mid '90s. Both the guitars and the general vibe of the piece.

Good work :)
Last edited by seismic1 on Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks for the comments my friend. Yes I was in the drumline at Bama in 88-89 and that was one of the warmups.

I have this theory, in general and certainly not everyone, that people grow up absorbing new music. At around the age of 24-27 a ratio of new to you back catalog develops, probably 80-20%, and listening to new music dwindles down and by about age 40 it is 10%-90% new to backlog. Then you start rationalizing it with "music was just better back then" but in reality it was better because you absorbed it during the season's of your youth.

One thing I have found interesting is that I love watching MTVU the college music, which used to show the upcoming trends, and the music is great. Seems like whenever there is a really good new instrument, like guitar with effects 70-80, analog then digital synths in the 80's, drum machines in the 90's, that music in general gets better for a spell from the inspiration of the instrument. The VSTI and DAW on the home computer is really creating some good music right now, and it's not on the radio.

Wish I had this stuff in my teens and 20's. I was around 34 when I discovered Fl Studio and was instantly amazed. That I could have a Korg Wavestation on my PC? And record in similar fashion to an expensive studio. Wish it had happened 10 years earlier.

crimsontider wrote:
I have this theory, in general and certainly not everyone, that people grow up absorbing new music. At around the age of 24-27 a ratio of new to you back catalog develops, probably 80-20%, and listening to new music dwindles down and by about age 40 it is 10%-90% new to backlog. Then you start rationalizing it with "music was just better back then" but in reality it was better because you absorbed it during the season's of your youth.
That's probably true, but I seem to have reversed the trend slightly over the last 2-3 years. It may be that most people of a certain age afford music lower priority as other concerns seem to occupy the ever-declining reserves of free time :?

seismic1 wrote:
crimsontider wrote:
That's probably true, but I seem to have reversed the trend slightly over the last 2-3 years. It may be that most people of a certain age afford music lower priority as other concerns seem to occupy the ever-declining reserves of free time :?
My father, who is 80, grew up with Jazz and he is still very active in the new music, especially contemporary jazz type singers and performers. He never shut the door on new good music. Happy to hear you do the same. It's usually a result of a higher IQ imo.

Flattery will get you everywhere :lol:

Return to “Music Cafe”