Is there a metal cassette tape emulator?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I loved the sound of vinyl recorded to a 80s Technics cassette recorder.

I've searched on "metal tape" but couldn't find anything.

Can anyone advise?

thanx in advance
Member 12, Studio One v6.5, VPS Avenger, Kontakt 7, Spitfire, Dune, Arturia, Sonible, Baby Audio, CableGuys, Nektar Panorama P1, Vaporizer 2 to test out

kevvvvv wrote:I loved the sound of vinyl recorded to a 80s Technics cassette recorder.

Can anyone advise?

thanx in advance
My favourite tools for Tape Sound ...

If you just want distortion and saturation then I recommend you Variety of Sounds 'Ferric TDS' otherwise if you want also the imperfection of tape e.g. wow & flutter noise and so one I recommend you TB Reelbus or (I prefer and) Satin by u-he.
rabbit in a hole

early Metallica tapes not metal enough for you?
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

Maybe he meant metaloxide tape.

I've seen change of tapes in a tape emulator - if it was Waves J37.

But you pretty much get the same effect by adjusting bias - which also Waves KMT has, and many others.

Bias adjust the frequency correction curve from a specific tape brand+model. In real world it adjust a high pitch current blended with music signal when recorded - that affect high end response from tape.

Metaloxide tape provide a little better S/N ratio for high end - and it needs a little more bias current - and then at playback a cut in high end response curve.

But if doing the same - increase bias - on a regular tape - you get a high pitch cut, loose some high end(as I remember doing this).

Normally you adjust bias to give as flat response as possible.

kevvvvv wrote:I loved the sound of vinyl recorded to a 80s Technics cassette recorder.

Can anyone advise?

thanx in advance
There really is one for windows but i can't remember the name of the plugin, it really does exist. Whether it is accurate or not i can't answer, but i had remember using it a few times before i went mac. i will try really hard to remember for you and see if i can find it. It specifically emulated a couple different cassette tapes.

http://tonebytes.com/tape-noise/

there's those, but they are only sampling the noise (inc metal tape) so not the one i was thinking of but i will be stubborn and find it (but must sleep at 330 am now :hihi:)

There was one specifically with a pic of a cassette tape with types you could drive.

I think The oM is referring to Tapehell by 1982ART. I wouldn't say it is a very accurate tape sim but it is a VERY nice saturator/warmer (and free) so there is nothing to lose in trying it.

theodore_whitmore wrote:I think The oM is referring to Tapehell by 1982ART. I wouldn't say it is a very accurate tape sim but it is a VERY nice saturator/warmer (and free) so there is nothing to lose in trying it.
https://1982art.wordpress.com/descargas/

lfm .... you reckon it's the bias that creates that metal tape sound.

So all I need is a tape emulator plug with an adjustable bias.

And so losing a bit of top end is what makes metal tape sound "metal".

cheers = kev
Member 12, Studio One v6.5, VPS Avenger, Kontakt 7, Spitfire, Dune, Arturia, Sonible, Baby Audio, CableGuys, Nektar Panorama P1, Vaporizer 2 to test out

Then U-HE's Satin might be up your alley.You can't get any better sandbox system as of this moment.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

No it wasn't tape hell. It had a GUI similar to today's tape plugins but with a cassette tape spinning instead and a pretty interface and proper dials. I can't remember this 100% but I think it may have had a Dolby setting too. This will do my head in to find, as I googled and couldn't, and I'm guessing it was an old se creation. It was I a group of plugins from the same dev, windows only. I'm going to find it!

kevvvvv wrote:lfm .... you reckon it's the bias that creates that metal tape sound.

cheers = kev
Not entirely, but the ones I mentioned could be worth looking at how close you get - they got free demos.

I used metal tapes mostly for masteringtape from my multitracker tapemachines.

The mid and high end is very distinct compared to any predecessor technology. Maybe exciters are more close giving that raise in perceived hi end. Thinking looking at SPL Vitalizer or similar. I see no other magic about it.

For one tapedeck I made my own bias switch for, to get the best sound possible from different tapes I had. They were all so different. In the end I sticked with Maxell and didn't have to change so much. Metal tapes wore down tapeheads so much I didn't use it for casual listening too much, carefully adjusted bias worked so well for chrome and regular low noise tapes together with Dolby C.

So maybe look into exciters instead.

lfm wrote:
kevvvvv wrote:lfm .... you reckon it's the bias that creates that metal tape sound.

cheers = kev
Not entirely, but the ones I mentioned could be worth looking at how close you get - they got free demos.

I used metal tapes mostly for masteringtape from my multitracker tapemachines.

The mid and high end is very distinct compared to any predecessor technology. Maybe exciters are more close giving that raise in perceived hi end. Thinking looking at SPL Vitalizer or similar. I see no other magic about it.

So maybe look into exciters instead.
+1

I did this also, to dupe from the metal "master" to distributable (freebie/demo) cassettes, from various reel-2-reels (e.g. Tascam 34B/48/388 Studio-8/TSR-8, etc).

The OP could get the real thing by recording onto cassette, and importing to his DAW.

[2c]
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

I know it's not metal cassette tape, but I have bounced tracks to an old VHS video player, on a really worn tape that has been recorded on many times. It gives sources a real funky character to them. Try various input levels for pleasant sounding distortion.

yeah I also always advise people who search this cassette tape effect to actually do it with a cassette tape. Or a VCR. It's not as convenient as an insert plugin in your DAW, but it brings the sound 100%, and it's not much of work.

Just recently found a 3-head Sony tape deck with adjustable bias for cheap. Always wanted one, they were expensive at that time. Works great for (almost) real-time effects and DAW bounce-back. And I think better than any plugin. I own Satin by the way.

Return to “Effects”