Studio Quality Vocals

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi ,

I am new to vocal processing . I am learning all the effects plugins like EQ, compression ,delay,reverb, desser, etc .

When I record a song , I am experimenting with all the plugins i have to bring out a good output . Often I fail to bring the best quality .

Is there a shortcut to use all these plugins ? I mean is there any basic specific values applied for all the vocals in general ?

For Example ,
For the compressor , use Threshold = - 10 DB
ratio = 3:1
attack = 3 ms
release = 4ms

( This is just an example of what I am looking for . The values are random . )

Likewise I would need values to be set in for all the plugins which I can use to bring out a studio quality vocals .

Any help on this is very much appreciated .

Thanks in advance .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPtVMbF20Hk

I just saw this video on youtube but wasn't very helpful :(

Here's a great tutorial with some compressor values:

http://music.tutsplus.com/tutorials/how ... udio-18888

Generally, the attack should be only a few ms (unless you're mixing opera vocals), the release a bit longer (but still short), maybe 40 to 70 ms. The ratio should be between 2:1 and 6:1, the threshold around - 20 db (just as an example).

The first thing you should do is volume-ride/automate the volume. This reduces the need for compression and makes the vocals more clear overall.

metamorphosis wrote:The first thing you should do is volume-ride/automate the volume. This reduces the need for compression and makes the vocals more clear overall.
If you are doing this it is often times better to run your compressor post fader. I find that it give an overall more natural sound.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

Also before you spend lots of time and money on plugins for vocal processing make sure you have addressed any acoustic issues in your recording space. Vocals recorded in a properly treated room on a well set up mic often need little processing to sound "studio quality".
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

"Studio Quality Vocals" eh?

Forget EQ, compressors, automation etc. Forget ALL that until you've read Ah_Dziz's previous post 100 times and absorbed every word, because the man speaks the truth.

And one more thing...

You will definitely need a studio quality vocalist - one who understands mic technique, placement, breathing, and a host of other stuff learned from experience.

The golden, number-one rule when recording ANY acoustic source is to get the sound right before it enters the mic. If you can do this, you'll find that you hardly need any extra processing, bar some minor EQ tweaks and maybe some dynamic processing.

True is that if you had $1,000, it's better to buy a great mic with pop shield etc. than a bunch of expensive vocal processing plugins...

Or hire a great vocalist like Michael George... :wink:

Nevertheless, even the best vocals need some compressing, EQ, de-essing, doubling, pitchshifting, harmonizing, panning, delay and reverb...

Spending money - decent mic and preamp.
Spending time - practice vocal techniques like right and same distance from mic - even doing multiple takes. Stronger vocals - a little more distance.

If some takes are much closer to mic - automate sends to reverb to make them consistent.

If still not good - spend more money on plugins, and take the time to demo which ones work better.

If your daw does not provide easy A/B-testing see to that plugins have that - all Waves stuff are really good being consistent in having that. Especially compressors are subtle in what they do - and very helpful to A/B test.

Ah_Dziz wrote:Also before you spend lots of time and money on plugins for vocal processing make sure you have addressed any acoustic issues in your recording space. Vocals recorded in a properly treated room on a well set up mic often need little processing to sound "studio quality".
My friend recently acoustically treated every surface he thought might be an issue in his recording space (very small finished basement with carpeting, but not square) and the difference in recording/mixing was night and day. He found a local guy selling baffling and Aurelex foam very cheap and bought a pickup truck load from him. Coated almost every single inch of open wall he could. Zero refelctions going on, and it has now allowed the band to practice at a very low volume level and still be focused and clear.

Return to “Effects”