Free - NI Supercharger

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Supercharger

I did not like the sound of it at all, too soft for my taste.

Flandersh wrote:I did not like the sound of it at all, too soft for my taste.
Out of interest, what aggressive compressor do you prefer instead?

A.M. Gold wrote:
hibidy wrote:
A.M. Gold wrote:
hibidy wrote:I'm glad you got it sorted. Really silly that NI doesn't allow the vista installer, I think that is being too optimistic on the updates.

The last time I saw one of those pie charts on who is using what, xp was STILL the largest userbase for windows.
Right, which makes it ridiculous that devs are coding plug-ins that will run fine on XP and then allowing the frigging INSTALLER to dictate that you must have Win 7 or 8.

They could make the argument that MS is about to drop XP support but so what----huge numbers of people will still be running it after that. I don't know when Spectrasonics is going to release their much anticipated next update but I may not have been able to install it but for the workarounds I learned about here. I don't know when I'm going to get time to deal with the perils of going x64 and I refuse to clean install Win 7 twice so I'm not in a hurry to deal with the upgrade.
Even though I've been on win7 successfully for years and years, I agree. If it's working for you, don't bork it.
I want to update but going 64 bit and totally redoing my OS isn't a small operation. I'm not sure how much I'm going to lose after I go through it all. I want those Omnisphere updates as soon as they come out so I'm just glad I'm not being forced to do the update before I have time.

I also have to spring for Kontakt 5 in addition to more RAM. I only have 3.5 and I'm not even sure if it ever offered 64 bit, or if it ever worked well if it did.
edit: Oops, hit the send button too eary....

Ok, well, it's not an "easy" operation, but it's not that bad. My suggestion when you do do it is that you can have bother computers working at once if possible. I guess I'm just lucky to have enough crap to do that. The only thing that can kinda throw you is that you have the x86 folder, and the "program file" folder and at first you gotta kinda remember what goes where. I highly recommend (funds willing) to get to an i7/x64 system. It's really cool to be able to have all those plugs working w/o having to bounce/freeze all the time.

soundpalace wrote:
I would not say I prefer aggressive compressors, I like transparent and natural sound in compressors. I have little experience with digital emulated tube compressors, and as such I have little to compare to, but I find the VM-Comp/Limiter library for Nebula transparent and great sounding.

To me the subtle warming in NI Supercharger is not subtle, making it soft sounding in a distorted way I do not prefer.

Flandersh wrote:
soundpalace wrote:
I would not say I prefer aggressive compressors, I like transparent and natural sound in compressors. I have little experience with digital emulated tube compressors, and as such I have little to compare to, but I find the VM-Comp/Limiter library for Nebula transparent and great sounding.

To me the subtle warming in NI Supercharger is not subtle, making it soft sounding in a distorted way I do not prefer.
There are a few tricks I have found with Supercharger. Firstly, if you don't want saturation, simply leave Dirt off. However, if you want subtle colouration, turn Dirt on and adjust the Input Gain appropriately before you tweak the compression amount. Supercharger can be very subtle if you use this trick :)

Hope this helps!

TheoM wrote:
hibidy wrote:I can't use it the way I'd like. Rendering is an issue. What I'd like to do is squash the living snot out of a drum break for "effect" and it sounds good on playback but if I bounce/render I get that huge click in on the first transient :bang:

I'm bummed!
I measured it's clicky but so far until you i was the only one. I guess it's free so some people think it's automatically amazing.
Sorry about that, i meant to say mentioned not measured. this ipad correcting perfectly good words is starting to shit me!

Anyway i tested it on some electronics drums and a couple other bass today, and it did the same thing, it introduced unpredictable and undesirable clicks at the start of transients. it's not my cup of tea, but it might be ok for some acoustic instruments, might test it again later.

No, I'm just glad I'm not the only one. I've got blessed compressors, just really like the "effect" that this gives and thought I could use it. Thanks Theo.

I get the click if i don't leave a space before the start of the render.
Duh

bungle wrote:I get the click if i don't leave a space before the start of the render.
That's what I'm wondering. Ok, I'll play around with it more. My rendering has been in studio one with "bounce" and maybe if I do a stem it will be more desirable. Thanks for checking.

I will be honest though, DC8C2 and TB Reelbus both do the same thing here
I am just used to adding a bit of prespace on renders with these types of processors
Duh

It's naaaah untill you drive it hard. Then it does some interesting "parallel-ish" sounding stuff on the signal, which is cool. Nice on drums.

soundpalace wrote:
Flandersh wrote:
soundpalace wrote:

There are a few tricks I have found with Supercharger. Firstly, if you don't want saturation, simply leave Dirt off. However, if you want subtle colouration, turn Dirt on and adjust the Input Gain appropriately before you tweak the compression amount. Supercharger can be very subtle if you use this trick :)

Hope this helps!
With Dirt off and input trim -30 dB it is not subtle anymore with a compression factor of 1.45, and with Dirt off and input trim 0 dB it is not subtle with a compression factor of 1.15. At this stages it introduce this softness I don't like. Compared to my hardware tube pre-amp sound (standard cheap 12ax7 tube), the Supercharger has little in common where the VM-Comp/Library has much when it comes to the sound characteristics.

Kriminal wrote:Where did i do that? i said the 'service center' really isnt needed for a free plugin
Yeah, I completely misread the context and realize I was 100% wrong. Sorry. I removed my post.

I agree on the non-subtle nature of the dirt, but it sounds great on forward, aggressive material. Even not-too-aggressive rock vocals sound good with some dirt, really helps cut through the mix. The dry/wet knob can help dial it back if needed. I'm very happy with this freebie.

soundpalace wrote:
The Aggressatron 9000 works for me.

Return to “Effects”