Cableguys FilterShaper 3 Public Beta! Features and pre-sale

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
FilterShaper

TheoM wrote:Do current filtershaper 2 users also get the free update? This is looking fantastic guys :tu:
Glad you like it! It will be free for everyone who purchases the Cableguys Bundle or FilterShaper 2 until the release of FilterShaper 3. (Note that the Bundle is currently 20% off!)

For older users, we will have an upgrade price. It'll be a fair one!

Jakob / Cableguys wrote:
pauldavid wrote:So are u saying another beta is gonna be released before the actual release ?..just wondering werether to wait to download this one or just wait .
Yes, beta 2 is coming today..
Downloaded the beta and I gotta say already ...take my money...This thing is outstanding.
Would say that the overall look of it made me think it was virtual dj or somthing at first...also looks a lot like the filter section in my virus ti...Personally its not a bad thing for me as the spacing of everything makes it easy to use and no unneeded bits cramped in together. Although I imagine you could get it looking a bit sexier in the future and im interested to see what could be done with the overall design..but either way if it stayed the same as it is now I wouldnt mind also.
Defenitly a lot easier to get your head around then filtershaper 2 and the ability to retrigger is much welcome.
I dont normally get excited over new plugins but I must say this has made me moist in the pantie.

I'm not keen on this plugin at all. For several reasons:

Firstly - it says I can only add 40 points? Why limit it? Why not just let people add points until they run out of CPU?

Secondly, why choose a 50hz limit for us? I'd like to decide the frequency that I want the filter to stop at, and what sounds good to me.

Thirdly, why are triplets missing from synced lfo speeds? Surely this is an easy feature to implement?

Fourthly, there seems to be a few features missing from filtrshaper 2. This sucks, it's supposed to be an upgrade so why take away features?

Lastly, as others have said, please give us a larger GUI. It's 2013 and more people are using retina/4k monitors. Hell, this is small on my 1080p monitor.

Beta 2 is out now!

We've fixed a bug with broken output when using parallel filters and a filter volume of 0.

We've changed the parameter colours to a brighter red, emphasized menus, added buttons for the enlarged waveform editor, and did lots of other graphic tweaks (some more to come).

We made the UI behave smoother under Logic.

We added a signed installer for OS X (let us know if the installation does not work on your OS X!).

Download the beta here:

Windows:
http://www.cableguys.de/downloads/Cable ... in.zip?v=2

Mac:
http://www.cableguys.de/downloads/Cable ... ac.zip?v=2

Downloading now :)

OK, so let's go through my existing points for the new versioin:

The following points have not changed status since the last version
soundpalace wrote:- I notice the range of the Cutoff knobs is 50 Hz - 18 KHz instead of the extended 20 Hz - 20 kHz. Any reason that this is limited? Even at the lowest cutoff, bass is still coming through which means that sweeps won't be completely able to vanish when the cutoff is all the way down. Similarly for the upper limit.
- Is there a way to link LFOs? e.g. One LFO can control multiple things? I understand there's Copy and Paste but this means that any changes to one envelope must be copied to the others each time. This was actually possible in FilterShaper2.
- Is there any way to choose what grid the snap is set for?
- Combining the two drive knobs on the filters would probably be a good idea as I do find the current implementation a little confusing to work with.
- I found myself constantly clicking the preset name in the top middle of the plugin and expecting the preset browser to pop up. Not sure, but should the preset browser pop up when clicking on the preset name?
- I think the filter selection menu probably should have some extra height below the last filter for neatness.
- The ability to link both filters would be great for multiband sidechain effects using the 6db/oct filters as a crossover.
- It seems the double clicking to add a soft/hard point is a little touchy, the point is not drawn until you release the mouse button.
- BUG: Open the plugin and hit the New button. Now hover over the Filter 1 Cutoff knob and notice that the border no longer appears around it.
The following have been repaired (thanks!):
soundpalace wrote:- When zooming into the LFO waveform, it would be ideal if all LFO manipulation controls (e.g. shift left, shift right, mirror .etc) remained in view.
- Start a new preset (from init) and switch the mode to Parallel. Now set one of the L or R volume to Off and you'll hear the audio on that channel become all garbed, like its been severely bitcrushed. To hear this clearly, ensure that your input signal doesn't have a lot of high frequencies.
Regarding the following points:
soundpalace wrote:- I'm personally colourblind and am finding one particular colour choice very hard to see. This is the value of knobs when selected, would you consider a brighter colour instead?
- The UI is a bit too dark for me too, i think you had the balance of brightness right with VolumeShaper3. Particularly the top half of the interface (where the filters are) is really dark on my screen and the knobs themselves are way too dark too.
- I'm finding it really hard to see what value each of my knobs are set to as the indicator is quite small and subtle, especially on the smaller knobs.
There is definitely an improvement in the new version, but I still feel that the knobs are too dark and the value indicator on them (especially on the samll ones) is extremely hard to see. The brighter colour for the numeric value of each knob is marginally better, but I still find it hard to see.

And a new problem (or one I hadn't noticed before):

- When switching to Parallel, even with each channel hard panned L and R, the signal ends up 3db louder than when it started. I'm guessing this is due to the pan law selected? I feel that a pan law which guarantees the same volume when each channel is hard panned would be more appropriate for this sort of plugin tbh.

Cheers! :)

Couple things I was wondering .

It has retrigger and it has beat sync...but is there a way to have both ?....I guess sorta like portamento or whatever the term would be called in this case ?
Also what is "note". In the sync options ?...

Oh and also some way to remind or let us know what has been routed to the lfo ..as far as I can see the only way to tell is by opening each parameters oscilloscope tab and looking at it to see if anything is active.

Jakob / Cableguys wrote:
TheoM wrote:Do current filtershaper 2 users also get the free update? This is looking fantastic guys :tu:
Glad you like it! It will be free for everyone who purchases the Cableguys Bundle or FilterShaper 2 until the release of FilterShaper 3. (Note that the Bundle is currently 20% off!)

For older users, we will have an upgrade price. It'll be a fair one!
So the bundle is currently 20% off and current bundle owners don't get a free update? just want to clarify.

A few more things on the new beta:

- It's hard to match Hertz LFO speeds between LFOs; it would be useful to be able to enter that numerically. Agreed that it's hard to read that tiny text!

- No Env Copy on the intensity and speed LFO's?

- Sometimes I wanted to run two parameters from the same LFO. This is where the old mod matrix makes more sense than copy/pasting/divisor-select.

- I'm not sure why the Beat synced LFO's can't be altered by the Speed LFO's. It would be simpler to set up some synced effects; maybe there could be a rule that the Speed LFO's get reset on the bar, and/or a selectable number of bars; that would make it possible to do some beat based speed alteration without throwing the notion of beat sync out.

- The color scheme is better. I'd still like to see the modulations clearer in the round control windows, especially the smaller Pan and Volume knobs.

- Bug: can't seem to paste Filter 1 Res LFO1 to LFO 2. Filter 2 works.

- Still not happy with the Beat Sync selections: where's 5/8, 7/8, 9/8... 5/4, 7/4, 9/4... 5 bars... etc...

- Might be useful to know which envelope we're looking at by name on the wide screen LFO editor.

That's it for now...

Hey all, thanks a lot for all your new feedback - we really appreciate it!

So we are back coding, and I know that most feedback goes to the GUI, but I guess it's time to address sound too for a bit. So today it's all tweaking of the Envelope Follower..

Well and I am not sure yet if we should keep the "Resonance Distortion" or join it with the "Drive" control. It's somehow a decision I am postponing for quite a bit already.. it only got harder, because I think that some of the presets of Konrad rely on separate control for both.

By the way, you should check out Konrad's presets, I find them very amazing and creative!

I am glad that no bugs came up with the new OS X installer - if you got any issues with it, let us know! We tested different OS X versions, but there's so many possibilities with regard to admin rights, etc..

Concerning some of the GUI feedback: We can only address a certain amount of things with each beta update. There's more on our TODO list, and if I find the time, I will answer to all feedback in detail. Be assured, no feedback is lost! We're pretty careful with our lists here..

I can see that some people love the new layout, others find it too 3d-ish? We tried to find a good balance between a reduced look and some shading - I find the new version much easier to look at than version 2. Concerning contrasts with the red in the knobs and the parameter modulation within the small knobs - we will improve that a bit more, just haven't found the time yet.

I don't have any issue with the red colour choice (love the red), but one thing that I've learned while making my skin for Zebralette is that it's better to either work from the start with a colour everyone can see or really increase the contrast. So I think it would be a good idea to have an alternative GUI version tailored to the colour blind persons - replace the red with blue or something similar. There's enough space on the GUI for a GUI knob that will alow changing the skin with one click, and would we really awesome if you'd manage to make (in the near future) the GUI skinnable - so anyone would be able to change the colour scheme according to their preferences and/or even come up with a different layout. Just a thought ;)
TELURICA - "Made In ___ [INSERT LOCATION]" - EP.
Available now on Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/telurica/sets/ma ... t-location

idfpower wrote:I don't have any issue with the red colour choice (love the red), but one thing that I've learned while making my skin for Zebralette is that it's better to either work from the start with a colour everyone can see or really increase the contrast. So I think it would be a good idea to have an alternative GUI version tailored to the colour blind persons - replace the red with blue or something similar. There's enough space on the GUI for a GUI knob that will alow changing the skin with one click, and would we really awesome if you'd manage to make (in the near future) the GUI skinnable - so anyone would be able to change the colour scheme according to their preferences and/or even come up with a different layout. Just a thought ;)
Yes, we've put that request in the feature wishlist!

Well, I am not a fan of skin-able software.. but I agree with the color choice.. I guess we can easily add a "contrast" or "colour" slider - it would not change graphics, but it would change the color of the parameters, of the waveform and of the knob's rings.

.. and we make sure that the colour slider isn't red!

It looks like that one problem was solved with the new Logic 10..0.5. update, you maybe remember the problem with opening the screen behind the plugin, played with the Logic update yesterday and it never happened again, nice, off to download the beta2….

By the way, when i upload my presets which image format can i upload because every time i do i got a message that my image is corrupt…

Frank
Voice, sample and factory content developer Particular-Sound / Facebook / Soundcloud

Return to “Effects”