Prophet 12 module

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Just found out about this and while I wish it was at least $200-300 less expensive, I have to say I'm kind of intrigued. I'll have to look into this some more, and it may be that it just makes more sense to have the actual keyboard version (more knobs, etc.) but the rack version is very tempting.

Here's a link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szoXrBuf ... Jcyb6A-1ZQ
Available on iTunes, Amazon, etc.

Agreed about your price comment. This new interface looks easy to use but I think most people would pay the extra $800 for the keyboard and knobs. If someone specifically needs something compact or rackmountable, this could be a great option.

Terrible, terrible, terrible design.

Who wants all that power with that little knobbage.

Meh.

tehlord wrote:Terrible, terrible, terrible design.

Meh.
it's perfectly fine for patch creation IMO. For performance use your own knobby midi controller of choice. You'll be needing a controller anyway unless you plan to play it via telekinesis.

as for price;; well buying new I guess in this price range the diminutive size & portability factor might have to be a specific requirement to warrant buying one over the keyboard. I imagine that's a pretty decent demograph worth catering to, I see DSI stuff in live rigs all the time these days so the pros obviously dig the sound and build quality. What excites me most though is in a couple years time when this module surfaces on the used market @ ~40% discount, then it will be a tough decision to choose between keyboard or rack {assuming you're looking for the p12 sound}... especially considering that besides the obvious price difference there will be savings on shipping too, considerable savings depending on your location.

I can see myself buying one of these puppies in a few years time :)

ChiTown24 wrote:

Meh.
it's perfectly fine for patch creation IMO. For performance use your own knobby midi controller of choice. You'll be needing a controller anyway unless you plan to play it via telekinesis.

as for price;; well buying new I guess in this price range the diminutive size & portability factor might have to be a specific requirement to warrant buying one over the keyboard. I imagine that's a pretty decent demograph worth catering to, I see DSI stuff in live rigs all the time these days so the pros obviously dig the sound and build quality. What excites me most though is in a couple years time when this module surfaces on the used market @ ~40% discount, then it will be a tough decision to choose between keyboard or rack {assuming you're looking for the p12 sound}... especially considering that besides the obvious price difference there will be savings on shipping too, considerable savings depending on your location.

I can see myself buying one of these puppies in a few years time :)
Got to agree with tehlord on this one...the 12 is such a good analog but with a module version with minimal knobs I can't get excited really...I would pay extra for the key version personally,I like the look however

I would tend to agree regarding the knobs and now I'm thinking this is one synth to save up for and go the whole hog (including the postage) - meaning, just get the keyboard version. Still, it seems that the way the module is implemented it doesn't seem to be too bad.

ChiTown24 wrote:it's perfectly fine for patch creation IMO.
Agreed. When they're logically lain out, such as with the Moog Little Phatty, the Studio Electronics ATC-1, and apparently this Prophet 12 Module, I actually find them faster to get around on and less confusing than something that has tons of dual-function or triple-function knobs, such as the Alesis Andromeda. You just need to be more deliberate with what you're doing and there's a lot less twiddle-till-it-sounds-cool going on.

Well, I have to say... your prices are really good, Uncle E! I think I know where I'll go when the time comes to pick this up. :)

Sequent wrote:Well, I have to say... your prices are really good, Uncle E! I think I know where I'll go when the time comes to pick this up. :)
Thank you! :)

PM me for a pre-order discount. ;)

I love the way he just shoves them into the rucksack :lol:

whats the UK price on these?

Looks pretty cool. I never liked the sound in any demos I heard but that looks like a big improvement on the Tetra interface. I hope that soundtower don't do the editor as the tetra one is buggy as hell and soundtower support is crap!
Massive, Serum. Diva, Repro-1, HIVE, Spire presets, Reason ReFills more! https://NewLoops.com

I find myself using the macro knobs as much as the real knobs on the P12. It's not such a big loss as you'd think. The OLED is awesome. FWIW, I can navigate around the P12 faster than I can on the Elektron A4.

The P12 sounds fantastic in person. Ballsy and alive. A little like the Evolver, YouTube doesn't do it justice. Gotta hear it for yourself.
11, 418th in line to the KVR throne

Total Want
Aiynzahev-sounds
Sound Designer - Soundsets for Pigments, Repro, Diva, Virus TI, Nord Lead 4, Serum, DUNE2, Spire, and others

Meh.
I think it has the capacity to be very quick to use, actually. Press a button of any given module and get taken to the screen which shows the values. Then edit the value with an encoder. I prefer this design to the 'matrix' style editing (like on DSI's own Mono Evolver module, for example).

The P12 module approach also reminds me a bit of the Ensoniq ESQ-1:

http://www.synthfind.com/wp-content/upl ... /esq13.jpg
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
3D/5D sound design since 2012

Kriminal wrote:I love the way he just shoves them into the rucksack :lol:

whats the UK price on these?
According to Thomann UK:

£1,646.79/€1,975 :shock:
Wavetables for DUNE2/3, Blofeld, IL Harmor, Hive and Serum etc: http://charlesdickens.neocities.org/
£10 for lifetime updates including wavetable editor for Windows.

Music: https://soundcloud.com/markholt

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”