Best Service Engine users?

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Their current sale has me looking at three things. Two are for Kontakt and one uses Engine. (If I get all three, it would be stupid for me not to get a fourth since its a BOGO sale). Anyway, the screen shots make Engine look nice and clean and in some ways, even preferable to Kontakt. But I know nothing about it and wonder if some of you that use it have any reviews/opinions on it?

Especially if you own both Kontakt and Engine.

I know this must have been discussed before but the only thing I'm finding in search is about new releases in it and something about having to have Independance (Yellow Tools?) to build patches, (which I'm reading now).

I own a couple of Tari's libraries which are on Engine, BBFG#, and find the interface similar to Kontakt.....different but similar. I have found it easy to use.

As for learning curve, I think no worse, or better, than Kontakt. If you like to tweak they are similar. I'm not much of a tweaker but have found it easy to make changes when I do need to tweak something. But this will depend on the library too and how it is set up.

I am not on the most current update, can't say which it is at the moment as I am not at my DAW puter. I have found it to be quite stable on my system.

The one complaint many users have expressed is the font size.....can you say IKM ST2? I think, not sure, they addressed this issue in the update.

Others may differ but I don't think you can go wrong if you find some libraries you like. There is not presently a lot out there....at least that I may be interested in. What there is is quality instruments....again, similar to Kontakt.

I'm not completely sure about building your own libraries but I seem to recall folders for user patches....I may be confusing this with the original Yellow Tools interface.

BTW - Tari's latest library is back on Kontakt. I'm not sure what that means but I seem to recall he stated this newest creation required Kontakt but he has not abandoned Engine and will produce more on that platform.

You may want to consider downloading first. I don't know if this is a free player but here's a link to the latest version:
http://www.bestservice.de/en/downloads.html

HTH

Happy Musiking!
dsan

Downloaded Engine, will check it out tomorrow. Thanks for the suggestion. Too bad not all of Eduardo's sets are Kontakt, I'm only looking at his Desert Winds.

How'd ya make out BBFG#?

Hope all went well for you.

Happy Musiking!
dsan
My DAW System:
W7, i5, x64, 8Gb Ram, Edirol FA-101

dsan@mail.com wrote:How'd ya make out BBFG#?

Hope all went well for you.

Happy Musiking!
dsan
Haha! I had a backload of installs to do yesterday and somehow completely forgot to install Engine! Fortunately the sale is going on through to the first week of January.

Plus while updating Guitar Rig yesterday, there was a 'blip' in the server (theirs or mine I'm not sure) but now I have to redownload the whole Rig and do a clean install of it. I also installed Kinetic Metal and never even got to try it out. The holidays put me behind in so many ways!

I find the patch browsing a bit clunky compared to Kontakt but besides that Engine is okay. It does the job, it delivers the sound!

I tried Engine out, decided against it. The GUI reminded me too much of Magix and the fonts are very small (seems even smaller than SampleTank?) And there is only one library I was looking at for it. Just seems to detract from the flow instead of adding to it.

Thanks for everyone's input!

For anyone who likes free stuff and not aquainted with this, it is worth a look.
It's free and has a selection of commercial banks for it but there are about 8 free banks that I've found for it so far. And it loads any old Independence Free banks you might have.

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”