What is KVR Audio? | Submit News | Advertise | Developer Account

Options (Affects News & Product results only):

Format:
Include:
Quick Search KVR

"Quick Search" KVR Audio's Product Database, News Items, Developer Listings, Forum Topics and videos here. For advanced Product Database searching please use the full product search. For the forum you can use the phpBB forum search.

To utilize the power of Google you can use the integrated Google Site Search.

Products 0

Developers 0

News 0

Forum 0

Videos 0

Search  

brainwox bx_limiter - i have seen the light...

VST, AU, etc. plug-in Virtual Effects discussion

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

KVRian

771 posts since 19 May, 2011, from North Carolina

Postby JoeCat; Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:59 am

Since I'm not producing professionally I've shied away from "pro" audio products - not because I didn't see the value, just because I don't have the self-control to spend as much on, say, a limiter (when I already have my DAW's built-in, a few freebies, etc.), when I could purchase some cool synth I don't need...

However, I bit the bullet and picked up the bx_limiter - on sale just today for over $100 off at plugin-alliance for their x-mas day of the month - given the necessity of a good track / stem limiter (I already have Ozone on the master, one of my only other nods to pro products).

Holy crap - you don't know what you've been missing until you have it. Especially for those of us messing with transient-heavy electronic kits, modular mayhem, etc.,

I'm trying hard to hear some unwanted distortion in the the 5db-6db extra headroom this thing is giving me, but no go. NOW I know what "transparent" really means. It's like I've been spending the last few years painting with awesome paints and a shitty brush. Plus, it comes with a little bx_saturation built-in for a little pleasant (or un-pleasant) coloring, should you desire it.

Of course there are other great pro limiters out there and I don't know enough to compare, but for $50 (normally $166!), I'm guessing this is a ridiculous bargain, especially given its utility and brainwork solid rep.

https://plugin-alliance.com/en/xmasc.html?door=22
KVRian

1032 posts since 3 Aug, 2005, from Chicago

Postby heffus; Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:42 am

I agree, it's a really handy plug. I use it all the time to keep my kicks and bass lines loud without dominating the mix.
KVRist

430 posts since 13 May, 2004

Postby rasmusklump; Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:06 am

Yep, its also great that it has so little latency.

Alex
Shy
KVRAF

4806 posts since 26 Jun, 2004

Postby Shy; Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:26 am

JoeCat wrote:Holy crap - you don't know what you've been missing until you have it. Especially for those of us messing with transient-heavy electronic kits, modular mayhem, etc.

I'm one of those. FG-X is much better, try it if you have an iLok.
"Music is spiritual. The music business is not." - Claudio Monteverdi
KVRist

444 posts since 3 Dec, 2011

Postby waltercruz; Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:02 pm

Sorry if my question is a bit naive, but there's some advantage in this limiter against, by example, my DAW limiter?
KVR/eSoundz: waltercruz
My soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/waltercruz
KVRAF

18803 posts since 4 Sep, 2001, from Melbourne Australia

Postby TheoM; Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:11 pm

Shy wrote:
JoeCat wrote:Holy crap - you don't know what you've been missing until you have it. Especially for those of us messing with transient-heavy electronic kits, modular mayhem, etc.

No way. BX Limiter is a track limiter not a master limiter. I'd use it for individual stems over FGX any day, especially with the only 1ms latency at 44.1 and the Xl feature as well as wet/dry.
"Just call me shitload, cause I own a shitload of plugins!"
KVRian

1436 posts since 28 Dec, 2007

Postby analoguesamples909; Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:40 pm

I just saw this also and have to say - its a cool plug...little bit of saturation - limiting - and you can back it up with the mix knob...

question is - how much do people use limiters on channels? Is this a reasonable idea? I dont want to spend money for the sake of it...
Shy
KVRAF

4806 posts since 26 Jun, 2004

Postby Shy; Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:52 pm

TheoM wrote:
Shy wrote:

No way. BX Limiter is a track limiter not a master limiter. I'd use it for individual stems over FGX any day, especially with the only 1ms latency at 44.1 and the Xl feature as well as wet/dry.

For me it's yes way, because when I reach the point of limiting or compressing a track, I render it, anyway, so I don't care whether during real-time usage the limiter has latency, high CPU resource requirements or other real-time usage limitations (and I use a hardware limiter, not FG-X, so it's a single instance limitation).

analoguesamples909 wrote:question is - how much do people use limiters on channels? Is this a reasonable idea? I dont want to spend money for the sake of it...

How much do YOU use limiters on channels? :)
"Music is spiritual. The music business is not." - Claudio Monteverdi
KVRAF

2744 posts since 29 Jun, 2011

Postby Aiynzahev; Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:16 pm

I agree, I don't use it that often but when I do I am always impressed by how good it sounds. I don't use it on the master because I have XL_2 and Pro-L

A number of times I've tried using it on individual channels and stems but limiting on channels is a bit too heavy handed for my tastes.

In theory it can work especially in this case because of the mix-knob and the excellent saturation. But I've yet to find the balance of it and make it part of my production.

It probably beats most free or DAW limiters so for $50 it is a very good deal. all the BX plugins are really good Imo.
Aiynzahev-sounds
Resonance Sound
Sound Designer - Soundsets for Spire, Zebra2, Massive, DIVA, Sylenth and others
KVRian

1436 posts since 28 Dec, 2007

Postby analoguesamples909; Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:25 pm

Argh I dont know if Ill use it because Ive not had anything similar...and I got a day to decide. tbh Im tempted to leave it because Im concerned about squashing the life out of my mixes...

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Effects