Help with nanoKONTROL2 workflow and leds

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

In an attempt to swiftly toggle between using transport/mixer and controlling plugins in the same session (by the way, If anyone has any good tips on this approach I'd be glad to hear) I tried to ditch the mackie control mode completely and add nanokontrol2 as a generic remote device in Cubase 5.

The thing is, I have trouble making the transport and solo/mute buttons leds work properly, meaning changes in solo/mute and transport buttons in Cubase don’t reflect into those in the nanokontrol2 leds which isn’t a problem when using the Mackie Control protocol. Furthermore the “play” button led stays on even after the “stop” button gets pressed which is problematic. How can I have it going off as soon as I press “stop”? I am setting the button led as “toggle” so it stays on… but I am missing the “set it off when the other button gets pressed” part…
I tried setting leds to "External" which then receive the right position from Cubase i.e if I press play in Cubase the led goes on but then it doesn't work properly (it doesn't switch on) when I press the play button at the nanokontrol. It feels like it's either one way or another.

As far as I know, nanokontrol2 supports midi feedback and the leds work with no problem in mackie mode as I've said so there must be a way I can make them work properly when it is set as a generic remote device as well. I suppose it's a matter of correct settings combinations both at “Cubase generic remote” section and within the “KontrolEditor” so I'd really appreciate it if you could lend a hand or maybe even share a perfectly functioning template. Thanks a lot!

I wish I could help, but I don't have my Nano any more and never got the LEDs to work when I was using it in Acid Pro. :( :(

You might try also posting this on the Cubase board, just in case.

Best of luck! You're WAY beyond what I was doing with mine!
Bandcamp: https://suitcaseoflizards.bandcamp.com/
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN4kuy ... Dx4ziLn3ng
Now a Relay Radio DJ! http:/www.relay-radio.com

It's alright mate. I've already posted on the Cubase board (*quiet crickets chirping*) and many other places to no avail. I am either missing something completely obvious or just asking for something too demanding/crazy but I really don't feel like that.

All I am asking is to be able to work in a project, taking advantage of the nano's transport/marker/cycle buttons (and on a lesser note, the mixer faders) and when I encounter a situation where I want to control a vst instrument/plugin with midi cc, be able to swiftly turn into a mode where I could do that only to efficiently return to the original state (transport) and so on... I can send different settings for each occasion on the fly using the KorgEditor (set up and enable files with cubase/mackie mode and then some midi cc sets) so why not? That's all, am I really asking too much? I mean, how does everyone else use their nanokontrol then? Just as a transport button deck? :)

aeropuzzle, did you hold the set marker and rew buttons on the nano while
plugging in the usb cable from your computer, then remote devices, add mackie control?

Thanks for the reply bill45, do you have a nanokontrol2 by the way?
Yes, I am doing that. My problem has never been setting up the nano properly and/or utilizing mackie control. All good on that aspect.
The problems are:

*Finding an ideal approach to take advantage BOTH of a proper mixer/transport control environment (mackie control does that well) AND controlling vst synths/plugin parameters in the same session. Not necessarily set up in the same nano "scene" per se (I could do with sending a different scene on the fly with the KontrolEditor) but not like..."gee, for this session for the next hour I ll work exclusively EITHER with mixer/transport settings OR with the ability to send midi cc to control plugins" either. Does that make sense?

*Failing to somehow filter out/disable the mackie control musical/pitch midi messages and keep the control ones only without having to untick the “Include in All MIDI Inputs” check box for Nanokontrol2 within Cubase midi ports as a potential solution (and then have to re-tick...and so on).

*Not being able to make the leds work properly (see my original post) when I add the nano as "generic remote device" and not as "mackie control" in order to take advantage of the midi cc plugin controlling capabilities as well.

I have nano control 2. you could get a second nano control for the plugins.

Yeah well, I was hoping to be able to work without buying a second one...
There must be a way, at the very least, to make the leds function properly was it is added as a "generic remote device".

Updating my own thread by saying that if anyone, ever, has similar needs/problems with nanoKONTROL2 (or simply wants to go deeper when it comes to extending the abilities of any midi controller in general) the solution is an application called
Bome’s Midi Translator Pro.
This thing is simply amazing...
http://www.bome.com/products/miditranslator/overview

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”