Who has push?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Push

GC has them in stock, 15% off and 12mo financing. I've kept my eyes open for a while on this but didn't feel like comitting back when it came out (plus you couldn't get one ;) ) There is likely not going to be a better deal than this.

Is there anything that is really frustrating or tedious with push or have they ironed out most of the stuff?

Bonus stupid question: can it be or is anyone using it with studio one? (which I use about 30% of the time)
Last edited by hibidy on Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Push is great for getting initial ideas down, but I don't use it much at the arrangement stage other than to add instruments and effects. Push doesn't really work that well with 3rd party instruments and effects although there are some work arounds.

I think Push is amazing for playing like an instrument. Load up a piano or synth, select a scale, and bang away on the pads creating melodies, chords, baselines, etc. This is the part of Push that I enjoy the most.

Step sequencing with Push is cool too, but it's not as captivating for me. I do wish Push would remember what scale a clip is in, and hopefully they will add that. Overall I think Push is a great buy if you have the extra cash.
Bitwig Certified Trainer

Interesting. I do mostly use 3rd party stuff like battery 4 or SSD. I guess I'm not futzed about manipulating those plugs inside of push as much as I'd use it for launching/recording clips, quantizing parts, tempo and swing.

Does push offer a way to stop a clip (random off the top of my head question)? The launchpad wont stop a clip that I can tell unless you change scenes. Might be a dumb question but had to ask.

For stuff like bass, I'd mostly just use the impulse but the controls aspect would be from push.

I think it's still ableton only really.
At best it would be just another midi controller with no labels with a 3rd party DAW.

The sonicstate review is probably worth checking.
I'm tired of being insane. I'm going outsane for some fresh air.

hibidy wrote:Interesting. I do mostly use 3rd party stuff like battery 4 or SSD. I guess I'm not futzed about manipulating those plugs inside of push as much as I'd use it for launching/recording clips, quantizing parts, tempo and swing.

Does push offer a way to stop a clip (random off the top of my head question)? The launchpad wont stop a clip that I can tell unless you change scenes. Might be a dumb question but had to ask.

For stuff like bass, I'd mostly just use the impulse but the controls aspect would be from push.
You can stop clips.

And as for 3rd party instruments and effects you can put them in a rack so you can select them via Push, and then use macros to control via Push.
Bitwig Certified Trainer

Push is also a natively supported controller for Numerology. I'm seriously considering one for both Live 9 and N4, but haven't bit the bullet yet.
Seasoned IT vet, Mac user, and lover of music. Always learning.

I just turned my livid base in for a push (its in the mail).
I just came across the "AudioModder VST Bridge for Ableton Push"(http://www.audiomodder.com/collections/ ... vst-bridge) that lets you control Machine/Komplete with push and makes all the NI drums into drum racks. I'm goint to down load it when my Push comes.

I'll post my opinions on it when i get my hands on it.

hibidy wrote:GC has them in stock, 15% off and 12mo financing. I've kept my eyes open for a while on this but didn't feel like comitting back when it came out (plus you couldn't get one ;) ) There is likely not going to be a better deal than this.

Is there anything that is really frustrating or tedious with push or have they ironed out most of the stuff?

Bonus stupid question: can it be or is anyone using it with studio one? (which I use about 30% of the time)

Love to get one.

Is that the really cool black ableton one?

Can you use it with Studio One? Bonus!

Not sure what I'd do with it. Make some music.

Hmmmmmm. I'm starting to get the impression that it's not quite what I'm looking for. Looks like all the controls are mostly for using a drum rack you set up (or a preset) and wouldn't be ideal for using for something like SSD or battery4. I don't know where I got the impression that it was a launchpad on steroids.

They have been cheaper, ~450usd. Also check out the native kontrol scripts. PXT-Live adds a ton of extra features, though I dont use it that often. However PXT-General lets you use it in any host, it gives you all the same playability and what not that you can do in ableton

So I can vouch that it does work with studio one when using pxt-general as thats what Ive used it with. However I usually just use it as a keyboard basically and havent tried any of the extra stuff that even general can do. Some nice things it does add though is modwheel support which is sorely lacking in the standard scripts. You can also have it auto-add notes when you play, so have it automatically play +7 to whatever your doing.
Last edited by ezelkow1 on Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

I appreciate all the info so far guys!

I am very happy with my Push... Had it for some months now.

I use it for playing, for creating quick clip variations, for parameter sequencing...

It is good for clip launching and stopping, adding tracks and playing parts...

It is fast and fun and playing is expressive with a nice sensitive feel to the pads.

Thanks.

I gotta go to the store, when I get back, I'll try to give my dream scenario, in writing, with what I'd hope to gain with push (good luck with that hibidy! :lol: )

I think I better sleep on it before posing some of those questions and cruise the ableton forum some more (thanks to someone for posting that link through PM)

What my real concern has become since the idea kinda struck me earlier (which btw I was in SHOCK that they finally have them in stock locally) is I want to make my ableton experience sharper w/o so many "this's" and "that's" for getting the metronome on, swing, tap tempo, etc. I want to be able to use push in place of the impulse for things like drums with the hopes that the pads are "maschinish" feeling. I grow weary of tapping out drums on the impulse and using maschine is just a pain in ableton.

I wanted to take advantage of clip length, quantize and navigation which would help my workflow but working outside of the "racks" I'm not sure about that. More research later, again, all info appreciated and welcome.

I has Push! :P

I really like it. I find myself just interacting with it instead of the computer. Before I actually got it, I figured yeah right, I'm not going to navigate menus and add devices using those LCD displays. But they really did engineer a fast, convenient, and easy to use system which just lures you in to start interacting with it.

All the things you described- swing, tempo, navigation, quantize, play/stop/record, etc. are really basic and simple to do. Its so fluid to add new devices, step sequence or play and record new parts, quantize and trim them, record automation, combine clips into new scenes, and trigger a whole performance. The only part which I had felt was lacking before was the absence of a melodic note step sequencer, but now they've added that as well.

In general, non-Ableton devices don't seem to expose their parameters to be controlled with Push. If I remember correctly, I'm pretty sure Valhalla VintageVerb does, so it is possible. I guess if you have certain plugins you use a lot and want certain parameters controlled by Push, you'd only have to set up macros for that once. I haven't looked at some of the other tools mentioned here, so I'll be running off to look at those now too. Also, remember that there is the "User" mode of Push, which turns it into a basic, dumb MIDI controller. Cycling74 has a whole series of tutorials on M4L interfacing with Push, and I was really impressed with some of the tutorial projects they created. I think its a safe bet that third party support for Push will continue to grow.

I'm just getting into some of the iPad control apps for Ableton, and I'm curious to see what I can do with the combination of that and Push. Dual controllers!
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”