Can't Steinberg just be honest?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Did it occur to anyone that after years of complaints from people - many here - that you had to pay to demo Cubase, as in buying a dongle, and that (afaict) the demo of
Essentials without a dongle is relatively new, that their thinking might be somewhere along those lines, that they did that in response to some of those complaints?

Demoing Cubase (or PT) is only free if you already have a dongle.

It almost seems to me (not being a big Steiny fan myself) that people actively look for new things to complain about. I'm sure in their mind the marketing is somehow related to that, the regular comments like... "I'm not going to pay to demo anything." ... as relates to buying a dongle.

I still don't think that justifies the language in the advertising. If the language clearly states that it's "free", then I would expect it to not be a time limited demo.

They could advertise it as a 30 day demo with no requirement for a dongle rather than just say it's free and not qualify that in any way.

I didn't justify it, I don't actually care either way, read my post again.

I only asked if that occurred to anyone else. Apparently not, since nobody mentioned it and some keep asserting that all demos are free, when they actually aren't if you don't own a dongle and it requires a dongle.

Things like this don't happen in a vacuum. It's a cause and effect thing, the cause being the complaints about the demo not being free. At worst, it's maybe poor wording, but everyone familar with Steinberg would immediately know it's not free, since Steinberg doesn't ever give away usable DAW software ... except maybe bundled with hardware.

Much ado about nothing imo. But a good kickoff to the new forum design, to get the KVR Host Forum (a.k.a. "Complaint Central") rolling again. :)

Not making an argument at all. Just wondering, who are we protecting? People who can't read the English words on the page the link goes to? At worst, someone would lose 5 seconds of their life to click the link and Meffy and company makes a few pennies.

I didn't say you justified it - I meant that even if it was a change in policy it didn't justify it on the part of Steinberg.

Definitely poor wording, but I smell advertising spin rather than innocent mistake.

I'm happy for KVR to make the advertising revenue, but my comments are more around this being a bad idea on the part of Steinberg. I'd rather hear the truth from companies any day.

Compyfox wrote:..........

I am also surprised that suddenly a lot(!) of users with very old accounts and barely any post count crawl out of each dustry corner on KVR and be like "I don't have this issue - I don't understand your point".

I am even more surprised that you are allowed to go into every single Steinberg related thread on kvr and say the same thing over and over and over.... and from those threads I have seen, it is mostly about issues that affect you and very few if anyone else.....
worse, one user who disagreed with you, with proof, got seemed to have gotten banned for daring to disagree with you.... as you go from thread to thread to thread.

Apologies to the OP.......

I keep looking at the banner for the advert, no such luck so far :-)
rsp
sound sculptist

Compyfox wrote:I am also surprised that suddenly a lot(!) of users with very old accounts and barely any post count crawl out of each dustry corner on KVR and be like "I don't have this issue - I don't understand your point".
Not as surprising as seeing you repeating "Cubase is broken" for five years but never giving up using Cubase.

'Free with purchase' is really really common in sales and marketing these days everywhere it seems.. some people like to think they got something for nothing when, in reality, they bought a bundle and actually thus paid for those 'free' items.

That said, stating free then pointing you to a 30 day trial is rather cheap.. above the normal level of cheapness (which is high) I see in marketing..

I wonder how many people continue forth with the 30 day trial and how many decide not to bother with it after those shenanigans.. :?:

the free stands for free not to use it. :hihi:
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

LawrenceF wrote:Demoing Cubase (or PT) is only free if you already have a dongle.
Not quite.
Cubase Elements is the only Cubase demo version that doesn't need the infamous USB key solution. Then there is Cubase AI/LE, bundled with magazines (15EUR usually). If you want to test Artist/Full - then you need the USB key solution.

I also just checked the Steinberg page, and it clearly states among Trial:
Try Cubase Elements 7 now for free
Now you can try Cubase Elements 7 for 30 days without any limitations!
No false advertisement right there. At least IMO.

I use an ad-blocker, haven't seen the alleged "free Cubase" banner. But I've seen other "try free" banners on KVR. In Fullscreen background, horizontal and also to the right in vertical mode. I've yet to understand all the fuzz.

zvenx wrote:I am even more surprised that you are allowed to go into every single Steinberg related thread on kvr and say the same thing over and over and over.... and from those threads I have seen, it is mostly about issues that affect you and very few if anyone else.....
I made an example how outrageous it is to heavily critisize a company that allegedly does "false advertisement", while the company currently still suffers from a very pissed off userbase with their broken/disimproved main DAW's.

I may be a minority in here, but there is definitely no silence about Nuendo 6 and Cubase 7's problems at the major music related boards and the board of the developer himself.

Heck, even my persistent bugging towards Steinberg resulted in a fix of an issue they haven't seen prior to C7.5. And that is the "high ASIO load while cloning plugins" issue. It is fixed in C7.5, will be further enhanced with 7.5.1, and (according to support) adressed with 7.07.

So my so called "whining" actually improved things for other users. So thanks for your time. :tu:

zvenx wrote:worse, one user who disagreed with you, with proof, got seemed to have gotten banned for daring to disagree with you.... as you go from thread to thread to thread.
The user in question got temp banned for active trolling, violation of the board rules and personal insults (defamation). He even went as far as created a "joke account" to continue that game - the mods went easy on him since he has a dev subboard in here.

End of story.

standalone wrote:Not as surprising as seeing you repeating "Cubase is broken" for five years but never giving up using Cubase.
I never said anything as drastic about C5 or C6 - other than heavily critisizing C6.5's upgrade politics (and I lived fine with C6 until the release of C7.0). So the "repeating for five years" doesn't really work. Sorry to disappoint you and cut the wind from your sail.

I also mentioned over and over why I continue to use this spaghetti code. But it's good to find something to go off about. Which brings me to the final quote:

LawrenceF wrote:It almost seems to me (not being a big Steiny fan myself) that people actively look for new things to complain about. I'm sure in their mind the marketing is somehow related to that, the regular comments like... "I'm not going to pay to demo anything." ... as relates to buying a dongle.
That, and people constantly thinking that longtime users talk out of their rear end. Not pointing at anyone in particular here - you know who you are.

[/end of line]
Said what I wanted to say.

[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”