V-Machine

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Before i take the plunge, did anyone tried it with the korg ms20 vsti AND the ms20 midi controller? Does it recognize those two? If anyone can confirm that, and reports the experience, that would be the last push i would need to get a V-machine. Thx...
It's not what you use, it's how you use it...

If the MS20 controller is MIDI class-compliant and requires no drivers, it will work.

Controllers that need special drivers will NOT work with the V-Machine

the software, I have no idea. I would download the V-Machine software and try it ( it will work without the hardware V-Machine attached )
I'm the best you can get, have you guessed me yet? I'm the slime oozing out from your TV set.

http://gearstation.com.au/products/sm-v ... are-player

Apparently they're clearing them out to make room for new hardware mid next year... Hey, even Duke Nukem Forever got released, eventually.

gmeredith wrote: Again, please don't think I'm saying you don't have a reason to complain about the v-machine - about what it claimed it can do, and what it really CAN do. I agree (although not experienced any of the problems myself). But I just wanted to show a v-machine success story amongst all of the problems raised here - so that you can at least know, that running it in a certain way will give the results claimed, and maybe that will help someone wanting to use it in the same manner that I do.

Cheers, Graham
Hi Graham,

It's great you have had success with using the V-Machine. But it seems to me, that a product that will only work for some users, and only after a long time of experimenting, tweaking, programming, writing of wizard files etc. is not really useful for a hard working musician, and should not be marketed as such. I have basically wasted one month of my time trying to get the V-Machine to work, and have been severely reprimanded by my employer for this time waste. I have now been forced to make an investement in a different solution. I tour 10 months a year, and would have liked to use the V-Machine to save some space and weight in my luggage. But I don't have that kind of time to "nerd around" with just one piece of equipment, the music should be my main concern. So I cannot in any way argue with my employer, he is absolutely right. I only wish I had known beforehand, that it was not a "plug-and-play" piece of equipment. It looked so amazing in the ad...

The only thing I wanted to do, was to run 2-3 VSTi's (and NOT simultaneously), maybe together with a VST for reverb also. I got one VSTi to work, VB3, but organ is my secondary concern. My primary concern was Lounge Lizard EP, but I have given up. I submitted 3 tickets, no answer. I tried to contact the vendor, they referred me back to SM Pro Audio's website. I tried writing to customer support twice, no anwer. Today I finally received an email from SM Pro Audio: They offered to sell me a V-Machine! :-/
:-)

bentstavanger wrote: Today I finally received an email from SM Pro Audio: They offered to sell me a V-Machine! :-/
Update: I answered the email, saying I never got the one I bought in the first place to work. So they asked about the details, and all of a sudden one of the tickets got a reply. I was sent a new "certificate" file for the V-Machine. Great! Only it didn't work. So I informed them of this, but have not received an anwer yet. Still Lounge Lizard will not run.

Thus, my opinion of the V-Machine continues to be the same: Great idea, but only interesting for someone with lots of time on their hands. Programming, experimenting, reading, writing back and forth with customer support (and lots of waiting), is to be expected. For someone who needs to go on stage NOW with something that works NOW, so they can play music NOW, it is not an option. And I am very sorry I didn't know this before I wasted so much time... :-/

I have just bought a V-Machine (from Thomann, indicated from the SM Pro Audio website for Europe) and I am having some trouble, but the Helpsite from SM Pro Audio is down. It says "Kayako has disappeared" or something similar. Furthermore, the SM Pro Audio site says that they will not answer enquiries about V-Machine support elsewhere than the help forum (which has disappeared).

The problems I am having seem familiar for people in this (very long) thread, but I have not managed to locate a solution to them given the disappearance of the SM Pro Audio help center.

1. I cannot access the Menu. I press the keys but I get a message saying "V-Machine version 1.0 2008". I press the keys to access the options but the machine gets stuck in the "V-Machine version" text unless I press one of the panic buttons (thus exiting the menu). I imagine with the firmware update this would be solved, but
2. I connect the V-Machine to the computer (and the PC -Windows 7- recognises it) but VFX does not recognise it and thus I dare not update the firmware.

Can anybody help me with this? (Anybody has downloaded the firmware and know of a procedure to install through USB)

MickRolland wrote:Can anybody help me with this?
Be prepared to spend at lot of time getting the V-Machine to work... Or send it back to Thomann! :bang:

MickRolland wrote:I imagine with the firmware update this would be solved, but
2. I connect the V-Machine to the computer (and the PC -Windows 7- recognises it) but VFX does not recognise it and thus I dare not update the firmware.

Can anybody help me with this? (Anybody has downloaded the firmware and know of a procedure to install through USB)
Yep, it's a shame that there's no dedicated support forum anymore

I can help since I know the V-Machine quite well. To do a firmware upggrade you first on have to launch VFX (V-Machine not yet connected), then click on the small white vfx icon at the top left of VFX and in the upcoming menu then choose "V-MACHINE -> Update V-MACHINE Firmware". Then VFX will tell you step by step what to do.

Also note that you need to have the newest version of VFX installed to upgrade the V-Machine to the newest firmware since the firmware is built-in in the VFX application:
http://www.smproaudio.com/index.php/en/ ... -downloads

Btw, the V-Machine currently is available for quite a crazy deal (don't know how long), $159 (so about 114 Euros) including shipping:
http://gearstation.com.au/products/sm-v ... are-player

I probably will order a backup device from there since this really is a steal...

SFZ+ doesn't work on the v-machine, but it does on vfx… Anybody around using sfz? do I need to set any special parameters to make it work?

First of all, I kinda get how this work and this is my first problem so far with the v-machine… I do the wipe and re import plugin each time, vfx copies all the soundfonts on C:\SfzSamples dir to the library, so they're there! but then on the v-machine it keeps loading and loading and loading forever… please could someone help me out?

Does anyone know how to add a transpose function to any MIDI VSTs please? I have a V-Machine and want to be able to transpose the piano (for example, Truepianos Lite). I downloaded ndcMIDI, but I don't get how to add a parameter to a piano and transfer it to the vmachine.

Hope someone can help, thank you in advance!!

You can transpose directly within VFX software. See the SPLIT/TR frame to the right of A/B/C plugin slot.

or just transpose directly within the plugin and save different presets for each transposition.

i.e. PIANO -1, PIANO -2, PIANO +2 or PIANO C flat, etc...
I'm the best you can get, have you guessed me yet? I'm the slime oozing out from your TV set.

Thank you both so much for the really quick responses, that's really helpful! It's also a great idea to save the different presets, seeing that they don't take up much space. The only other issue I have is that I was able to get a dll called MIDI transpose working (which would be even more ideal), but the VMachine defaults to changing values in a way I don't want it to (e.g. it goes up every odd semitone (e.g. +1, +3, +5, +7, +9) and down every even semi tone (-2, -4, -6, -8). Do you know if it's possible to change the values it defaults to, so that I can simply change by 1 number at a time (+1, +2, +3, -1, -2, -3 etc).

Hope that makes sense! And thank you again for the advice!!!

Why not just use the transposing facility of the VFX software as I mentioned above?

I have done for one piano, which is a great idea, it would just be even better if I could set all my instruments up with a transposing facility (by adding the transpose dll to each vst instrument), rather than having to create presets for each one. As a workaround though, the other way is fantastic and I do very much appreciate your help. I love this machine, despite its shortcomings.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”