Sometimes you gotta go there to come back...

Discussion about: tracktion.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

A little late to the party but it's good to be home. After a few years of Logic and Studio one, on a whim I felt the urge to retry Tracktion. Within a half hour I'd laid down a great track, and was thoroughly reacquainted with per-clip fades and per-clip filters, still the best bounce in place rendering and so on. So, upgraded my licence to v4 for the pittance it cost and spent a few hours reorganising my apple loops into a semblance of order in the browser.

Feels good to be using T4 again, although there are still a few unexplained crashes (no warning, Tracktion just disappears on the mac without a shutdown dialog or explanation in the log file). Also, there are a few Mackie remnants in there, such as rack filters which reference plugins that no longer bundle with t4.

Now, T5 is around the corner, I heard January. I'm sure the build is pretty much done, but there are a few suggestions I'd like to make.

1. Tidy up the rack filter presets - no more redundant racks which try to load a mackie plugin.
2. A few selected rack filter presets for the common tasks such as sidechaining and multi-output/multitimbral plugs. Perhaps it would help if those rack presets auto dry/wet levelled for the send and return tracks - maybe by being able to select a 'send instance' and a 'return instance' in the rack dialog (so, rather than a single 'drag this to insert' filter there was a choice of two)?
3. The ability to organise out filters as we would like. For example, not just by type or manufacturer, but being able to add our own metadata column in the plugin settings and organise by that? I'd like to organise synths by sonic type (subtractive, physical, FM, additive etc), effects by type (FSU, modulation, compression, mastering etc).
4. Non-destructive audio editing functions
5. Copy/paste automation settings, perhaps also an 'automation presets' folder where we can save certain envelopes (akin to a permanent clipboard, perhaps it's just me but there are certain standard automation events that I use regularly and it would save having to redraw them each time).
6. Now this is a little pipedream of mine, but I think it would be great if T5 could take a small gif or icon of the plugin interface and draw that on the track filters. That way, it would be cool to 'see the chain' of plugins and effects as icons rather than the green arrow shapes with a name in them. A little bit like the icons of logic, or the finder mini-previews seen above the dock on OSX, tailored to each individual plug. Once the filter is dragged to the track and the plugin GUI loads, a miniature icon of the same appears where the filter exists on the track timeline. Anyway, I can dream.....
7. A true mac fullscreen option.

Anyway, looking forward to T5 and thanks for rescuing it from Mackie hell!
11, 418th in line to the KVR throne

:clap: +1

additional suggestions:
- automatic slicing of audio via transient detection
- improved Tracktion Filters (better reverb etc.)
- melodyne-like pitch audio editing OR ARA Integration

That´s all folks. :D
Lost in Music...

midi ghost clips

And MIDI input filters while we're at it. I used to use Niall's MIDI transpose all the time, but it's PPC only. A MIDI arpeggiator would be nice, but for now I'd settle for a proper MIDI transpose on the channel strip.

danbroad wrote:And MIDI input filters while we're at it. I used to use Niall's MIDI transpose all the time, but it's PPC only. A MIDI arpeggiator would be nice, but for now I'd settle for a proper MIDI transpose on the channel strip.
Quite a few people were asking for a "record what you hear" option, so the idea of "pre-input" filters was mooted. I suspect T5 will feature something along these lines.
ABLETON LIVE 12 & PUSH2
Soundcloud: Nation of Korea vs Shitty Dog

danbroad wrote: I'd settle for a proper MIDI transpose on the channel strip.
The Tracktion Pitch Filter already does this. When fed audio, it pitch shifts, when fed midi, it transposes. Just drop it in front of the synth you're using.

+1 for request #3.

Would also love to be able to drag fx into parent folder tracks.

I'd still love live recording visual preview, and fully implemented pdc. :)

bk wrote:
The Tracktion Pitch Filter already does this. When fed audio, it pitch shifts, when fed midi, it transposes. Just drop it in front of the synth you're using.
I would never have thought to try that, so I'm really grateful for this info.

DaveL
You can twist perceptions, reality won't budge.
-- Rush Show Don't Tell

...likewise. Not an obvious place to look, and my last Tracktion days I used the midi plugins. Nice tip!

The more I use it, the more I think the whole side chaining filter rack needs some attention. Insert this, return that, dry this, wet that... there must be a simpler way.

Anyway, any news on T5 pre-NAMM... just, you know, to whet the whistle of the T4 forumites? I've licences going back to V1 if it helps swing a secret or two!

DaveL60 wrote:
bk wrote:
I would never have thought to try that, so I'm really grateful for this info.
No problem. It is an unusual solution, but once you know it, it makes perfect sense.

bk wrote:
This one has been around a long time, since V1 perhaps? Maybe V2. Almost 10 years. It is surprising how many folks don't know this one.

rockstar_not wrote:This one has been around a long time, since V1 perhaps? Maybe V2. Almost 10 years. It is surprising how many folks don't know this one.
Yep. It's not what most people expect, though. You'd normally expect separate tools for those two functions. It's one of Tracktion's quirks.

Return to “Tracktion”