Cableguys FilterShaper 3 Public Beta! Features and pre-sale

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
FilterShaper

Xenox.AFL wrote:It looks like that one problem was solved with the new Logic 10..0.5. update, you maybe remember the problem with opening the screen behind the plugin, played with the Logic update yesterday and it never happened again, nice, off to download the beta2….

By the way, when i upload my presets which image format can i upload because every time i do i got a message that my image is corrupt…

Frank
Thanks for the news about Logic! Ha, I know it's not us who do the bugs.. (just kidding.)

We've tested the image upload with png and jpeg, but it should work for gif and maybe some others too. But the code used here is pretty standard.. could be that it is pretty picky when there is something non-conforming with the image.

Jakob / Cableguys wrote:Well, I am not a fan of skin-able software.. but I agree with the color choice.. I guess we can easily add a "contrast" or "colour" slider - it would not change graphics, but it would change the color of the parameters, of the waveform and of the knob's rings.
Well you could add both a contrast and a colour slider and you won't have to deal with graphics complaints anymore ;) That would actually be very neat :)
TELURICA - "Made In ___ [INSERT LOCATION]" - EP.
Available now on Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/telurica/sets/ma ... t-location

Jakob / Cableguys wrote:
Xenox.AFL wrote:It looks like that one problem was solved with the new Logic 10..0.5. update, you maybe remember the problem with opening the screen behind the plugin, played with the Logic update yesterday and it never happened again, nice, off to download the beta2….

By the way, when i upload my presets which image format can i upload because every time i do i got a message that my image is corrupt…

Frank
Thanks for the news about Logic! Ha, I know it's not us who do the bugs.. (just kidding.)

We've tested the image upload with png and jpeg, but it should work for gif and maybe some others too. But the code used here is pretty standard.. could be that it is pretty picky when there is something non-conforming with the image.
HM, don't know, it's not working, it stopped uploading my presets with the message that my picture is corrupt, which is the max. size of the picture....! The rest is okay to me... Filtershaper looks good and is useable, but i miss something outstanding...? Something which is mindblowing, at the moment it's just a new better version which combines filter and volume shaper into one plugin with some great filters, but i'm using other filterplugs which were as good as this one, so there is not really a reason for new costumer to buy this thing....

Whatever, just what i thought when i played with this baby...

Frank
Voice, sample and factory content developer Particular-Sound / Facebook / Soundcloud

Xenox.AFL wrote:HM, don't know, it's not working, it stopped uploading my presets with the message that my picture is corrupt, which is the max. size of the picture....! The rest is okay to me... Filtershaper looks good and is useable, but i miss something outstanding...? Something which is mindblowing, at the moment it's just a new better version which combines filter and volume shaper into one plugin with some great filters, but i'm using other filterplugs which were as good as this one, so there is not really a reason for new costumer to buy this thing....

Whatever, just what i thought when i played with this baby...

Frank
So you cannot upload any more? Can you try to remove the image and upload then?

I am sorry to hear that you're missing something outstanding. If you're after a good sounding filter with standard LFOs only, there are other choices too of course.

I tried to remove the picture several times without any luck… :(

About the Plugin, don't get me wrong, the filter's are of course good, the way how i can use the filter with the points in the envelope is unique and something i never saw before i first saw a cableguys plugin, but, personally I miss something more, one nice feature which is mind-blowing…!

For me it's a nice step to make volume shaper, which i use very often, and filter shaper into one plugin, that's cool, only 1 plugin for both effects with a new, fresher GUI, that's all okay, but nothing i would spend again 69€….!

Frank
Voice, sample and factory content developer Particular-Sound / Facebook / Soundcloud

Xenox.AFL wrote:I tried to remove the picture several times without any luck…
Hi Frank, I just changed the server code to simply ignore images that cannot be handled, instead of giving an error. Would be great if you can try to sync again?

Jakob / Cableguys wrote:
Xenox.AFL wrote:I tried to remove the picture several times without any luck…
Hi Frank, I just changed the server code to simply ignore images that cannot be handled, instead of giving an error. Would be great if you can try to sync again?
Yep, worked, thanks, except the picture, but the upload worked fine…!

Frank

We've just updated to beta 3 - now with a huuuuge waveform editing area and huge oscilloscope.

Also, we've added a hold parameter for the Envelope Follower and changed its peak detection a bit (so current presets might sound slightly changed, but the change should not be too big). Still more tuning to do for the Envelope Follower.

Links:
FilterShaper 3 page
Windows Download
Mac Download

Beta 3:

- Despite the changes for the better, I still have some issues with visibility: the moving LFO graphics are still not clear on the small knobs. For those seeking ultimate visibility, maybe an "Ease of Access" mode in reverse coloring should be made available. Here's a test for visibility: open the GUI against the white backbround of a windows explorer window.

- The moving graphics in the knobs might benefit by a static vertical line down the middle to indicate "now". That would increase their usefulness.

- The HUGE editor is nice, but again it would be useful to have the name of the parameter shown to indicate exactly what is being edited. I still think it would be more useful to have it available as an extension of the regular GUI or in an extra window, non-collapsing and always showing the last envelope edited.

- The Hold control on the EF does the trick! It's totally useable now, though I could see a much longer Attack and Decay for some less rhythmic uses (it's not all about pop and edm!). An overall multiplier might be the easy way to implement longer envelopes.

- I also wish the EF could go deeper in intensity: the trigger source isn't always loud in enough to create a control swing to open the filter as much as I'd like it to. I suggest 200% as a better max value, though more might be necessary: this will become even more important if you ever implement an input filter to the EF.

- Idea: imagine if you added delay and cross-delay lines to the soup... ;)

Thanks!

Hey guys, just wanted to kick off this thread again for the new year. I notice we're now at Beta 5? :)

A major change in the recent betas is the ability to link multiple envelopes. I think this works really well with only one point worth making; it's impossible to see a matrix view (similar to FilterShaper2) of where everything is routed.

All of the other issues I mentioned previously haven't changed state. The filter cutoff range being my biggest gripe.

- I notice the range of the Cutoff knobs is 50 Hz - 18 KHz instead of the extended 20 Hz - 20 kHz. Any reason that this is limited? Even at the lowest cutoff, bass is still coming through which means that sweeps won't be completely able to vanish when the cutoff is all the way down. Similarly for the upper limit.
- Is there any way to choose what grid the snap is set for?
- Combining the two drive knobs on the filters would probably be a good idea as I do find the current implementation a little confusing to work with.
- I found myself constantly clicking the preset name in the top middle of the plugin and expecting the preset browser to pop up. Not sure, but should the preset browser pop up when clicking on the preset name?
- I think the filter selection menu probably should have some extra height below the last filter for neatness.
- The ability to link both filters would be great for multiband sidechain effects using the 6db/oct filters as a crossover.
- It seems the double clicking to add a soft/hard point is a little touchy, the point is not drawn until you release the mouse button.
- BUG: Open the plugin and hit the New button. Now hover over the Filter 1 Cutoff knob and notice that the border no longer appears around it.

Hey! Sorry for not answering before.. well the forum was offline for sooooo long which was quite a bad timing for us.

Anyway, the next beta is coming tomorrow, Saturday, with a massive update - from your list at least filters can be linked then, which is a pretty good thing, and, uhm, FilterShaper's color will be orange then.. we got convinced that red is not always easily readable.. thank to Breeze for insisting here!

Concerning modulation overview: What should be shown here? Each parameter has its own dedicated LFOs..

Jakob / Cableguys wrote:Hey! Sorry for not answering before.. well the forum was offline for sooooo long which was quite a bad timing for us.

Anyway, the next beta is coming tomorrow, Saturday, with a massive update - from your list at least filters can be linked then, which is a pretty good thing, and, uhm, FilterShaper's color will be orange then.. we got convinced that red is not always easily readable.. thank to Breeze for insisting here!

Concerning modulation overview: What should be shown here? Each parameter has its own dedicated LFOs..
Hey Jacob, thanks for your reply and Happy New Year! :)

I'm not quite sure how a modulation matrix would appear in this case since as you also said; the LFOs don't really have a unique number per se as they are associated to an arbitrary parameter.

I'll think about this a little further and see if I can come up with any ideas.

One thing I will ask once again (last time, promise) is please please please PLEASE extend the cutoff range to cover the entire frequency range. PLLLEEAAASSSSSSEEE :)

Thanks heaps for your help.

soundpalace wrote:Hey Jacob, thanks for your reply and Happy New Year! :)

I'm not quite sure how a modulation matrix would appear in this case since as you also said; the LFOs don't really have a unique number per se as they are associated to an arbitrary parameter.

I'll think about this a little further and see if I can come up with any ideas.

One thing I will ask once again (last time, promise) is please please please PLEASE extend the cutoff range to cover the entire frequency range. PLLLEEAAASSSSSSEEE :)

Thanks heaps for your help.
Happy New Year to you too!

I can see that one feels lost in the beginning without the good old modulation matrix. But I am pretty sure, after bit of time you won't miss it.. And we also show for each parameter its modulation inline the knob, which gives a pretty good overview of what is currently happening to the sound.

Also, if two LFOs are connected, we'll show its connections when you mouse over the "Disconnect" button of a connected LFO. But: Never say never, everything can always be improved.. so yes, if you got ideas here, they're always very welcome!

To the cutoff range: If you use the filters at their current maximum of 18 kHz you'll hardly hear a difference to being bypassed. For going below 50 Hz.. well I can well understand that wish. Currently the cutoff covers 8.5 octaves (from 50-100 Hz, 100-200, ..), and each octave has an equal share. If we'd go from 20 Hz to 20 kHz that would mean 10 octaves, which would allow for less room for each of them.. so that's the main reason for limiting them.

Awesome work so far. FilterShaper is really turing out to be an amazing tool.

Is there anyway you can make the beta function more normally for those of us who have purchased? It's really not awesome to have to reload a patch every time we close and open a project :)
Bitwig Certified Trainer

billcarroll wrote:Awesome work so far. FilterShaper is really turing out to be an amazing tool.

Is there anyway you can make the beta function more normally for those of us who have purchased? It's really not awesome to have to reload a patch every time we close and open a project :)
Yes, but it holds you back from using it in a project at this point.. the sound could still change until release.

Although it's unlikely that there'll still be any fundamental changes.. we'll think about making full version beta licenses available before the official release!

Return to “Effects”