Which physical object sends random vibrations?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

It should be similar to resonant bandpass filtered white noise.

No, not even close. Look into the chaos oscillator stuff and you'll see it's quite different. The waveform does have a specific frequency, but it contains a lot of harmonics which would not be present in a filtered signal. Also look at avalanche reverse-breakdown and the random ramp waveforms (very similar) generated that way.

The whistle mentioned in the linked article is going to exhibit a waveform similar to that due to pressure built up by turbulence being suddenly released.

Regardless, you're not going to find a reliable way to trigger this sort of motion and the thought you might is honestly ridiculous.

Instead, you can drive a motor or if you're really completely insane you can attempt to control the shape of the physical result using a servo. One servo you might be familiar with is also known as a "speaker".

You can purchase both of these for a few dollars and drive them with any signal you like.

For example if you need very high frequency low-distortion output you can build your own "candle tweeter", a plasma-arc transducer with its plasma generated reliably by a candle. Of course you have to avoid blowing out the candle and use of paper or other flammable cones is not recommended :hihi:

If you want bandpass filtered noise get an air pump and a flue pipe.
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.
Work less; get more done.

aciddose wrote:If you want bandpass filtered noise get an air pump and a flute pipe.
I meant it should sound like bowed string and not blown pipe.

How about using resonant bandpass filtered white noise?
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

What you seem to describe does not exist. Any physical object will have one or more resonant peaks. These are a function of its dimensions and material properties. You cannot beat physics.

HTBoogie wrote:Any physical object will have one or more resonant peaks. These are a function of its dimensions and material properties. You cannot beat physics.
You mean when the harmonics have frequencies too close to each other. it starts to sound like all resonances has their own volume LFO.

I believe you're describing a tuning fork....
(bing)

ImageImageImageImage

Or you could just hang up a windchime.

vurt wrote:
Frantz wrote:Monkeys are physical objects that do an excellent job of randomly vibrating cymbals.

dont kick a chimp in the nuts though, hell eat your face!
Better stay away from him /
He'll rip your lungs out, Jim!

I want the harmonics that appears after you have hit the cymbal with fingernails should sustain forever instead of decaying into silence.

Jedinhopy wrote:I want the harmonics that appears after you have hit the cymbal with fingernails should sustain forever instead of decaying into silence.
Tough. :party:
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

Jedinhopy wrote:I want the harmonics that appears after you have hit the cymbal with fingernails should sustain forever instead of decaying into silence.

keep hitting it forever then :shrug:

Make a tricky loop with the decay!

Jedinhopy wrote:
aciddose wrote:If you want bandpass filtered noise get an air pump and a flute pipe.
I meant it should sound like bowed string and not blown pipe.
Why edit my post to say "flute" when I clearly said "flue" ? They are not the same thing!
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.
Work less; get more done.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”