Recommendations for best iOS DAW?

For iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod), Android, Windows Phone, etc. App and Hardware talk
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I don't use Loopy often, but it has always been a very useful app. Just recently mapped my FCB1010 to it, and also a bluetooth computer keyboard.

Loopy is for me necessary when I want to record a single drum pattern. There is MIDI clock sync, and the drum pattern records exactly as desired into Loopy. One single pattern with precise beginning and end. Then I can copy that into the iPad DAW and duplicate. Theoretically this should be possible with the DAW alone and punch out point and clock sync, but in reality it isn't. I still have to do the workaround using Loopy.

Auria has MIDI clock and MIDI MTC (MIDI Time Code). Which is quite unique, I don't know any app with MTC. Also it supports the Mackie Control protocol including parameter feedback. I've tested these features, and it works as with regular DAW's on a computer. Auria is for professional use, no doubt about it. MIDI tracks are in development for a future update.

But there are other good DAW apps. I just think Auria is the most sophisticated, featuring 3rd party plugins of rather high quality (PSP, Fabfilter, etc.). And the PSP channel strip is integrated (as well as a convolution reverb and a delay), these are not IAP (in-app purchase). Not to forget, editable automation of all parameters and AAF import/export for exchange with Logic, Nuendo, etc.

IMO, which ios daw will work best for you will depend on your intended workflow.

Do you plan to a) sequence whole tunes on the ipad or b) just create loops that get exported into your computer daw?

If a) then the comprehensive daws that are like computer daws might be best - cubasis, auria

If b) multitrack daw might be a good fit (audio only), or just port audio directly out of the ipad to your computer daw and don't bother with an ios daw

I'll share my experience in case there's some overlap with what you're looking for.

When I first got the ipad I hadn't fully thought through what kind of workflow I wanted. :-)

In working on the ios platform for a couple of months, I've at least figured out that I'll only use ios for a scratch pad. So then the problem for me became: What's the best set up to sketch out rough ideas that then get ported over to my computer daw?

I sketch things out in beatmaker and sometimes just directly port audio into the computer. I really like beatmaker's workflow. I tend to use external apps to sequence synths (thesys, arpeggionome) and then capture the audio in beatmaker. Multitrack daw also has a place in my workflow. It's audio only, very stripped down, has excellent export capabilities, and also has a very fast workflow.

I don't want to give the impression that I've tried to assemble the very best tools. I've been very strategic in my purchases and most of what I have I've gotten on sale (for example, the reason I'm using beatmaker instead one of the big daws like cubasis is I bought it for some ridiculously cheap amount like $5). I'm too cheap to pay 20 or 30 bucks for an ios app. :-)

HTH

Ecamburn, thanks for some really good insight. I started with a few apps on the old ipad, and it seemed like a toy because they weren't integrated. Now it's like hey, I've got audiobus and audiocopy so all these things can work together. Then i got Samplr which lets me record from other apps, but it isn't really a daw replacement. Then again, I'm not really looking to replace my PC DAW. So this would be used as a multitrack scratch pad to play around with while I'm away from the PC. That all means recording audio from other apps in sync, with basic editing capabilities.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

deastman wrote:recording audio from other apps in sync
this I'm curious about. One thing that gets a bit tedious with me with IOS is that you're constantly exiting apps, hooking them up together, connecting their inputs and outputs, etc. I'm curious if there's less of that with daws like auria and cubasis . Recording output from multiple apps at a time in sync would kind of imply that.

Yes, well, the whole sync issue is part of what I'm asking about. I could just stick with garage band for multitrack recording of its editing wasn't locked to the grid, or if it would sync. I'm not wild about spending $50 on Cubasis or Auria to find out if they actually do what I want.

Auria is capable of recording multiple apps at once through Audiobus. Probably Cubasis as well, but I don't know for sure. Audiobus is currently limited to playing three apps at once, but that will increase with the version 2 set to release this year.

IMO, one of the biggest issues with iOS apps right now is lack of standard syncing. Lots of apps have built in sequencers and recorders, but getting these all to sync is currently difficult. Many apps don't have syncing and those that do seem to be hit or miss as to whether or not they actually work together.

One option is to use a sequencer (Genome, Beatmaker, Cubasis, etc.) and sequence all your apps that way. Then hit play and record it all in your DAW using Audiobus or IAA.

This thread is making me realize a difference in workflows between computers and ios that's been bugging, but that I never really full thought through.

On the computer, I never record more than one track at once. So I wouldn't really expect or miss having that capability on ios.

However, on the computer once you've loaded a plugin synth on to a track it stays there until you delete it. You end up with a bunch of synths that are connected to your project that are there every time you open the project up. Obviously this has the advantage of being able to go back record new parts using the same synth patches, tweak synth patches, etc.

My experience with ios, is that recording tracks is basically a one off activity because you usually have to make audio connections through audiobus and those connections don't persist. Given this, I tend to just record audio from a synth into an ios daw then dump the synth. The workflow very much reminds me my workflow from the midi 80s - CZ-101 and Roland drum box into a 4 track cassette recorder. :-) Not bad, just different.

But do these more full featured daws like auria and cubasis operate more like computer daws?

hi,
all the above...
+
tabletop (is a great daw as well)
and the korg synths (iPolysix, iMS 20)
...not the best counts,
what you do with it is what makes the difference.
one way or the other you have to hook up to you laptop or desktop if you want to work with more software. personaly i think that one can produce very well on the ipad...
and what i've seen, the air is even getting closer to the mobile studio.
enjoy being

I vote for Cubasis...it is definitely worth the extra money in my opinion.

I was so torn on which DAW to go for, so I figured I would take advantage of my jailbreak and try out some unauthorized free trials, if you know what I mean. I'm not advocating pirating at all, but with such pricey apps that are all wonderful, I needed to find the one that fit my needs and way of working.
Most of the apps can do virtually everything the others do, it's just all about the interface and what you focus on as a musician. After spending time with all of them, I had no problems paying the money for Cubasis and I deleted any apps attained via nefarious methods.

I don't use loops or electronic stuff much, so many of the other apps weren't ideal, but I'm sure they would be the better choice for some folks. Playing around with those apps has perked my interest in using such methods, but it still sorta feel like cheating. For me, Cubasis is the best experience when recording and editing audio on my device and the ease of jumping on my desktop when more detailed manipulation is necessary is wonderful.

Try not to do what we (many of us) did by buying all of them, and every synth. If you can keep your choices limited, you might stand a chance of doing more writing and recording, and less patch foraging.

I still use Garageband frequently just for inspiration, and just plain fun jamming. I also use it to practice guitar and bass playing. (I'm just a drummer really)
Multitrack Daw is great for tracking external audio as well as multiple Audiobus instruments. Auria is awesome for mixing/mastering.
Note: Auria does support control surfaces and has "in app purchases" from Fabfilter and PSP.
"All generalizations are false".
"Don't quantize me bro"!

The whole in app purchase thing kind of rubs me the wrong way. Its basically a way of luring you in with a low price, only to find they've withheld half the functionality, and then you have to keep paying.

I think I'm going to start with Loopy since its cheap, and if that isn't enough of a scratchpad for me, pick up Cubasis later... Hopefully on sale!

Agree with you about the IAP's, but in Auria's case, the channel strip provided is very capable and nothing is really "needed".
It is nice to have additional options like the Pro-Q etc. to make some repetitive eq-ing tasks much faster.
Currently Auria is suffering somewhat by Apple's iOS 7. The waveform view is sluggish now, but there is an update on the way. This gets frustrating on long sessions.
"Don't quantize me bro"!

I second what martygras said. The initial purchase of Auria is already a very nice, productive DAW. It contains EQ, Compressor, Reverb, Delay, etc. I don't feel they held back functionality. The IAPs are great additions to what is already there. Many of the IAPs give you better control, more in-depth options, and additional information from what Auria's initial purchase provides. Most would agree the IAPs are highly recommended, but you still have great functionality available in the base purchase.

deastman wrote:The whole in app purchase thing kind of rubs me the wrong way. Its basically a way of luring you in with a low price, only to find they've withheld half the functionality, and then you have to keep paying.

I think I'm going to start with Loopy since its cheap, and if that isn't enough of a scratchpad for me, pick up Cubasis later... Hopefully on sale!
I have LoopyHD because I've used hardware loopers for years, but I'll be damned if I can get a handle on that app. It's a great app from what I've read on the Loopy forum, but it's just not for my way of thinking.
I want it to start recording the audio as soon as it senses an audio signal above a certain threshold, but it don't... I want my loops for live use, at the tempo of my choosing, not the other way around where it's all set up ahead of time.
"Don't quantize me bro"!

I agree that LoopyHD still has room for improvement. Particularly the absence of triggering recording from an audio level. The record length all stems from however long your first recording is, and then every subsequent recording is going to be some multiple or division of that length. That's how it keeps everything in sync. That works fine for me, but I can understand why it might not be ideal for your workflow. At any rate, I'm having a lot of fun with it!

Return to “Mobile Apps and Hardware”