What is KVR Audio? | Submit News | Advertise | Developer Account

Options (Affects News & Product results only):

Format:
Include:
Quick Search KVR

"Quick Search" KVR Audio's Product Database, News Items, Developer Listings, Forum Topics and videos here. For advanced Product Database searching please use the full product search. For the forum you can use the phpBB forum search.

To utilize the power of Google you can use the integrated Google Site Search.

Products 0

Developers 0

News 0

Forum 0

Videos 0

Search  

Differences between Arturia Analog lab nad Analog laboratory?

VST, AU, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

KVRian

1493 posts since 26 Sep, 2004

Postby Gucky; Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:55 am

Can anaybody tell me what the differences are?
So far as I cann see is one difference that the Analog lab has some hundreds more presets. On the other hand when I read this forum I see that the Analog lab seems to be not very stable.
Is the Analog laboratory more stable?
What product should I buy?
KVRist

186 posts since 22 Dec, 2011

Postby jdoo; Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:59 am

I've been using the Laboratory for around a year, and picked up the Lab few weeks ago. Both integrate well with my Arturia Laboratory 61 keyboard (hardware controller I really like). The Lab has more sounds and a few more capabilities which I posted my thoughts on in this thread: http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 91#5382791

Bottom line for me... The new features in the Lab which i spent the $20 upgrade for... are too CPU-intensive to be of practical use for me (without resorting to workarounds). YMMV

Re: stability. I haven't had problems with crashing or stability when using the Laboratory/Lab versions of Arturia synths. The full blown version of SEM caused me some grief last year..
KVRian

1493 posts since 26 Sep, 2004

Postby Gucky; Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:07 pm

Hi jdoo,
many thanks for your answer.
I have now Analog lab. I like some of the sounds very much.
So far it does not crash.
But I have the problem that the volume level of the presets is very different for me. Some presets are much to loud and I mean to hear distortions.
I lower then the level on Cubase so that Cubase cannot make the distortion effect but I hear it also.
Can it be that some presets are programmed with a too big synth volume so that the distortion comes from the Analog lab?
Has anybody the same effect?
KVRist

Postby jdoo; Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:47 am

On some patches I get a lot of distortion as well. Typically though.. I can see the Arturia synth pegging my cpu in Logic Pro. Which synth presets are giving you problems? You shouldn't hear crackling or noise, on any patch..

cheers-

j
KVRist

50 posts since 24 Jan, 2012

Postby Ariel s; Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:24 pm Re: Differences between Arturia Analog lab nad Analog labora

Hello everyone.
So, half a year passed since this thread was open, and it seems that Arturia sell the Analog Laboratory (.i.e the older inferior product) at higher price than the newer and superior Analog Lab. 99 for the former vs 89 for the last.
What's going on there? Am I missing something?
KVRist

50 posts since 24 Jan, 2012

Postby Ariel s; Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:50 pm Re: Differences between Arturia Analog lab nad Analog labora

No one?
KVRist

Postby jdoo; Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:12 pm Re: Differences between Arturia Analog lab nad Analog labora

I'll reply. :)

After spending more time than I care to recall, trying to get Analog Lab to quit pegging my Mac, I gave up on it. The patches that I liked the most, are just too cpu intensive to get any real use out of em. My Laboratory was upgraded to Lab, and somehow Arturia pulled my license from their on-line scheme (probably fair, as I *did* upgrade it to the Lab) - however, what little use I had for the software... I was getting more out of the Laboratory than Lab.
/Ramble mode off

All-in-all - the Laboratory and Lab have hundreds (thousands) of presets. I shared my feelings about them in the linked post above, back in June of 2013. Bottom line for me -- the Lab wasn't worth the $19 I paid for upgrading my Laboratory. On any day -- I would rate the u-he stuff a LOT more usable, and the Korg soft synths as well.
KVRAF

8008 posts since 11 Aug, 2008, from Alto Icon

Postby Aloysius; Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:17 pm Re: Differences between Arturia Analog lab nad Analog labora

jdoo wrote: the Lab wasn't worth the $19 I paid for upgrading my Laboratory.

+1 Unusable in any practical sense on my system.
Putting the yes back in terday
KVRist

270 posts since 2 Jul, 2007

Postby trusampler; Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:40 pm Re: Differences between Arturia Analog lab nad Analog labora

I love the Analog Lab, but I agree their are some inconsistencies with slight distortion (not the good one) and lots of volume differences when going thru patches.

Still overall,it's a fun synth,to be able to mix and match two VA/emu analogs together, lots of cool sounds to be had like this, in the what 5,000 or so patches ;) plus you can edit the synths if you own the full synths.A reaLLY good idea,but it could use a few solid updates to get down cpu and faster scrolling of presets,currently they are quite glitchy UI issues .

It'd be nice to hear from Arturia to see what if anything they are planning for it's next update.
Analog gear is like a plugin with one preset. Mix Engineer:Dave Pensado

Tools: Nektar Panorama61,Akai Mpc Ren,Maschine 2,Vsts,Samples,Apogee Rosetta200,UA Apollo.
KVRist

270 posts since 2 Jul, 2007

Postby trusampler; Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:42 pm Re: Differences between Arturia Analog lab nad Analog labora

Just had a crash in standalone.. weird, maybe Arturia didn't like my comment? lol
Analog gear is like a plugin with one preset. Mix Engineer:Dave Pensado

Tools: Nektar Panorama61,Akai Mpc Ren,Maschine 2,Vsts,Samples,Apogee Rosetta200,UA Apollo.

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Instruments