Which physical object sends random vibrations?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

OK- thanks.
I have tried that, but must never have used heavy enough pots-coz they always fry on me. Maybe I will try this again some day.

I guess the motor in case is just the kind you would get in a Tamiya model, maybe taking 3 volts usually.

I can't see the image here, nor copy it.

Yeah watch out that you use the proper rated pot. You need to be aware of how many amperes the motor can draw at maximum, usually during start up. Then you need to figure out which voltages you'll be driving it with and the wattage you need for your pot.

If the motor requires variable resistance you'll probably need a 5-watt wire-wound for reasonable size motors, minimally. If it works with only variable voltage you can drive it from a power transistor instead and use a small-signal buffer to buffer the voltage from the pot at some low current like 10ma. So, in other words build a darlington with a small-signal input and a power transistor output.
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.
Work less; get more done.

Jedinhopy wrote:The motor engine should be silent.
well thats never gonna happen, the motion of any moving parts in contact with other parts will produce friction nd therefore some noise. you can however attain "quiet". then keep the motor as far away as possiblr from the recordind device.

but i came here mainly to ask a question i know im going to regret, because you will probably answer...

my question is "why do you want to do this?"
is it somethng you actually require or is it something you want to find if its at all possible.
and can you define "forever" with a little more clarity, even the universe itself for example will eventually suffer from decay and eventually fall silent.

Thanks a bundle AD, I have filed that post.

vurt wrote:even the universe itself for example will eventually suffer from decay and eventually fall silent.
Doesn't matter to me, I'll be sipping margaritas under a palm tree in the Bahamas by the time that happens.

Wait...
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

Sendy wrote:
vurt wrote:even the universe itself for example will eventually suffer from decay and eventually fall silent.
Doesn't matter to me, I'll be sipping margaritas under a palm tree in the Bahamas by the time that happens.

Wait...

perhaps you will, but youll be doing it silently ;)

Or will it?

And if it's an infinite decay (like on my busted Casio PSS-480 keyboard) - or even a twist in the fabric of space where time becomes a loop... - then it'll never be silent.

NEVER!!!!

NEVER!!!!

NEVER!!!!

http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/mus ... 2xpqs.html

Replace the piano strings with a cymbal? ;-)

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
Sculptures ScreenDream Mastodon

vurt wrote:
Well that's never gonna happen, the motion of any moving parts in contact with other parts will produce friction and therefore some noise. you can however attain "quiet". then keep the motor as far away as possible from the recording device.
I don't think noise reduction software will remove the motor engine hum because the pitch is unstable and changes it's frequency based on how much energy is left in the battery.
If i push it toward a object. The motor engine must work harder and so the pitch changes again.

Jedinhopy wrote:
vurt wrote:
Well that's never gonna happen, the motion of any moving parts in contact with other parts will produce friction and therefore some noise. you can however attain "quiet". then keep the motor as far away as possible from the recording device.
I don't think noise reduction software will remove the motor engine hum because the pitch is unstable and changes it's frequency based on how much energy is left in the battery.
If i push it toward a object. The motor engine must work harder and so the pitch changes again.

who said anything about noise reduction software?

JJBiener wrote: The problem is that noise will not cause anything particularly metal plate to resonate. In order for something to resonate, you must subject it to a repeating waveform.
This is not quite right. If it were, we would have almost no music whatsoever.

A metal plate will absolutely resonate when subjected to random vibrations - it will vibrate at it's natural bending mode frequencies. This is why bells resonate with tonal response, even though they are struck by an impulse which has no single frequency content, but rather very broad frequency content. This is why stringed instruments respond with tonal response, when subjected to plucks, which are again like impulses, with no specific singular frequency content.

An analogy to perhaps what the OP is looking for is a shaker used for modal analysis of physical objects. Something like this: http://www.modalshop.com/excitation/25- ... ter?ID=249 These devices are connected to physical objects, then various types of vibration patterns are introduced, and using accelerometers on the device, one can determine the resonant frequencies of the object, as well as the mode shapes, or vibration patterns that result.

I used to do this for a living, for what it's worth.

As to what the OP is asking for, one could make a 'bow' from a belt with similar friction properties as rosin'ed horsehair that is in a violin bow, and drive it at a constant speed with a motor and hold it to the edge of the cymbal.

That's a whole bunch of work.

What could probably work in synthesis is to multi-sample a 'fingernail scratched cymbal', break the samples into small chunks and then use a granular synthesis technique for the 'never ending cymbal' sound.

Or white noise convolution reverb where the cymbal is the impulse response.

Connect a cymbal with a guitar amplifier...

Jedinhopy wrote:Or white noise convolution reverb where the cymbal is the impulse response.
:uhuhuh: there's no physical object involved in that.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”