Obxd synthesizer

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
OB-Xd - Virtual Analog Synthesizer

Breeze wrote: Here's a few other observations I have from fiddling with the Obxd:

- I first noticed that the main volume taper seems a bit too linear: most of the change is in the first 1/4 turn. When I found some OB-Xa patch sheets and starting entering values from it, I noticed that knobs on the obxd end up being in their lower range, sometimes within mm's of completely OFF to make sense (esp with the modulation) while the patch sheets show the controls higher up. I think there might be something off because there seems to be generalized cramping of useful values towards the beginning of the controls; of course without a real OBX in front of you it's difficult to confirm a proper behavior but IMHO I think some revue of this is necessary.

- I find the Noise source could use +3 db peak more to match the osc outputs. Peak levels match but there's quite a difference in RMS value. But maybe the current level is within the OBX spec?

- There was some discussion last year about including the additional -Xa LFO waveforms as well as an LFO re-trigger option... both of these would help make it possible to use the LFO as an additional envelope (esp Saw). I hope these aren't flushed; there's a nice spot open on the GUI for that LFO re-trigger button... ;)

- I asked this yesterday but it didn't get answered: is the LFO in the OBX series always monophonic (1 LFO for all voices)? It would be very powerful to have a separate LFO for every voice, triggered separately for every note.

- I know this is settled, but after working a while the fact that OSC 2 detunes only in a positive direction is a bit annoying when in x-mod mode and having to change OSCs Fq an octave to test... and back... the Alt control would make it possible to have the same range and resolution available over half a turn anyways... just saying...

As usual, take or leave my comments as you wish. Thanks!
Noise source knob covers ob-x && obxa buttons.
Obxa doesnt has additional lfo waveforms and lfo retrigger. Actually those feature were introduced in ob8.

OBX series never had polyphnic lfos.

Xmod is quite rarely used feature and ob-x never had a knob. Also carrier and modulator signals are reversed in obxd(to open nice chunk of sounds when both sync and xmod are used). So you will have to do fine tunings with pitch knobs anyway ( compared to ob-x).

Filter key cv with transpose behaviour is not a bug.

button animation....look ok? :?:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

Off state looks more pressed-in than on state.

IIRC on a real Oberheim the buttons didn't stay pressed in in on state - they just toggled the LED on and off. So basically off and on state are the same, except the LED turns on. There's an intermediate pressed state which you could have to tie-in the two basic off/on states.

Called a momentary switch.
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.
Work less; get more done.

Yep, that.

If you only have 2 frames leave the button in the "not pushed" state and only alter the led.
If you can have more frames try to make it behave like the real thing as ED describes.

I also don't see the shadow moving in your 2 frames.
Flavours of Lime - Tasty gui design for vst plugins.

EvilDragon wrote:Yep, that.
thanks for info about type of button. will do a momentary :wink:

oh i give up, its just gonna have to be a button where the led only changes :shrug:

What's the problem? To my eyes, the above looks like a perfectly good approximation of a working momentary button.

A minor observation: the LED is switched off on button UP but lit on button DOWN. Perhaps intentional?

Nice work.

/Joachim
If it were easy, anybody could do it!

Spitfire31 wrote:What's the problem? To my eyes, the above looks like a perfectly good approximation of a working momentary button.

A minor observation: the LED is switched off on button UP but lit on button DOWN. Perhaps intentional?

Nice work.

/Joachim
I'm guessing that's to save having two intermediate button graphics.
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

Couple I tried the other night.. The last one is actually based on a real OB-X button (needs colour correction :) ) The other 3 are different versions of a rendered source.

PAK wrote:Couple I tried the other night.. The last one is actually based on a real OB-X button (needs colour correction :) ) The other 3 are different versions of a rendered source.
I prefer layzer's gui much more. It looks like obie and layout is perfect.

But idea with a bit noisy background is good though.

2DaT wrote:I prefer layzer's gui much more. It looks like obie and layout is perfect.
But idea with a bit noisy background is good though.
I didn't continue further with the above since the real time sink is placing everything correctly and building a layout :)

However, it'd be nice if you'd consider the ability to skin the plugin. Though, as long as you don't do anything too strange, I suppose someone could replace the resources anyway.. But I'll see how much I use it and how much the present UI bothers me first :)

Edit - BTW If you did end up offering skinning then I'm happy to point anyone to the resources used if they liked the idea and wanted to clean it up and actually finish it.. :)
Last edited by PAK on Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I like it actually. The knobs look better, and the colouring is more "round" and offers more contrast. Anyway, layzer's GUI looks good also, so, happy with whatever comes along. :)

layzer wrote:Image

button animation....look ok? :?:
No animation, please. The LED's say it all, while those changing buttons only cause confusion. I hate the switches on the Minimoog emulations for instance. I never really know in which position they are.
Plus, since the top surface of the Oberheim buttons seems parallel to the GUI surface, there is no logical reason for the button surface to behave as if there were more shadow all of a sudden. That only makes sense with hinged switches like on the Minimoog.

Return to “Instruments”