Login / Register  0 items | $0.00New @ What is KVR? Submit News Advertise

need advice - apogee, motu, preamp...

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

jeffb01
KVRian

643 posts since 17 Apr, 2006

Postby jeffb01; Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:49 am need advice - apogee, motu, preamp...

my problem. I got a new computer and decided I wanted to work on music again after a hiatus. My old Apogee Duet firewire works fine but the software (maestro) won't work. There's some kind of conflict and support was not able to help - but they tried. Without Maestro, I'm unable to add phantom power to my mic.

I also have a motu ultralite (mk1) and a virus ti (though I don't think the virus has a preamp so it's out as a sound card.

I was wondering thought on quality difference between ultralite and duet for crappy vocals (no range, no high notes, etc) and my choices are:

1. use the ultralite as my sound card

2. use the apogee duet, but I would have to buy a lower end mic preamp (under $150 -used or new) If you answer 2, please give preamp suggestions.

thanks in advance.
jeffb01
KVRian

Postby jeffb01; Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:07 pm Re: need advice - apogee, motu, preamp...

bump. Maybe I should of put this in the hardware section...
SuperG
KVRist

39 posts since 14 Jun, 2011, from Edgewood, NM

Postby SuperG; Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:45 am Re: need advice - apogee, motu, preamp...

I'd use the MOTU... I don't have an Apogee, though

I have a MOTU ULtralite MKIII, works like gangbusters. Nice and clean.
jeffb01
KVRian

Postby jeffb01; Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:38 pm Re: need advice - apogee, motu, preamp...

thanks. I think that's what I'll do. I've heard that the MKIII is an improvement over the MKI... but It shouldn't matter too much...

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)