New DIVA components

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic

Which synth's components would you like to see u-he add to DIVA next?

Yamaha CS-80
25%
Oberheim OB-X
27%
Prophet 5 V2
15%
ARP 2500
8%
Synthacon Filters
1%
Roland TB-303 Filters
14%
Synthi
5%
Polyvoks
6%

Total votes: 488

RELATED
PRODUCTS

So acid it's :love:
Cs-80 is basically a "brass machine", brass keys, brass pads, brass basses, everything brass, ask Jim Brass if you don't believe me, hahah, so most likely in order to get that CS-80 sound one would need to model both oscillators and filters and maybe everything altogether, which again most likely is not worth it considering the cost of a unit and an appeal to the public.
Though I love it too, but now some sort of acid looks like an obvious choice to be added :P
Soundbanks for Serum, Bazille, Diva, lush-101, Zebra2, Monark... Here

Urs wrote:
fmr wrote:But you can, of course, allow for multiple selection in the Dual VCO, and that will do the trick
That should be possible, or am I missing something? (Dual VCO, not Dual VCO eco)

:clown:
Well, I can select more than one wave, but the result sound is not quite as I expect (when I have the saw selected and I select pulse, the sounds changes, but not as strongly as it should, IMO). But maybe it's my ears that are tricking me :?
Fernando (FMR)

Any chance of something similar to a modern poly analog like the Prophet 8 or Tetra?
You are currently reading my signature.

They're not dinosaur enough :D

Urs wrote:Well, the OB-X' VCO section doesn't exceed the Dual VCO in features, nor does it sound vastly different. The main difference are individual trimpots for tuning, and those have been in Diva since the beginning. The same can be said about the envelopes.

I think that spending time on this would only benefit our non-existant marketing department ("now with full emulation of…" :hihi: ), while the musical benefit would be in doubt. I even think that the extra choice would cause an unnecessary distraction.
After all the efforts you've put in meticulously emulating other classic synths in Diva, I'm really surprised by this answer. There is a whole vocabulary of classic analog sounds that Diva will be deprived from by this decision. OK then... off to ask when ZHZ is getting the full Uhbie VCF controls... ;)

I don't really understand your concerns. If Urs is right (which I assume), then implementing the Oberheim OSCs is - musically spoken - a waste of time and energy because listeners won't here a difference, so why will a "whole vocabulary of classic analog sounds that Diva [...] be deprived from by this decision"?

Urs wrote:Well, we timed the envelopes of our vintage synths and used that as a base. Hence I'm quite unsure what it is everyone is talking about. We replicated them as closely as we possibly could.
I also cannot follow here. It never ever crossed my mind Diva's envelopes could be too slow, and I also never heard anything in that directions from other users.

Yeah I wouldn't be surprised in a blind test, there would be people who'd find a Minimoog sound bad and a freeware softsynth sound good. Which is fine by the way, this is a matter of taste, not knowledge. Maybe it also has to do with the music style, and Diva may be too slow for modern electronic music? I don't know, I don't do dancefloor techno.

Phil999 wrote:
Urs wrote:Well, we timed the envelopes of our vintage synths and used that as a base. Hence I'm quite unsure what it is everyone is talking about. We replicated them as closely as we possibly could.
I also cannot follow here. It never ever crossed my mind Diva's envelopes could be too slow, and I also never heard anything in that directions from other users.

Yeah I wouldn't be surprised in a blind test, there would be people who'd find a Minimoog sound bad and a freeware synth sound good. Which is fine by the way, this is a matter of taste, not knowledge.
I'm no synth expert by any means, but the TAL Bassline 101 envelopes (which appear to have been very well matched to his hardware 101) feel faster than DIVA. Maybe it's just the parameter scaling throwing me off, but it's not unnoticeable.

That makes me wonder...perhaps DIVA's envelopes aren't slow at all, and maybe people just don't like the scaling on envelope controls. Not enough screen real estate being devoted to the faster side of the envelop could give the envelopes the illusion of being slower. Whereas something like Bassline 101 may have more space devoted to the faster side of things allowing for a wider, fast section, with more fine control (e.g. "faster envelopes").

Just a theory.

Is there anything currently in DIVA that would approximate a Prophet 5? Basically just similar sounding oscillators or filters (not looking for envelopes)? I voted for the Prophet 5 the first time, just curious if Urs or anyone thinks DIVA already gets close and if so, with what combination of modules.

I could see the addition of a 303 filter as a nice touch, being that there aren't any other 18db filters in DIVA and it's got such an iconic sound. Would make sense to add that one with the eventual step sequencer update.

re*MD9@3!Tm^ wrote:I don't really understand your concerns. If Urs is right (which I assume), then implementing the Oberheim OSCs is - musically spoken - a waste of time and energy because listeners won't here a difference, so why will a "whole vocabulary of classic analog sounds that Diva [...] be deprived from by this decision"?
All I can say is compare and listen. I don't want to create a controversy about it. U-he will do whatever they feel right doing. These textures, if required, will have to be obtained elsewhere. The Diva has spoken. ;)

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:I could see the addition of a 303 filter as a nice touch, being that there aren't any other 18db filters in DIVA
303 filter is NOT a 3-pole (18 dB/oct) design. That's a common misconception.

EvilDragon wrote:
Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:I could see the addition of a 303 filter as a nice touch, being that there aren't any other 18db filters in DIVA
303 filter is NOT a 3-pole (18 dB/oct) design. That's a common misconception.
Yup, it's got 10 poles, if I remember rightly.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Nope, it's a 4-pole design (in hardware). The guy just got a quite messy transfer function when he tried to put it in pole-zero form. :)

http://www.timstinchcombe.co.uk/index.php?pge=diode

The thing about the CS-80 is all that people *really* want from it is the Bladerunner brass sounds. If you could accurately emulate those, that's all you probably need imo. And it's worth considering how much of that brass sound comes from chorus and reverb.

That being said, it would be quite the PR coup to have Vangelis play his "greatest hits" on Diva. Though one might have to build a one-off Diva controller to really get his attention (Magnus Lidström from Sonic Charge was saying on Twitter that Vangelis told him he loved Synplant, but wished it came in hardware form).

EvilDragon wrote:Nope, it's a 4-pole design (in hardware). The guy just got a quite messy transfer function when he tried to put it in pole-zero form. :)

http://www.timstinchcombe.co.uk/index.php?pge=diode

That's the one ;)
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Return to “u-he”