Microkey or iRig Keys?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Any thoughts and opinions on Korg's microkey 37 and IK's iRig keys? I can't decide which one to get and there's no music store nearby that has them , so I'll have to order online. Does anyone know if there's any difference in the size of the keys or are they about the same?

Thanks!
Always look on the bright side of life

I was looking at various mini keyboards early last year. I ended up buying the iRig Keys which has been terrific. I had eventually narrowed it down to the Korg microKEY 37 and the iRig Keys. Both three octave keyboards. The Korg comes with the nice set of desktop apps (maybe it's only with the 61-key version), but I don't use my computer for music. The iRig Keys offered sustain pedal input, program change increment/decrement, and a single knob you can assign to MIDI CC. Since 90% of the time I use knobs for the cutoff filter, having just one knob, though limiting, gave me the ability to assign what I use most. And the iRig Keys also gives you four(4) save slots. I have used the saves to assign different MIDI channels so I can quickly change which synth I play. I should note, my main goal with this was to have an extremely portable solution, small enough I don't feel everyone is staring at me at Starbucks and for use with my iPad. The iRig Keys is powered by the iPad so it is all self-contained and portable. The Korg website states you need external USB power to use with the iPad.

The iRig Keys (19.8") is 2.4 inches smaller than the Korg (22.2") which may end up being difficult to fit in a backpack. Even for the iRig, I found a limited number of backpacks that can fit something 20 inches long.

Sorry, I don't know how the key sizes differ between the two models.

The items in bold above are what really set iRig Keys apart from the Korg for me, but those may not be important for your needs.

I have the iRig (but use it for laptop/desktop only). Two things to possibly consider are that if you have jampoints the irig is finally something that they can be used on (brings the price down to about $50)... the other is that the iRig's sustain input can also accept expression pedals which is kind of nice. Other than that I don't have a lot to add (though happy to answer any specific questions). Basically I'm definitely not a power user but it does work well enough for me....

I just picked up the CME Xkey. It has polyphonic aftertouch, which requires a very light touch to get the most out of. Worth checking out. Haven't used it enough to give it a full review, but I'm liking it so far.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Xkey

Another option in the newer iRig Keys Pro, which is the same size save for a bit more depth due to full sized keys. Otherwise its exactly the same as iRig Keys.
No longer with IK. Here is my Website | Twitter | YouTube | Facebook | Instagram

ObiK wrote:Another option in the newer iRig Keys Pro, which is the same size save for a bit more depth due to full sized keys.
How is it the same size? It seems larger in width, height and length.

According to the IK website:
iRig Keys - Size: 503mm/19.8" x 120mm/4.72" x 40mm/1.57" (W x L x H)
iRig Keys Pro - Size: 590mm/23.22" x 189mm/7.44" x 57mm/2.24" (W x L x H)

Feature/specs wise. Size is the obvious difference due to the full sized keys.
No longer with IK. Here is my Website | Twitter | YouTube | Facebook | Instagram

Thank you so much for the replies, everyone. That's so kind of you! The CME looks nice but I need a modwheel so I think I'll go with the iRig. I have some jampoints but I'll save them for Amplitube :D

Thanks again!
Always look on the bright side of life

audientronic wrote:I just picked up the CME Xkey. It has polyphonic aftertouch, which requires a very light touch to get the most out of. Worth checking out. Haven't used it enough to give it a full review, but I'm liking it so far.
I hate 25 key controllers. I always feel boxed in and limited to solo bass/lead lines. If they would make those mini keys instead of full size and add an octave and a half, I'd buy it instantly though.

As for the iRig key 37 and Microkey 37, I would say the difference will be the smaller size of the iRig key and it's extra knob/buttons.

I like my Microkey 61. It feels good and responded to velocity well. I wish someone would make a 45/49 mini key controller as 61 is good when you need it, but not if you want to compose in a coach/chair. I'm going to try the iRig next as it's smaller, but the Microkey feel is really nice. I like it a lot.

Here's the Microkey and iRig size comparison:

iRig Keys - Size: 503mm/19.8" x 120mm/4.72" x 40mm/1.57" (W x L x H)

Korg Microkey 37 - Size: 565mm/22.24" x 139mm/5.47" x 54mm/2.13" (W x L x H)

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”