What is KVR Audio? | Submit News | Advertise | Developer Account

Options (Affects News & Product results only):

Format:
Include:
Quick Search KVR

"Quick Search" KVR Audio's Product Database, News Items, Developer Listings, Forum Topics and videos here. For advanced Product Database searching please use the full product search. For the forum you can use the phpBB forum search.

To utilize the power of Google you can use the integrated Google Site Search.

Products 0

Developers 0

News 0

Forum 0

Videos 0

Search  

What are you watching?

If it's not about music it belongs here! Please keep it civil and decent.... except - see below->

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

KVRAF

7278 posts since 20 Nov, 2003, from Lost and Spaced

Postby osiris; Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:51 pm Re: What are you watching?

I didn't like the monster movie The Host.
I did like the book The Host, but the movie looks NOTHING about what I pictured while reading it....
Too bad. I know the Twilight lady wrote it, and it's very uneven, but at times there's some really good writing going on there.
KVRAF

4449 posts since 13 Jan, 2003, from Kent, UK

Postby GaryG; Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:05 pm Re: What are you watching?

It's not so much drama as I just prefer stuff that hits me as 'real' or plausible or, well, human. Give me the Wire over any CSI series, SGU over SG1 or SGA. Nothing wrong with it but I guess I just prefer stuff that's less escapist for some reason.

Compare the 'genocide' dilemmas in BSG and TNG. When the BSG lot got hold of a virus that could wipe the Cylons out they debated a bit but had little hesitation in deciding to use it. Whereas TNG in a similar position with the Borg rolled out the ususal (pompous?) speeches after a while then shelved the plan thereby letting the scourge of the galaxy free. Call me cynical but I reckon I know which of those two scenarios would be more likely in the real word... :)
()_()
(O.o)
(")(")
KVRAF

38497 posts since 20 Dec, 2005

Postby hibidy; Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:18 pm Re: What are you watching?

I'm going to give "helix" a look.
KVRAF

38497 posts since 20 Dec, 2005

Postby hibidy; Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:22 pm Re: What are you watching?

GaryG wrote:It's not so much drama as I just prefer stuff that hits me as 'real' or plausible or, well, human. Give me the Wire over any CSI series, SGU over SG1 or SGA. Nothing wrong with it but I guess I just prefer stuff that's less escapist for some reason.

Compare the 'genocide' dilemmas in BSG and TNG. When the BSG lot got hold of a virus that could wipe the Cylons out they debated a bit but had little hesitation in deciding to use it. Whereas TNG in a similar position with the Borg rolled out the ususal (pompous?) speeches after a while then shelved the plan thereby letting the scourge of the galaxy free. Call me cynical but I reckon I know which of those two scenarios would be more likely in the real word... :)

There is no point in TV that is "real". There is enough shitty shit in real life to watch that stuff. Not that I didn't watch SGU or BSG, but SG1 AND SGA were far better. More "us vs them" with a hopeful aspect. They were fun. If it's so involved all the time it just reminds me of what sucks. I like a fantasy aspect.
D.H. MOD

7667 posts since 20 Jun, 2008

Postby D.H. Miltz; Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:53 pm Re: What are you watching?

osiris wrote:I didn't like the monster movie The Host.
I did.

Next: Nothing But a Man.
KVRAF

18818 posts since 4 Sep, 2001, from Melbourne Australia

Postby TheoM; Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:36 pm Re: What are you watching?

D.H. Miltz wrote:
osiris wrote:I didn't like the monster movie The Host.
I did.

Next: Nothing But a Man.

Is it a foreign movie? Never seen it.
"Just call me shitload, cause I own a shitload of plugins!"
D.H. MOD

7667 posts since 20 Jun, 2008

Postby D.H. Miltz; Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:08 pm Re: What are you watching?

Which one?

The Host is Korean. Nothing But a Man is American.
KVRAF

18818 posts since 4 Sep, 2001, from Melbourne Australia

Postby TheoM; Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:04 pm Re: What are you watching?

the host
"Just call me shitload, cause I own a shitload of plugins!"
KVRAF

3442 posts since 19 Jan, 2008

Postby tapper mike; Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:11 pm Re: What are you watching?

I can only watch so much Korean movies / shows. While I love the whole espionage thing the plot gets really thin really quick (all having to do with north/south relations) The romantic comedies are borderline bollywood and the drama is practially plotless. It's like reading The Tale of Genji
KVRAF

2233 posts since 2 Jul, 2007, from Oxycontin Acres, Georgia, USA

Postby SODDI; Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:52 pm Re: What are you watching?

tapper mike wrote:I can only watch so much Korean movies / shows. While I love the whole espionage thing the plot gets really thin really quick (all having to do with north/south relations) The romantic comedies are borderline bollywood and the drama is practially plotless. It's like reading The Tale of Genji

"The Ghost of Genji's Lover" - I bought a print of it for my wife's 50th birthday because she loved the book so much.:

There is a lot more to Korean movies than just espionage and NK/SK dramas. Some of their horror movies are really frightening - "The Tale of Two Sisters", "The Red Shoes", "The Guard Post" (aka "GP506"). "Mother" is unlike anything I've ever seen, as is "I Saw The Devil". And "The Good, the Bad and the Weird" is just a lot of action-packed fun.
KVRAF

2233 posts since 2 Jul, 2007, from Oxycontin Acres, Georgia, USA

Postby SODDI; Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:55 pm Re: What are you watching?

And tonight, because some of the folks in this forum recommended it, I watched "Vanilla Sky". It was AWFUL. Some of the most contrived and unnatural dialogue delivered by the most affected acting I have ever seen.
KVRAF

3442 posts since 19 Jan, 2008

Postby tapper mike; Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:50 pm Re: What are you watching?

Re Kdrama

I loved Paradise
Hated Air City
Liked Dae Mul

What was the one about the stunt woman and the rich Macy's type store owner?

I also dislike the fantasy historical ones where someone goes back in time.
KVRAF

4449 posts since 13 Jan, 2003, from Kent, UK

Postby GaryG; Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:35 am Re: What are you watching?

hibidy wrote:There is no point in TV that is "real". There is enough shitty shit in real life to watch that stuff. Not that I didn't watch SGU or BSG, but SG1 AND SGA were far better. More "us vs them" with a hopeful aspect. They were fun. If it's so involved all the time it just reminds me of what sucks. I like a fantasy aspect.

That's an interesting thing for me: I still view them as fantasy however 'real' they get. I'll get totally down watching some hard hitting documentary but not watching BSG (for example). Mean and moody and people being crappy to each other but it's still a fantasy to me... :shrug:

Whatever, not like we're fighting over the remote or anything to enforce our choices on each other (though could be an amusing sitcom set up... :))
()_()
(O.o)
(")(")
addled muppet weed

33877 posts since 25 Jan, 2003, from through the looking glass

Postby vurt; Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:44 am Re: What are you watching?

ive been enjoying the latest series of sherlock.
i like the way they have modernised the old stories and it still works well.
worth catching if you enjoy the whole sherlock holmes story/mythos.

but id try and watch the first two series first as while each is a self enclosed story there are also the story arc that follows through the whole thing that you may think wtf? if you havent seen the earlier ones.
Beware the Quoth

20699 posts since 3 Sep, 2001, from R'lyeh Oceanic Amusement Park and Funfair

Postby whyterabbyt; Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:37 am Re: What are you watching?

SODDI wrote:There is a lot more to Korean movies than just espionage and NK/SK dramas..

There definitely must be, as Ive seen none of either type, despite having watched more than a few Korean films. R-Point might be the only one that even mentions NK.

Other Korean highlights (for me) not mentioned so far include 3-Iron, A Bittersweet Life, I'm a Cyborg But Thats OK, and The Isle.
To laymen, software development is something akin to wizardry. Neither time, nor effort are involved. If software is missing features they want, or has bugs, it is solely because someone has been too lazy to wave their magic wand.
PreviousNext

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Off Topic