What is KVR Audio? | Submit News | Advertise | Developer Account

Options (Affects News & Product results only):

OS:
Format:
Include:
Quick Search KVR

"Quick Search" KVR Audio's Product Database, News Items, Developer Listings, Forum Topics and videos here. For advanced Product Database searching please use the full product search. For the forum you can use the phpBB forum search.

To utilize the power of Google you can use the integrated Google Site Search.

Products 0

Developers 0

News 0

Forum 0

Videos 0

Search  

Obxd synthesizer

VST, AU, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

KVRian
 
1463 posts since 13 Oct, 2002

Postby Breeze; Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:20 am Re: Obxd synthesizer

aciddose wrote:If there is a transpose control you only need -50 to +50 cents to get a full range (technically still 1 overlap), although that bothers some people. I don't understand why because it bothers me a heck of a lot more that you can use "detune" to transpose by a semitone. -99 and +99 are no better.

More importantly, by halving the range (to the minimum) you double the accuracy. Not as important in software with shift-drag and so on, but it sure is important in hardware.

Just saying though, doesn't bother me either way in this case.

Fair enough. Your discussion brings up another point: there's no overall synth step transpose. Suppose you do a PENV on OSC2 and then bring up OSC1 Pitch to match it. You can compensate for 440 Hz tuning, but you can't just transpose the entire synth by steps to concert pitch. Then again, that's not part of the OBX design. But it would be an elegant way of getting around the OSC2 unidirectional pitch limitation.

Another way would be to actually put add a second controller for pitch OSC2 down and map them both to the same button so that at 12 0'clock they're both 0. That way the same range would be available in both directions (no change in accuracy!) and previously programmed patches would be fine.

fluffy_little_something wrote:Talking about tuning, it would also help if the pitch knobs as such could only be set to whole semitones, not continuously, especially since there is no value display.

I disagree that they should be so full time, but that's what the "STEP" switch is for. ;) But IMO, the step should also be a "setter": use it to set the value to a semitone and then disengage it and alter the pitch. Currently it doesn't do that.
Last edited by Breeze on Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
KVRAF
 
2305 posts since 5 Jun, 2012

Postby fluffy_little_something; Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:30 am Re: Obxd synthesizer

Breeze wrote:
fluffy_little_something wrote:Talking about tuning, it would also help if the pitch knobs as such could only be set to whole semitones, not continuously, especially since there is no value display.

I disagree that they should be so full time, but that's what the "STEP" switch is for. ;)


Oh, that's what Step is for :D I remember pressing it a couple of times, but never noticed any difference, so I forgot about it :hihi:
KVRian
 
1463 posts since 13 Oct, 2002

Postby Breeze; Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:54 am Re: Obxd synthesizer

fluffy_little_something wrote:I am using Mulab, 32-bit.

What version are you using? I just tried in Mulab 5.3.14 32-bit with the latest Obxd and there's no issues with your settings or any of the patches I've created. But my version of Mulab isn't the latest which is 5.3.25. Maybe that's the problem. Are you sure you're using the latest Obxd?
User avatar
KVRAF
 
2305 posts since 5 Jun, 2012

Postby fluffy_little_something; Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:58 am Re: Obxd synthesizer

Breeze wrote:
fluffy_little_something wrote:I am using Mulab, 32-bit.

What version are you using? I just tried in Mulab 5.3.14 32-bit with the latest Obxd and there's no issues with your settings or any of the patches I've created. But my version of Mulab isn't the latest which is 5.3.25. Maybe that's the problem. Are you sure you're using the latest Obxd?


Yes, I think I am using the latest version of the synth.
And indeed 5.3.25 of Mulab...
KVRist
 
265 posts since 21 Jun, 2013

Postby 2DaT; Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:14 am Re: Obxd synthesizer

fluffy_little_something wrote:
Breeze wrote:
fluffy_little_something wrote:I am using Mulab, 32-bit.

What version are you using? I just tried in Mulab 5.3.14 32-bit with the latest Obxd and there's no issues with your settings or any of the patches I've created. But my version of Mulab isn't the latest which is 5.3.25. Maybe that's the problem. Are you sure you're using the latest Obxd?


Yes, I think I am using the latest version of the synth.
And indeed 5.3.25 of Mulab...

Does it crash when you set osc2 as target?
User avatar
KVRAF
 
2305 posts since 5 Jun, 2012

Postby fluffy_little_something; Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:19 am Re: Obxd synthesizer

2DaT wrote:
fluffy_little_something wrote:
Breeze wrote:
fluffy_little_something wrote:I am using Mulab, 32-bit.

What version are you using? I just tried in Mulab 5.3.14 32-bit with the latest Obxd and there's no issues with your settings or any of the patches I've created. But my version of Mulab isn't the latest which is 5.3.25. Maybe that's the problem. Are you sure you're using the latest Obxd?


Yes, I think I am using the latest version of the synth.
And indeed 5.3.25 of Mulab...

Does it crash when you set osc2 as target?


Interestingly, it already happens if I don't select any osc as an PWM target, but set both osc's to zero in the mixer.
Actually, all I need to do is take the default patch and set both osc's to zero in the mixer and select the 24db filter. That alone does it :D Seems the 24db filter is the culprit...
User avatar
KVRAF
 
2305 posts since 5 Jun, 2012

Postby fluffy_little_something; Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:25 am Re: Obxd synthesizer

I know it is not the original layout, but I was bored :D and thought this layout would be more logical as there would be an invisible table so to speak, grouping parameters together depending on which osc or osc's they apply to. The first line would be the waveform line, the second line the tuning line, the third line with global Bright and detune for osc 2, and the last line would be the modulation line, also corresponding to the osc's.
https://app.box.com/s/84msten869t4ey1uz5mq
KVRist
 
265 posts since 21 Jun, 2013

Postby 2DaT; Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:32 am Re: Obxd synthesizer

fluffy_little_something wrote:
2DaT wrote:
fluffy_little_something wrote:
Breeze wrote:
fluffy_little_something wrote:I am using Mulab, 32-bit.

What version are you using? I just tried in Mulab 5.3.14 32-bit with the latest Obxd and there's no issues with your settings or any of the patches I've created. But my version of Mulab isn't the latest which is 5.3.25. Maybe that's the problem. Are you sure you're using the latest Obxd?


Yes, I think I am using the latest version of the synth.
And indeed 5.3.25 of Mulab...

Does it crash when you set osc2 as target?


Interestingly, it already happens if I don't select any osc as an PWM target, but set both osc's to zero in the mixer.
Actually, all I need to do is take the default patch and set both osc's to zero in the mixer and select the 24db filter. That alone does it :D Seems the 24db filter is the culprit...

Denormals.... I am wondering why this doesnt happened to 12db filter.
User avatar
KVRAF
 
2305 posts since 5 Jun, 2012

Postby fluffy_little_something; Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:45 am Re: Obxd synthesizer

The sound as such is really huge. Most synths sound weak and empty on my studio headphones, not so this one :) One can almost feel the bottom.

What might be reasonable is an automatic volume compensation for Unison. When you switch from poly to 8-voice unison, it is so much louder. I suppose 3-voice unison should be leveled down to non-unison volume. Fewer or more unison voices would not deviate that much from the 3-voice volume anymore.

And a bypass switch for all 8 voice pan knobs together, so one can A/B without having to reset the 8 values. So one could make an init patch with carefully designed panorama settings suitable for most poly sounds, and turn them all off for leads etc.

I know this is beyond the original, but who cares :wink:
User avatar
KVRAF
 
2230 posts since 18 Jul, 2008, from New York
  

Postby Frantz; Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:13 am Re: Obxd synthesizer

fluffy_little_something wrote:What might be reasonable is an automatic volume compensation for Unison.


What might be reasonable is stopping all of the feature requests until the first version is finished. :wink:
Fragile Gods: SoundCloud | Facebook
User avatar
KVRAF
 
2305 posts since 5 Jun, 2012

Postby fluffy_little_something; Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:16 am Re: Obxd synthesizer

Frantz wrote:
fluffy_little_something wrote:What might be reasonable is an automatic volume compensation for Unison.


What might be reasonable is stopping all of the feature requests until the first version is finished. :wink:


I don't make feature requests. It is free, so who am I to make feature requests...
I am making feature suggestions :wink:
User avatar
KVRian
 
1358 posts since 11 Jun, 2006

Postby layzer; Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:51 am Re: Obxd synthesizer

fluffy_little_something wrote:
Frantz wrote:
fluffy_little_something wrote:What might be reasonable is an automatic volume compensation for Unison.


What might be reasonable is stopping all of the feature requests until the first version is finished. :wink:


I don't make feature requests. It is free, so who am I to make feature requests...
I am making feature suggestions :wink:


thats what suggestion boxes are for! all suggestions welcome! i'm sure 2D takes all suggestions into consideration, and may make it into a future revision. nothing wrong with that, i think the GUI and feature set is locked for now and 2D is working on the actual GUI binding. i like ED's idea of voice led's and would like to see it in later versions suggest away, fluffy :D
Last edited by layzer on Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77]
HW MODULES [OB M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880]
SW [DIM PRO - RAPTURE - Z3TA+ - CRONOX3 - KLC - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK XPSP3 PC/MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]
User avatar
KVRAF
 
2305 posts since 5 Jun, 2012

Postby fluffy_little_something; Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:58 am Re: Obxd synthesizer

2DaT wrote:Denormals.... I am wondering why this doesnt happened to 12db filter.


No idea. I don't think I ever tried that with the older version before you increased the volume of the 24db filter. Maybe it has to do with that change...
If you still have the old version I could test it.

As I said, in my second DAW the problem does not exist. There are certain CPU spikes, but never beyond 15% or so, usually settling at 5 to 10%. The developer of Mulab says his DAW does not include a mechanism to eliminate denormals, he says VST's shouldn't produce them in the first place.
User avatar
KVRian
 
726 posts since 24 May, 2006, from Space City, USA

Postby SciFiArtMan; Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:48 am Re: Obxd synthesizer

layzer wrote:...i like ED's idea of voice led's and would like to see it in later versions suggest away...

I like the Voice LED idea too, but wonder if the lights might be better suited in the Voice Pan area, next to each pan knob somehow. The Voice Pan Bypass Switch is an interesting idea too!

If and when that time comes.
Image
User avatar
KVRian
 
1358 posts since 11 Jun, 2006

Postby layzer; Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:56 am Re: Obxd synthesizer

SciFiArtMan wrote:I like the Voice LED idea too, but wonder if the lights might be better suited in the Voice Pan area, next to each pan knob somehow.


or as a blinking 12 'oc dot on each voice pot, hey theres a way to make the dot even more important, eh? :hihi:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77]
HW MODULES [OB M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880]
SW [DIM PRO - RAPTURE - Z3TA+ - CRONOX3 - KLC - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK XPSP3 PC/MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]
PreviousNext

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Instruments